Harpeth Hall 60 - Oliver Springs 57

CoachT

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoss 51, Hall went down from contact to the body from #23. She did get all ball on the block and a lot of body while getting the block. It was like that on a lot of shots, but that one took the CAKe and that's why Coach Wright got the T.

I don't want to take anything away from Harpeth Hall because they were up when it happened, but Hall should have been at the line with a chance to tie the game.

Hall also played on a sprained ankle that she appeared to reaggraviate at the 2:53 mark of the first quarter when she scored on the back cut to the basket. She played the remainder of the game, but you could see several times in which she wasn't at full speed. Sorry that you only got to see Hall at full speed for 5:07.

Edited by goosevol

Sounds as if goosevol and CoachT are suggesting that the refs had to be for

Harpeth Hall. Otherwise, Oliver Springs could never lose to a Division II school.

This was a home game. CORRECT?? Do you know how hard it is for a team

from another part of the state to win an away game? (EXAMPLE: Knox Webb game). Also, do you realize how difficult it is to be a private school and playing a

public school on their home court. All private schools know what I'm referring to in

this case.

I'm not a Harpeth Hall supporter but let's give them some credit. They went in

and got a big win over a really good team (after a big loss the night before). If

this had been Lawrence County or a Jackson County and everyone said they won

because of the fouls, do you think you would take the same position. No way!

Also, since when is 76% free throw shooting as a team considered outstanding!

It's good but nothing to write about!

Edited by briank

NO one said they won because of the foul situation !!! They are a very good team and had more than just the 2 players that were talked about on another thread. Maybe just maybe this will lay the homecooking claim @ OS to rest. LOL......

Each of the first 5 post refers to foul shots, fouls and/or how rough the game was.

I never said the refs gave the game to Harpeth Hall. I think they missed a call at a critical situation and then made things worse by slapping a coach with a technical after they made a mistake. But I also felt there were similar plays to that in which no calls were made so at least the officials were consistent and that's generally what fans want to see. I'll admit that a game that rough would be hard to call with a two-man crew.

I still think the key to the game was Honeybear guard Nancy Sisk burying the four three-pointers in a span of 3:48. That erased Oliver Springs' lead and gave Harpeth Hall a lot of confidence.

I do believe that Harpeth Hall is the most physical team that OS has played this season. To me and many other OS fans, they got away with far too much bumping and banging. I'm sure Harpeth Hall fans will say that's just part of the game and so be it. I don't think it makes OS any less of a team and that type of game will only help them come tournament time.

Good luck to Harpeth Hall.

I was the one that asked CoachT to post the foul shooting statistics. I sent it and the score to him immediately following the game with my pager. It was a physical game on both sides and those numbers surprised me a great deal.

Oliver Springs was only whistled for three more personal fouls than Harpeth Hall. Because of the Bears' size, more OS fouls were on HH's inside shot attempts. On the other end, many Harpeth Hall fouls were ruled "on the floor" for using too much body when OS got the ball inside.

I don't see how anyone can argue with Goose, though. If it happened under the south goal, there's no way Goose could have missed it.

There were tough calls going either way, although the non call on Laura Hall was a a tough one. I have seen a lot of games this year, KIL, Nashville area, Tri County area, and it seems that in close games with a couple minutes and less on the clock the refs seem to swallow the whistle. But to criticize these two refs is rough. I was dissapointed that there were only two refs for a game of this calibur. Three refs can't catch everything so I doubt two could catch half. The technical on coach wright was a touch call during a critical time of the game. It makes me wonder that if the student section and the fans on the left side of the gym (especially the guy in the orange cap) wore on him. But it was an amazing game with two really talented and well coached teams.

Edited by comucazi

Lots of NO call both ways!! OS missed lots of open shots. You can never blame a loss on the last minutes of a game, there was 28 minutes of game before the last 4 minutes that 2 great b ball teams played. These types of games is what makes teams better just like the loss to Webb the night before better for HH. Great job both teams, one of the best teams OS has played all year!!!!