It's been real fun...

Sommers

Comment'S for both D1 & D2:

Hey folks it was fun renewing relationships and seeing all the action the last couple of weeks. State was fun, the hospitality room was well run and with great people serving, although more/better selections of food would be nice (come & compare the quality of food to G.P. West, Ravenwood, and Tullahoma).

If Chattanooga is to remain the annual venue, I think more consideration could be given to the teams that travel from several hours away, i.e., free parking + closer to the arena; and perhaps a few other perks like donated food and drinks in the arena for coaches and wrestlers as well as discounted hotel and restaurant coupons. It's not like we'd be asking for a share of profits like the professional athletes do today, but where would we be without "the big draw," our wrestling teams?

It's been fun discussing a few topics and ideas for this great sport lately!! I've enjoyed interacting with such knowledgeable folks all over Tennessee.

By the way, on our refs... Mara was perfect in every call that I saw, as he usually has been over the past 35 years or so & thank goodness we had no other Scooter incidents like last years; Craft + Elsie (even with the 145-D1 dispute) were excellent. Gilbert and Faircloth were also all over it throughout; although Dan needs to focus on his Owls now :) . Jack, your energy amazes me :D . Jim Simpson very steady and fair. Congrats to our new pro in Steve Craig and his new honor of calling state.

The following are a few observations of both D1 & D2 room the past few days.

AS FAR AS D1, I believe we saw more parity from through out the state and this may be a growing trend. I also saw a better showing with 10 middle Tennessee wrestlers in the finals and three 1st place finishers and easily more,,, IF....

Also, last year there was only one gold in this whole mid-state area.

Congrats to two great wrestlers in Shawn Cordell and Ari Ibrahim. Did ya'll know Ari has never gone to a camp or had advanced training other than his great coaching there at Overton?

Congrats to Cody Cleveland & his fine family from Tullahoma, who helped the Big Blue by defeating a very good Tim Manson of Baylor. Not enough though to overcome what I thought Baylor could probably do some two months ago if this tournament was held then.

To Nic Bundy of Hendersonville who became powerful in this tournament and even dominated Danny Coleman 11-6.

To Kyle James, a fine Young man who won another!! Ant to Kelly Felix of Franklin who made his mark as a freshman.

To Jordan Leen & Ryan Scott (Mc) by being one of a few who made that BIG NUMBER FOUR!!

To John Lane for yet another strong showing even with a very sore knee.

To Joe's son Daniel Waddell who got second to a fine Andrew Smith of McCallie. I know Daniel will make his daddy even prouder in coming seasons. His dad needs it badly right now :) .

To Kellen Holliman who hung in there with a highly talented BC wrestler in Jake West. Stalling called or not called was my only issue with the match. But congrats to both very talented wrestlers and especially to this fine young sophomore, Kellen of Brentwood.

To Luke Sanders who worked so hard to reach his goal. And to Bond Davis who may have won an unofficial most outstanding wrestler "Silver" award because of his being extremely sick and not wanting anyone to know. Several great challenges, including another overtime match against the great one of SD, Craig Potter.

My hat's off to Bond!! Hopefully my Spencer doesn't end up in the same weight class next year. Bond will steamroll his senior year!!

To Nick Marable by controlling Spencer Manley and winning 10-5. I thought his win would be much closer than that, but I had a feeling Nick would be well prepared and have enough skill to overcome Spencer's physical strength. I'll have to add that there's no doubt, in my mind, McCallie didn't have anyone that could handle Nick today, including the champion Ryan Scott.

Also, big congrats to Michael M. for yet another championship. Following in their dad's footsteps!!

To Adam Stark of Ryan, who has amazed folks all year on his talents.

To a solid Paul Campbell who defeated a future state champ in Kenny Meredith. He, Kenny, is as strong as a wrestler can get and one more year to add a few more moves. Brands may have to protect his home turf on this young man.

J.T. Wash of Brentwood Academy for finishing what many felt he would do. I was very wrong with Saint's injuries to think he could measure up to what JT brought to the table or "mat" in this case. :P 215 and probably a couple of other weight classes were clearly D2's strength.

Big congrats to Matt Bailey & his family, who I felt became what he needed to be about two or three weeks ago, to win state and meet the challenge of Ben Hazelett of Union County.

Also,,, watch out for Travis Creagan, another great freshman who will help Chad Laxton overcome 10 leaving next year and become what Steve has enjoyed/endured the last several seasons.

Congrats to Steve and his fine wife & family!! May you continue this great success within the walls of your own home and as an administrator.

By the way, sly was right. Steve did confirm that "if you bash someone you are a coward if you are unwilling to identify yourself." SO DON'T BASH OR THROW SUCKER PUNCHES WITHOUT COMING OUT FROM BENEATH YOUR ROCKS.

Oh, and I talked with Irishdad this weekend. He says he enjoyed creating a lot of controversy, but it may have gotten out of control though, and he decided to bow out as I'm doing now.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

Be safe and may God bless you all!!

Dave

Edited by Sommers

I know Holliman got a stalling point early. Also, I think West got an escape and a takedown. Then, Holliman was up 3-2 in the third. He optioned and cut West to tie the score. He couldn't get a takedown. Lot's of nothing for the third period and overtime. West rode Holliman well in 2OT to win it. It was a good match. Sorry I can't remember exactly what happened, but I watched like 1000 matches this weekend.