How good is Tennessee baseball?

bombboy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say we fall about right in the middle. We're better than a lot of states, but a lot of states are definately better than us. It has to do with all kinds of demographics. Population is a major factor. Obviously Florida, California, Texas, etc are going to produce more and better athletes on average. There's just more to choose from. Same reason on average AAA schools have more talent than A schools.

In addition to demographics you have to consider climate. Players in warm weather states have an advantage because they can be outside all 12 months out of the year.

Tennessee is projected to rank 5th in the country in "1st day draft picks" this year. Admittedly it's a strong class this year. Tennessee has ranked 15th over the past 5 years.

http://www.perfectgame.org/2003/draftstate.html

Not bad when you consider there are 50 states, with several more populous and in better year-round climate.

Edited by bizazz

Top 15 states by "RESIDENT POPULATION" with projected first day 2004 draft picks rank in ()

Tennessee also comes in at #5 at the number of draft picks through the first 5 rounds in 2004. This is just as Bizazz says, but shows how states stack up by population. Tennessee has been coming on in high school baseball for a few years now and 2004 is an outstanding class.

• California - 35,484,453 - (1)
  • Texas - 22,118,509 - (3)
  • New York - 19,190,115 - (18)
  • Florida - 17,019,068 - (2)
  • Illinois - 12,653,544 - (20)
  • Pennsylvania - 12,365,455 - (7)
  • Ohio - 11,435,798 - (16)
  • Michigan - 10,079,985 - (26)
  • Georgia - 8,684,715 - (4)
  • New Jersey - 8,638,396 - (15)
  • North Carolina - 8,407,248 - (14)
  • Virginia - 7,386,330 - (11)
  • Massachusetts - 6,433,422 - (19)
  • Indiana - 6,195,643 - (22)
  • Washington - 6,131,445 - (6)
  • Tennessee - 5,841,748 - (5)

Edited by HiwasseeVol

ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEERROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

In 6 of the 11 years an out of state team has made the championship game

1993 Houston 7 Senatobia MS 2

1995 Hendersonville 3 Tupelo MS 1

1998 Tullahoma 3 Crestview FL 0

2000 Oakland 10 Christian Brothers NJ 0

2002 Germantown 15 Westminster Christian FL 1

2003 Germantown 8 Pensacola Catholic 6

Edited by jdmtpb

If tennessee has ranked 15th over the past 5 years. It basicly means every state with a better climate has more or better players. You do the math: Florida, georgia, south carolina, alabama, mississippi, texas, oklahoma, arkansas, louisana, arizona, california, new mexico, hawaii= 13 states. Now factor the states that have much larger populations such new york, michigan,or ohio. In my estimation if tennessee is in the 15-20 range it is right were it should be.

If tennessee has ranked 15th over the past 5 years. It basicly means every state with a better climate has more or better players. You do the math: Florida, georgia, south carolina, alabama, mississippi, texas, oklahoma, arkansas, louisana, arizona, california, new mexico, hawaii= 13 states. Now factor the states that have much larger populations such new york, michigan,or ohio. In my estimation if tennessee is in the 15-20 range it is right were it should be.

chevelle,

Not sure I follow some of those states with warm climates:

Hawaii - 38th over the last five years

South Carolina - 25th over the last five years

Alabama - 17th over the last five years

Oklahoma - 18th over the last five years

Arkansas - 27th over the last five years

New Mexico - 36th over the last five years

Mississippi - 22nd over the last five years

I can tell you from talking with scouts and college coaches at Jupiter, FL in October as well with Baseball publications... they are all in agreement that Tennessee baseball has been on the rise and it shows by the #5 spot in this years projected "04" draft.

It really has been a buzz around the country.

Another factor that points to Tennessee's talent is the success of some of its summer teams. Dulins Dodgers, Knoxville Yard, Knoxville Thunder, Knoxville Stares, Chattanooga Colonels and Cyclones have represented well in National events. I'm sure there are similar programs in the Nashville area. I'm just not familiar with them.

Edited by bizazz

My older brother is a coach at the Major league level and he says that Tennessee's talent pool is seriously considered. Over the last 4-5 years, players and teams have improved in Tennessee.

I was wondering, out of all the sanctioned baseball tournaments (AAU, CABA, AABC and the like) every summer for ages 16 - 18 years old, how well do the Tennessee teams do? Do many earn there way to a World Series or win one for that mater each year? I'm aware of several summer league programs across the state that make it to the finals of their respected World Series every year. These young players are playing against the so coalled studs from the "powerhouse" states and are competing very well.