Officiating in District 9-AA Tournament

PageMan

After a season of calling hand checks, reach ins, & other touch fouls, the same officials are taking a "let 'em play" attitude in the district tournament. In the Lewis Co./Marshall Co game, Lewis was called for 10 fouls, Marshall 14. In the Fairview/Page game, Fairview 10, Page 24. Page being the exception to the trend, being called for 12 in each half, and losing their two top scorers, Bagsby & Harmon to foul trouble. Page also had two other players with 4 fouls each.

It will be interesting to see how the games are called tonight between Giles Co. & Lewis Co. and Loretto & Fairview. Will it have an effect on the games and the way each team plays or will it be a non-factor?

Nice observation PageMan. It may be that the officials are calling differently, but it may be a little too early to tell. I didn't see the Page/Fairview game but I did see the Lewis Co./Marshall Co. game. In that game neither team pressed on defense and neither team really took it to the other team on offense, especially Marshall Co. Both teams were patient and seemed content to just pass the ball around as you can tell by the final score of 29-24.

Actually, at the half Giles had 13 fouls with Taylor Wade with three. For the game, Giles had 21, Lewis 19. In the 2nd game, Loretto had 19 and Fairview had 23 with 20 of those in the 2nd half including a technical on Coach Ricky Bledsoe. Although there were more fouls called tonight, the officials still seem to be letting some fouls go uncalled. Overall tonight, I guess the officiating was OK if your team won. As the losing teams foul late in the games, it adds more to the total. If your team is a good FT shooting win, you should be able to hold your lead. I don't know really if it had a great effect on the games tonight, except maybe the Loretto/Fairview game. Yesterday's games will not as intense as today's games so maybe that's the difference. Will see how it affects Thursday's games, especially the championship game between Giles Co. & Loretto.

i will agree with you pageman, fouls are not being called like they were in the regular season. and the refs are calling fouls late in games when people are trying to foul so they look like they are calling a lot of fouls. I just have one question for you pageman and any one else that wants to comment. If the cheap shot foul that took #30 for Fairview out of the game had happen to say, Tyler Smith, the offending player would have been ejected without a question. So why was the Loretto player not ejected? I was at the game, have seen the film this morning, and it was obvious that the Loretto player was trying to injure #30. On the tape, the offside wing took off in a full sprint before #30 drove the lane, when #30 spun around the psot player the Loretto player put the best foreman bar to #30 head and form tackle I have ever seen. So i want to know what people's opinion is that was at the game.

ballbasher30, the officials did call an intentional foul on the Loretto player, I can't remember exactly who did the foul however. I guess if the foul had been called flagrant it would have resulted in an ejection. I hate to see any player on any team get injured during a game. Even though Kori came back and played in the 4th qtr, she looked a little unstable to me. I hope her injury is not serious. She is a great player that will be needed in Thurs. game with Lewis Co.