Clay Co. vs Temple Update

sam4vol

The final score doesn't represent the game very well. Temple outplayed Clay in nearly every category except the free throw line. Clay took advantage of Temple's anemic shooting and hung in there 'til the last seconds. There were a couple of questionable calls, particularly ones where refs from the opposite side of the court called violations and refs just a few feet away didn't. But the calls were pretty consistent and that's all you can ask for. If Temple can hit foul shots, they'll be tough to beat in Murfreesboro. With tight defense, Caleb Skogen playing his best basketball of the year, and the all-important experience factor, the Crusader's have all the ingredients to 3-peat.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Temple. You have apparently picked it up when you needed to.

At the same time, I have seen the team play before, and even though kids deserve credit for being back to the State again, it reminds me just how weak the single A division actually is.

Last year Temple would have competed even in the larger divisions. This year they are a much weaker team, who would likely get pounded by 40 or more AAA teams 9-10 times and I would think 15-20 teams in AA would beat them handily.

In spite of that, no one can diminish the accomplishment of a group of kids who has made it this far three years in a row.

The mtnman was right, Clay fans will say something about the refs and I'll be the first to do it. This game was 8 on 5. If you don't think those refs were bias then you weren't watching the game at all. Every single solitary time that either Skogan went to the basket he took 4 to 5 steps and then, no matter how close a Clay Co. player was to him, a foul was called. On the other end of the court Clay would go up and get the same contact and maybe 1 out of 5 times get the call. As hard as we took the ball to the rack there is no way that Temple shouldn't have had someone foul out. It's just horrible that 3 refs can end a teams season and no even give them a chance to win. The reason we had a chance is because Temple couldn't hit a free throw for nothing. It's funny how it was said that Temple was the more talented team when they had to play 8 on 5 to win by 2 and almost lost on a last second shot. Unless the games are called like this one was tonight at state Temple won't win the first game there. Now we did have some shots that we should have made late but without those refs we win by 15 to 20 easy. Temple is no where near the team they were last year, but if refs let them do whatever they want and bail them out every time they take a tough shot then no one can beat them. The better team got screwed over last night plain and simple.

Edited by Dawg05

I have seen alot of teams play this year and Clay Co. was not one of the better ones. They played very physical and never let themselves out of the game, I was impressed with that. Temple is not near the team they were last year but they are a very young and very talented team.

Temple has a tendency to get calls, I will admit that. I have seen it for 10 years but if you play this series 10 times, Temple wins at least 8.

The refs did make alot of calls out of position but they were on both sides. (more for Clay Co I will admit)

The big guys fifth foul was stupid. He mauled Skogen. Why do this when he had four already, it puts him out of the game. Maybe on the second or third foul but not when he is out there with four fouls. I don't even mind the hard foul, I think it made Seth think twice about taking the ball hard to the basket the next time.

Just my observations. (from someone who is not a big Temple fan)

With the Grace win it makes it 2-2 for region 3-A. (Grace is also young and talented)

I just want to say to the Temple guys...Congratulations... 3 years in a row is a great accomplishment.... Now.... dont be satisfied......work your butts off in practice and it will pay off... It has for the past 2 years....Lets try and make it 3....Dont think about us not having any seniors and that we always have next year..... you never know what can happen, There are no guarrantees for next year, so take advantage of this year. Lock down, rebound, and for goodness sake someone take a charge. The offense is going to come, just worry about the defensive end of the floor. Seth, Dee, and Josh....you guys arent freshmen anymore..... play like sophmores... play like it is your last season..... Zack, Sean, and Caleb....you guys are the heart of the team.... play like it and lead Temple back to the state title for the 3rd straight year.

Temple cried all night about the way they were gettin shoved around. If you think you even have a chance to get pass the 1st round at "Boro" you better get over it. Temple plays gutless bball and crying all the time. the big guy that "mauled" Skogen should've put him down for good. Women refs shouldn't be allowed to ref guys bball games. Temple is cocky and definitly not a class act. Most of their players were cussing our players and aren't they a christian school? Congrats to Clay Co. boys on a great season and to Coach Edwards, especially for not losing his temper in the game.

As a semi-neutral observer from Chattanooga, I thought it was a low scoring, defensive game. Both teams missed a lot of shots and it got physical at times under the boards. The ref's did their best to keep things in check but there were questionable calls on both sides. It came down to the wire and both teams can be proud of their performance. It was not pretty, it was not fancy, but it was a fun game to watch.

Good luck to Temple as they move on and good luck to the Lady Dawgs at State.

Temple cried all night about the way they were gettin shoved around. If you think you even have a chance to get pass the 1st round at "Boro" you better get over it. Temple plays gutless bball and crying all the time. the big guy that "mauled" Skogen should've put him down for good. Women refs shouldn't be allowed to ref guys bball games. Temple is cocky and definitly not a class act. Most of their players were cussing our players and aren't they a christian school? Congrats to Clay Co. boys on a great season and to Coach Edwards, especially for not losing his temper in the game.

I'm sorry -- but I really find it hard to believe that the Temple guys were "cussing" your players. Don't even try to make our guys look bad -- because they're not. And you've really got a problem to tell a bball player to put someone down.

What kind of a ball team are you trying to create -- to teach them to be violent on the court. Come on!! It's basketball!!

Temple has always had the ability to get calls, some call it crying. I didn't see them crying or even backing down.

Putting someone down is not basketball. Like I said it was an ugly foul that has no place in HS b-ball but I don't mind seeing Temple get hammered every once in awhile.

I don't think I have ever seen Temple be cocky. C. Skogen has a little edge but when he takes someone to the hoop, he usually just gets back on defense. Actually, Temple would probably be a better team with a little more cockiness.

Couldn't hear players on the court over the Clay Co fans yelling about the refs, but I doubt the cussing.

I agree with you about the Clay Co. coach, he seemed like a class act but so did Temple. Actually everyone on the court conducted themselves very classy in my opinion.

Everyone needs to ignore dawg0 or whatever his/her name is. It is obvious from the posts that he/she is maybe in junior high and shows none of the class that the Clay County coach and players showed. CC held themselves as they did the year before in a way that should make their school proud of them, and I know that you all are. They played aggressive because that is their style and their is nothing wrong with that, it is part of the game, and the Temple kids could learn something from them on that front.

As far as the refs go, that is simply not what classy programs point to after a loss. And again, I will be that the CC players and coaches aren't pointing there either.

Yes Oldtimer we are 15-20 points better and the refs did give Temple the win. Your boys are also as cocky as they get and so is your coach. That doesn't really bother me but it bothers me that that gets them calls. The fact that you can say we got alot of calls shows you didn't watch the game. Temple walk at least 10 times in this game and it wasn't called except for 1 time, I think. Every time we took the ball to the rack we got fouled and it was hardly ever called. Every time Temple went we got a foul no matter what. That's why we finally put someone on the ground. He was gonna get the foul anyway, might as well make it count. Ya'll won't last much longer unless you get the calls agian.