Peabody vs. Perry Co.

GC80

Although I agree Perry Co will give Peabody a better game than Cosby I have to say Peabody is poised to win their 2nd gold ball. Today's game was just a warm up and i am expecting much of the same friday. They will win by 10 for 2 reasons:

#1 Peabody's defense might allow 1 girl to score a lot but not 2 or more and their pressure will cause PC to have atleast 15 or more turnovers.

#2Who will PC guard on Peabody's team they have 7 girls that will all light you up on any given night. Today was Simpson Friday it might be Barnett, Bobbitt, Ford, Long, Anderson, or Sturdivant.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hats off to the Perry County Vikings for making it to the state tournament. However, I really do not think that they can compete with the athleticism and depth of the Tidettes. Like Storm says, Peabody scored nearly 70 points while playing extremely sluggish against an absolutely horrible team. I don't want to hurt Cosby's feelings, but I am honestly not sure how in the world they made it to Murfreesboro.

Perry County will give the Tidettes a better run for their money, but it is in those situations that the girls will thrive. One of the most intense games I witnessed all year was the Peabody-Gleason game, and the Tidettes won that one by thirty points.

Peabody by 23.

Then Peabody and Huntingdon for the gold ball. I don't have the guts to call that one.

Ok lets analyze the matchups here for a second:

Peabody plays a terrible (sorry but it is true) Cosby team and wins by 28.

Perry Co. plays what many people were saying was the 3rd, maybe even 2nd best team in the state in Clay Co. and win by 4.

Summertown plays Huntingdon and leads at halftime and is only down 4 with 5:00 minutes left to play before Summertown stops hitting shots and Fuller goes on a scoring spree. Huntingdon ends up winning by 16.

Perry Co. has beat Summertown twice and lost to them twice. In both losses, Perry Co. was up (14, i think, in the regional final) before getting bored and letting the Lady Eagles back in it. In the PC wins, they won by 12 and 8. These were games that were close, very much like the Huntingdon game, until PC decided to step up and win the game at the end.

Perry Co. is a team that strives in close games. The games that they lose are games where they are up by 8 - 14 points with let's say 3:00 - 4:00 minutes left to go and they let up a little and let teams back in it. When the games are tight (which in some freaky way I think the PC players like it that way) they play better. I'm sure they know tomorrow will be a fight, one they are probably looking forward too.

Also, Huntingdon and Perry Co. have played some of the same teams this year such as:

1. Perry Co. played Waverly Central and won by 4 and 8, while Huntingdon beat Waverly Central by 2 and 8.

2. Perry Co. beat Lexington by 24, while Huntindon beat Lexington by 23 and 27.

Hmmmm.....the games between these two teams and other teams are strangely close.

Ok, with all that, let me start by saying that Fuller absolutely dominated Summertown on the inside. Why??? Summertown did not have the height and "know-how" in the post to stop her. Perry Co. on the other hand would match up well with Huntingdon and have proven that they can contain big girls (Rich of Clay Co. and Bodiford of DCA). While I know that looking at games between some teams and others are not the best way to predict games, because some teams match up well with others, I feel that all four remaining teams are very equally balanced in height, speed, and athleticism. So, I guess my question is, "How is the Peabody-Huntingdon game to close to call and the Perry Co.-Peabody game a blowout win by the Lady Tide, when Perry Co. is as good as Huntingdon according to matchups and statistics ???

I am interested in hearing any answers to this question, but can I have answers that make sense. Answers of "Peabody will win because I love them" and "Peabody will dominate because they have 12 more people in their cheering section" are not valid points.

Edited by ptguard12

Excellent post ptguard12, however, you do concede that the Vikings allow people to creep back into their games. I think, and this is just one person's opinion, that that is the primary difference between Perry County and Peabody. If you will evaluate their season, you will find that yes, there have been several games in which they started out slow in the first quarter. However, usually by the middle of the third quarter, they begin to squeeze on the neck of their opponent. They have not allowed anyone to take the game from them in the third or fourth quarter.

I believe this is a quality that serves them well when they play good opponents. Gleason started off hanging with the Tidettes, but by the beginning of the fourth quarter, they were down significantly. Peabody refuses to let up on their intensity late in the game. What do you think about that aspect of the game? Do you think Perry County's weakness is Peabody's key to the game?

Also, I think you would find it hard to get anyone to disagree with you on Cosby. They were really awful. I feel sorry for those girls that they had to come to Murfreesboro and go home like that. I wish them good luck in the future, and hope their next season ends with a loss at the buzzer in the substate, in order to save themselves the embarrassment. I really do mean that in a nice way.

In my post, I said that Perry Co. lacks intensity when they start to pull away from teams. Now honestly, I don't expect Perry Co. to lead by anymore then 8 points tomorrow, if that much. These girls play their best when the game is tight throughout or a team has an 8 - 10 point lead on them and they have to fight back. I do agree with you that Peabody is the most intense team in the tourney. However, i feel that Perry Co. is right behind them when it comes to an overall level of intensity in close games. I now have another question, I know that you said that Peabody never lets up on their intensity, but has there ever been a time when Peabody was actually losing a game going into the fourth quarter that they ended up winning (maybe that game against Lake Co.)??? I'm not sure, but hasn't Peabody trailed Gibson Co. all three times going into the fourth quarter? In the game against Bolton, did they trail going into the last minutes of play and they still lost? I guess what I'm trying to say is, Perry Co. has proved that they can play catch up if needed to, but if PC gets has a lead going into the 4th quarter by 6 or so, can Peabody handle it and catch up?

Edited by ptguard12