Rules on your team

lchs_wildcats

Alright, Im a varsity cheerleader for my high school. I've seen a lot of different squads in my time and Sometimes I wonder if some of them have any rules. Like wearing you hair down in a game. Give me a break!? Its a distraction and looks tacky! Also, jewlery..um,..ever thought about ripping your ear lobe? Neclaces..candy neclaces??? Goodness, I can go on and on. You have to set standards and limits. Some of these will cause injury. What are your rules that apply to some of the things I've mentioned?

I, myself, am also a varsity cheerleader. I would like to know what the crap you are talking about! Wearing hair down "tacky" what the heck. Yes we can wear earrings but no hoops just studs, no bobby ins, there is no PDA aloud, and no indecent exposure. I've seen squads do worse stuff than wear their hair down or wear earrings, like maybe wear their tops with jeans and no jacket and showing off half of their dang stomach, now if anything is "tacky" that is. No one wants to see that crap!

Edited by MHScheer

Our squad has STRICT rules...but I think rules make a good squad great. We all have to wear o ur hair up if it's past our shoulders. We have to wear the same ribbon in our hair, the same shoes, the same socks...things like that. We also can't wear any jewelery at all. We also have policies about indecent exposure. We can't wear our uniforms in public. Just simple things like that. We also use a demerit program so that if someone breaks enough rules...they're off the squad. This year to be kicked off you had to receive 25 demerits. They're pretty simple...5 for wearing the wrong shoes/ribbon/socks....10 for missing a game without a doctor's note...5 for missing a practice without a doctor's note...5 for bad conduct....it's not too rough. We also have a certian number of practices we can miss without docotors' notes. It's very detailed but it works well.

During football season we had one coach and she did not care how we wore our hair as long as we felt comfortable with it, but on the other had our coach for basketball season was strict! If our hair was past our shoulders it had to be up, low cut socks, no jewelry, not much make up, and things like that. Like i have my belly button pierced and even if we went a night without stunts i still had to put tape over it...but i guess she just done things like that for safety matters...

I am also a varsity cheerleader, and i don't see why girls would want to wear their hair all the way down at games. it would get in my way. half up half down doesn't look that bad. i agree that the only seeable jewlery should be like stud earings. our coach doesn't care about make-up; however, i think that she should tell some to take it easy. the real fact is it doesn't matter what we think; it matters what our coaches think & tell us to do. well, that's my thoughts.

I agree with you Mrsskewl...our coach is pretty strict about the hair and jewelry thing. EVERYONE has to wear their hair up even if it is shorter than shoulder length. No jewelry AT ALL not even studs...we used to be allowed to wear studs but people abused the privelege and would wear like big ole' diamonds and stuff. And the truth is that is why their are so many rules...people abuse the priveleges they are given. Rules wouldn't be so strict if people didn't push them to the limits. So I am not complaining at all about rules...I think we need them. As a person who always obeys the rules I am given, I think it is unfair to tell one person they can wear their hair down b/c it is above their shoulders and everyone else to wear theirs up. They chose their hairstyle, but they also chose to be a cheerleader and cannot expect to have the rules stretched for them and not everyone else. That is just one example.

I agree with you Mrsskewl...our coach is pretty strict about the hair and jewelry thing. EVERYONE has to wear their hair up even if it is shorter than shoulder length. No jewelry AT ALL not even studs...we used to be allowed to wear studs but people abused the privelege and would wear like big ole' diamonds and stuff. And the truth is that is why their are so many rules...people abuse the priveleges they are given. Rules wouldn't be so strict if people didn't push them to the limits. So I am not complaining at all about rules...I think we need them. As a person who always obeys the rules I am given, I think it is unfair to tell one person they can wear their hair down b/c it is above their shoulders and everyone else to wear theirs up. They chose their hairstyle, but they also chose to be a cheerleader and cannot expect to have the rules stretched for them and not everyone else. That is just one example.

If someone's hair cannot go up in a ponytail then how is that unfair to those who wear their hairup?? all that means is that the people with short hair that wont's go up all the way will have to wear bobby pins and clips to keep all that hair up and from what i understand we are not aloud by TSSAA to wear bobby pins or such, plus they are a safety hazard.

Our squad's policy on hair and jewelry is: Hair must be neat and out of face. No jewelry except stud earrings. HOWEVER...the coach would not enforce this rule. Some girls would wear their hair down, and many commonly wore bracelets, necklaces, and large earrings. This is kind of off-topic, but do any other teams have coaches who do not enforce the rules? My coach is a great person, but afraid to make someone mad I think. Any others? I also agree with the no earring policy, because even studs can be ripped out, or they can stab into your neck during stunts.