College and AAU Coaches

As I sat at the Murphy Center on Thursday I just couldn't help but notice a player from one of the state participants spending alot of time with an AAU team and their owner and coaches. As a High School coach of a team in the state, I would insist that my girls think of nothing but our team while competing. There is plenty of time for AAU later. Your dedication must be 100% toward your team and your team goals at this time. I do not say don't speak to them, just don't sit with them for 45 minutes to an hour talking about AAU goals when you haven't even accomplished your High School goals yet. But you can't place the blame all on the kid. Some AAU programs in Tennessee think they own the whole thing. I am beginning to wonder if that is not the way it is.

My daughters have played AAU with the same coach for years. My youngest since she was 8. They will always seek out their AAU coaches from now until they are 50 because they are close friends! You don't know whether this girl was talking about AAU team goals or dominoes! Just because a girl plays high school ball for you doesn't mean you own her. The best part of AAU is making friends with other players and coaches that otherwise would remain only opponents. High school coaches need to start working with AAU and encouraging their players to find a strong AAU program instead of always downing it and trying to restrict their players! Our first high school coach was critical at first until he saw what a difference it made then he changed his opinion completely.

I agree with you aaumom. I have a daughter playing D1 college ball. If it had not been for her AAU Coach, she may not have played at any level. Her high school Coach did little to help her. She would bring home college letters from schools that her coach let sit on his desk for some weeks and some were a month old. Many of the schools she was interested in had all ready moved on because they did not think she was interested. To me that was very sad.

This is a touchy subject for me as having coached AAU for several years and being a parent of two high school ballers now.The high school coaches who embrace the idea and work with their players AAU coaches seem to be building

programs rather than simply holding down the fort.Yesterday a parent called me upset because her daughter's high school coach had not informed her daughter who is a senior of the college coaches who had called asking info on her.I too

have former players whom I've known for years and also have felt the resentment from their high school coaches because of the way the players react when I come into a gym.This is ridiculous some players are close to me and others aren't but I

don't feel intimidated because a player is closer to another coach than they are me. AAU can be a wonderful tool embrace it or watch other schools who do

pass you by on the way to the Boro. :blink:

I find it odd that you monitered a high school kid for 45 mintues, at the state tournament. There was a game going on, right. No one knows the content of the conversation between the coach, and the kid. I myself find it strange that many high school coaches dont want their kids anywhere around AAU coaches. They believe that AAu poisons their kids minds. When in fact alot of high school coached dont want to help the kid by calling schools. I can agree that AAU can be a great thing or a really bad thing, thus creating a double edge sword. If a player is good enough to play for an elite team, they can get alot of exposure. On the other hand if a player plays on a elite team, they can get lost in the shuffle, because of all the stars on the team. I give this advice to parents. Be careful in selecting the summer program. Make sure that your child will get to play. If your daughter /son plays center, make sure that there aren't 4 centers already on the roster. Make sure that they have the your childs best interest at heart. many coaches coach AAu for an ego boast. Dont get me wrong, there are many good coaches out there that want to help kids get in school, and not just build a Dynasty program.

It can be expensive but, it can be worth it if you pick the right program, or the right program picks you!! Good Luck.

Well AAU has been a curse and a blessing for my children. Their first coach was not a very good teacher. He threatened, insulted and had HIS favorites. He had his starting five, then might have played 1 more player for more than 2 minutes in any game. It was ridiculous! My girls were finished with BB all together after him. B)

Then enter coach #2. He was much different. A good fundamental teacher, excellent motivator and never had to threaten the girls to get them to perform. My girls are about to start their Sophmore, 7th and 3rd grade years. All three love him dearly. If they see HIM at a ballgame they would sit and watch the whole game with him if they could. :P Thanks Chad!

I dare say that if a young lady wants to play college ball (especially D1) they better be playing AAU. Every game they get better. Since most AAU teams play better competition and almost half of a regular season of high school ball each year its like getting 6 years of experience in high school rather than 4. (And how many Freshman start on a good High School team? :D ) I don't agree with a lot of the things that happen, like obvious Home Cookin', playing in the worse gyms and things like that, but I believe the upside far out weighs the downside.

Edited by FlatCreekJim