USA Junior Nationals at Lipscomb U.

wanker21

My son went 2 years ago between his soph and jr seasons. IN MY OPINION, it is set up for unsigned seniors who may need a last look by jr colleges, or small NAIA or DIII. There were no D-I coaches there that I saw or even D-II.

At the local showcase there will be a Team Tennessee picked. Those kids qualify for the nationals (that year in Columbus, OH). At both the local and the nationals, college coaches will guide the teams in the shootout and then in the nationals.

It is a good chance for kids to get exposed to some recruiting but don't expect them to be knocking down your door. Some area coaches I saw included Coach Walker from Hiwassee and the coach from Chattanooga state.

The coach for Team Tennessee was a coach from New York. Coach Walker coached Nebraska and another. The coach from Chattanooga State coached Alabama. Alabama had a couple of kids from Tenn on their team and one ended up Ist team All American (Jamarcus Billings from Knoxville).

It was a good experience. I think my son played 15 games in 5 days against some good and some not so good competition. He ended up 2nd team All American out of about 500 kids.

Now the bad part. It seemed like every time we turned around we had to ante up for something else.$$$$ Like $about $250 for uniforms at the nationals(just a small example). In all, including the local and nationals with gas and motel and food we spent over $1400. I would not have done if I had known ahead of time how much $$$$ we were going to go thru.

You can decide for yourself if it is for you or not. My suggestion is to get involved with a good AAU type program if you are not a snior yet and concentrate on that (you will see a lot more coaches at these tournaments). If you are a senior and HAVE SOME GAME and are not sure where you are going to college and want a shot at a smaller school, by all means go to the USA Jr National.