I think this year we will need to hunker down and become a support group. Since the Ted Turner sold out to the Big Boys, we all knew this season was coming. No more dominant pitching staff, no more keeping our studs from leaving. Millwood, Glavine, and now Maddux-this could be the end of the era. Bobby Cox doesn't get the recognition he deserves for the run he has made with the ever changing parts he's given. Realistically, what's the difference between him and an NFL coach who is successful at keeping his team competitive each year? They both have turnover and salary problems-the NFL coach just has his more condensed.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No denying Atlanta stinks as a sports town, particularly when it comes to the Bravos. However, I believe that under AOL-Time Warner's management directives, it wouldn't matter if they had LA or ST. Louis type numbers, they would've still slashed payroll. That being said, it is absolutely amazing that with a decade or more of Braves success (unparalleled in modern sports), the fans have quickly forgotten the almost generational-long debacle of the 70's and most of the '80's. "Ho-hum, another pennant-let's go when they hit the seventh game of the series." From the Joanie Mitchell song "sometimes you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone."

I fear this is the season they'll find out.

Guest Oakland

no doubt that this season will be a struggle, but this division is the braves' until somebody snatches from them. yes no more dominant pitching staff but they have a very solid 4 in ortiz,hampton,ramirez, and thomson. am finally glad derosa gets the nod at third, vinny has always done great at the beginning of the last couple of seasons but fades away big time late, so i am optimistic about about derosa. i think a couple to watch out for are wilson betemit(sp?) and mark hessmna, both have been big time prospects in the braves farm leagues and look to make that next step this year. but the wild card is drew. if he stays healthy then i believe there wont be much drop off from last year and would make the braves a solid contender to win the pennant once again. so i am goin on a limb on again predicting another division championship for the braves, thats as far as i am willing to go right now ;)

no doubt that this season will be a struggle, but this division is the braves' until somebody snatches from them. yes no more dominant pitching staff but they have a very solid 4 in ortiz,hampton,ramirez, and thomson. am finally glad derosa gets the nod at third, vinny has always done great at the beginning of the last couple of seasons but fades away big time late, so i am optimistic about about derosa. i think a couple to watch out for are wilson betemit(sp?) and mark hessmna, both have been big time prospects in the braves farm leagues and look to make that next step this year. but the wild card is drew. if he stays healthy then i believe there wont be much drop off from last year and would make the braves a solid contender to win the pennant once again. so i am goin on a limb on again predicting another division championship for the braves, thats as far as i am willing to go right now ;)

I am really looking forword to this season to see how some of the new guys do. I think on the defensive side you have could have the best middle in field and outfield in the National League with Giles & Furcal at 2nd & SS and with the best centerfielder in the National league in Andrew Jones, Chipper has shown that he can be a pretty good left fielder and if J.D. Drew can stay healthy that should help all around. Adam Laroach(sp?) seems to be doing pretty good at 1st with the ageless wonder Julio Franco.

THis could be a lot like the 91 season.

Rumors are floating that the Braves are working on a deal to bring Ken Griffey, Jr. over from the Reds. Haven't heard anything definite, but the names mentioned included some combination of Wilson Betemit, Trey Hodges, J.D. Drew, and Juan Cruz. Not sure how many players would be included on either side.

---rSquared

Griffey definitely needs to get out of Cincy. What he has left is anybody's guess. Maybe going to the Braves, or just about any place where he's not the "man" could turn his career around.

I'm concerned about the Braves recent moves to shore up their bullpen. I"m not particularly crazy about Cruz. He got shelled the last two times he pitched for the Cubs and then got shelled his first time out for the Braves. And giving up a lefthander for him doesn't make great long term sense, particularly when he led the league in strikeouts. Maybe Leo can turn him, and the others, around.

• 3 weeks later...