Shoes for Mid-distance

Easterling

I personally have a pair of adidas which feel like Im wearing socks. Besides being comfortable, they also support my foot well and are very light. I would suggest going to a running specialized store and asking them what would fit your foot best, then trying several on until one fits well. Ive worn new balance, nike, and adidas, and like them all, so just find one that fits.

For Mid-Distance, first it depends what type of surface you run on...if you're on the basic blacktop tracks you find at many schools that don't put $$ towards track and field, I'd say avoid the spikes that day all together. I see kids trying to wear spike on those track and they tend to slip and slide. Just use a good, light running shoe here.

Second avoid the spikes with little or no cushion in the heel. Those are for short distance sprinters. Third, coasterboarder gives you good advice about finding shoe at a store that specializes in running. Tell them what you're running. Keep in mind, most people in those store think of distance and CC when you just say "running shoes". Do find a pair of shoes that really fit well and are snug.

As far as spikes go, choosing the type of replacement spikes can mean a lot too.

Tiered Compression: Great for harder surfaces and for runners using power in their runs. The Tier gives the spike strength to handle the extra force applied on push off.

Pyramid: The most versatile. Work for distance and sprint and work well on most surfaces.

Pins: The easiest on the feet. There are the spikes that are

supplied with most shoes.

I believe 1/4" is the max length spike that TN high school is supposed to use in the running events. Some runners find that spikes >1/4" hurt their feet anyway.

My experience with my son and his selection of shoes, well, he doesn't like the Reebok (couldn't seem to find a size that fit just right). Tried Adidas, thought they felt heavy. He likes both Nike and Asics. He's a 400M, 200M, and LongJump competitor, but uses spikes with a little more heel like a 800M runner would use.

P.S. I'd also suggest buying a couple pair of really good Thorlo brand running socks. You won't believe the difference they will make.

There's the extent of what little I know...hope it helps. :blink:

Let us know what you decide on and how it works out.

Are you a guy or a girl? It gets even more complicated if you are a girl. There aren't many choices for girls. My daughter has usually ran in Nike but this year she is trying some ASICS Rocketgirls. They seem to work ok for 300 hurdles too. Nike works really well for narrow feet. If you don't have a local store with much selection, you might try Eastbay.com. Good luck.

I want to start by thanking all those who took the time to reply and give great information.

@ SatchUmp

For Mid-Distance, first it depends what type of surface you run on...if you're on the basic blacktop tracks you find at many schools that don't put $$ towards track and field, I'd say avoid the spikes that day all together. I see kids trying to wear spike on those track and they tend to slip and slide. Just use a good, light running shoe here.

I go to Hickman County High School... and we spend very little money on track. All of our meets are away. The track at my school is concrete so that limits the effectiveness of spikes immensely.

I have three meets scheduled in Dickson(rubber track B) )

2 in Columbia State( concrete B) )

1 in Harpeth(forget if it's concret or not)

and the rest is Busters, sectional, regional, etc.

I've got some adidas running shoes that I have used so far. They are very comfortable and have worked well. I want to use the best option possible when I run on a rubber track.

I've got wide feet, so I'll probably visit a running store some time soon so that I can actually try shoes on before purchasing. I would just use the internet, but I don't feel like sending shoes back that don't fit.

What is the point of rubber spikes or "waffles"? I've just been thinking about this.