Byrd signs with Tusculum

THE KING

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd will not be redshirted. It will be Cody Baugh getting him the ball: not Russell.

Unless I am mistaken the Pioneers return two QB's that played ahead of Baugh last year, so it may be down the road that either of the mentioned QB's get Byrd the ball regardless if he is redshirted or not.

I have not seen Byrd play, but many a player has been ruined by too great of expectations too soon. He may be as good as all you say, but the competition he will face at my alma mater Tusculum, is a far cry from what he has seen at Cloudland.

Unless I am mistaken the Pioneers return two QB's that played ahead of Baugh last year, so it may be down the road that either of the mentioned QB's get Byrd the ball regardless if he is redshirted or not.

You are correct, they are returning 2. I do know that at the spring game, Baugh outshined the lot. In fact, with the signing of Byrd (if he were to play the position) that gives them a total of 8 QB's.

All of that is irrelevant if the OL doesn't perform though. I was told that the ball did alot of dribbling on it's way back to the QB during the game, not a good sign at all!

I have not seen Byrd play, but many a player has been ruined by too great of expectations too soon. He may be as good as all you say, but the competition he will face at my alma mater Tusculum, is a far cry from what he has seen at Cloudland.

Again you are correct. Mark will have an uphill battle. But, I've watched him at least once each of the last 4 years, and I've yet to see him miss stepping up to a challenge. He has a great head on his shoulders, and the most awesome body control I have ever seen on a young man his age. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, Mark is a great kid and a real asset to the team regardless of his contribution on the field.

Edited by ie3

I thought it was funny listening to all the Cloudland fans talk about how he was going to Tennessee, Nebraska or some other big time D-I program. A 5'5" kid from a Class A school isn't going to get a scholarship at a big time program anytime soon.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think he'll make an impact in college unless it's as a returnman.

Byrd is the "real deal". He will not be as dominant as in high school, but, will play a lot of slot and wideout. Will also return and may even do some tailback. No excuse, but, he was hurt in the CAK game.

I would like to see Cristman get a chance at linebacker, also. He is a good one, too.

Edited by moosebychoice

Mark Byrd is a heck of an thlete but is too small. He is to short to play QB and WR and doesnt weigh enough to play RB. How many WR you hear of that are 5'9 or 5'10. I coul be wrong about QB, just look at Doug Flutie, but he is gona have to look over that massive offensive line because from what I here about Tusculum, they run a more finesses passing offense. But congrats Mark, good luck this fall.

Have you ever heard of Cedric Wilson? 5 foot 8? Tennessee's leading reciever a couple years back? You people need to do some studying instead of making mindless remarks on coacht. Yeah, everybody's got an opinion, but it always seems that everybody is pointing out why he can't play. He's overcome every obstacle so far, and I've got faith that he will do well at Tusculum. It's also not that hard to put on 20 lbs. good grief!