What makes a GREAT Softball Player

strikethree

Great softball players are not all about stats, awards or honors. They start with the desire to play the game,who works the hardest and who is the ultimate team player. I've coached and won hundreds of games and i built my teams on unselfish players. I hate to listen to Parents worry about stats and honors and nothing is worse than the player themselves competing with players on there on TEAM. A great player and true athlete will always rise to the top. By the way Weasal the only Club K is in Nashville along with the BEST High School Team You know!!!!! :D

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey stikethree, I agree that what makes a good softball player is desire & love of the game. When I say desire, I mean LOVE for the game & the love to practice to be the best player you can be. I agree that parents ruin the game by worrying about their child's stats & honors & all the jealousy that goes with it. I have always enjoyed coaching kids that have good work ethic. However I see nothing wrong with a kid that checks their own stats & uses that knowledge to better themselves. The problem comes when a player is not humble. I agree that there is no I in team & I tell my daughters that their ability comes from God above & He deserves the credit when they do good. I do have my daughters set goals because it makes them a better player if goals are reached. My daughters play for Coffee County & some of their goals are to lead the team in hitting & make the all-district team. If you ever see the Swansons girls play & you decide that they are not humble-just let me know & I will handle the situation. Stuck in the Middle East-Goingdeep

If there was such a thing as a good mark, both of you would get mine!

As for Weasel, nothing wrong with believing in Coach Kirk... he has the success to back it up, but I agree about Club K. My daughter has been going there since 1997, and it has paid off. And, if I am not mistaken, this year the pitchers from Soddy go to Coach Waters for pitching, not Coach Kirk.

And goingdeep...... from my family and I....thank you for my freedom and security. America is behind you 100% and unlike Vietnam, know the difference between supporting our troops and disagreeing wiht the politics that put you all there.

Was there in 88 as part of operation Praying Mantis...nasty little conflict that no one talks about much anymore. Stay away from the preservative laden beer...... it will give you a nasty headache! And enjoy the weather now, cause it is fixing to get real hot! Hope you get back to God's country in time to enjoy this great sport! God Bless!

goingdeep...if one of ur daughters is the catcher i just want to compliment u on her...i noticed that she was an awesome catcher when we played them! from what ive heard shes also a pretty good hitter. im not sure who ur other daughter is and im sure she is good too but i just happened to notice the catcher that night.

What makes a good softball player? To me it is someone that is a leader that sees their weakness and works on improving them. Someone that practices as hard as they play. That does not settle for 1 out that looks for 2. That would rather be at the softball field than anywhere. That encourages other team mates to raise their level of play in a positive way. That congradulates a player wherter on their team or another for a job well done. That conducts theirshelves on and off the field in a respectable way. That knows this is a team sport and it takes everyone on the team to win or to lose. That knows if they do not work hard not only are they letting their teammates and coaches down they have alsolet themshelves down.

J.M.O.

s3softball, The catcher for Coffee County is my freshman daughter Jenna. I am very proud of her because I have had nothing but positive reports on her. My other daughter is the shortstop, Carla. I am equally proud of her, even though her stats are not as good as her sister's. Carla has had to battle back from reconstructive elbow surgery-she got discouraged last year & quit-something their dad does not believe in. I proud of her cause I know she plays in pain & I know she loves the game-I hope she can be an encouragement to the Price girl who blew out her shoulder! My hat is off fpcatch-like ERA said no one could have said it better! The nice things about sports is it prepares one for life-one needs a positive approach, good work ethic, sportmanship(the ability to get along) & the lesson that no one wins all the time. You have to get of the mat when you are knocked down-& Carla I think you have done that & I just wanted the world to know I am PROUD of you! Later Goingdeep

Hey going deep I don't know if you know me by my screen name but my daughter has played ball with your daughters ever since they were little girls. I am glad Carla is back and doing better with her recovery even though we are not at CC anymore I still wish them all the best Carla has always been a very sweet girl you have lots of reasons to be proud of her and Jenna is a great ball player also but we know Carla better because she is in the same grade with Renee. You have been her coach and a friend to us for years please keep yourself safe and come home soon. May god bless you always.

Changeup, Thanks for the kind remarks-I am not sure who you are but I have an idea. I hope your daughter might have learned something about the game if she ever played for me. I would just like to state how proud I am of the Lady Raiders. Many people counted them out because of the loss of a good coach & some very good players. The lady Raiders have been successful because they are pulling together as a team. When I get the news here in Kuwait it is usually someone different in a big way that comes through for the Lady Raiders. For example, Brittany Sain hitting a game winning homerun. The girl is all Heart-waits until Senior year to earn starting job & comes through in the clutch! I applaud you fellow Hillsborian! Shayna Fleenor did not play softball until she was a teenager & look what she has accomplished-Scholarship-way to go girl! I am just so proud of the way Coach Floyd has molded these girls into a TEAM-without no I. Girls keep up the GOOD work-it"s harder to stay on top of the district than it is to get there!-Goingdeep