Before you blame an UMPIRE

tee1up

I've been a player, coach, scorekeper, umpire, and referee in many sports.

Over the years, I've seen players, coaches, and officials make LOTS of mistakes during games...(and LOTS of great plays, too)...

But before you go blaming the loss of a game on an umpire... Sit down with a scorebook sometime. I think you'll look at things very differently.

In EVERY GAME...each team has several opportunities to influence the outcome of the game. The number of times they succeed/fail dictates the outcome MUCH MORE than the calls during the game. For example, take the scorebook (or videotape) of the game and looks at things like:

1) moving a runner into scoring position

2) getting a bunt down

3) hit/strikeout with runners in scoring position

4) pitcher making a good/bad pitch on an 0-2 count

5) missing a sign

6) executing a hit and run

7) walking a #7, 8, or 9 hitter

8) making an error on a routine play

9) The list could go on and on...but you get the idea.

Just food for thought for those that have the notion that the "umps beat us."

That makes alot of sense but let me add another note:

While playing in Munford last weekend they hit I think 4 HR's of course a father of ours added that thier fence is shorter then ours and those would have been caught at our school. I laughed and said, "Yeah and did you see the little man everytime we got up to bat crack the fence back so none of our balls could go over." It is amazing how people can make up excuses about everything.

Very good points, tee1up. Being a scorekeeper myself, I know exactly where you're coming from. One of the things I do for my coaches is make a detailed hitting, fielding, & pitching reports of the game. When you go back and replay the game from the scorebook, you see many things that the casual fan doesn't notice during a game. Analysis of the fielding and throwing errors can be quite revealing when calculating earned runs for a pitcher. Another key to winning is runners left on base in scoring position. A team can have 10 hits, but if they can't get the runners home, you don't get the win. A missed call by an umpire draws a lot of attention, but a batter missing a hit & run sign is probably never noticed by the crowd. Thanks for your insight on the game. I'll keep it in mind the next time I hear the fans blaming the umpire.