Softball Umpires

addictedtosports.com

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calls in the game are a lot like players. In the beginning of the season, the calling is not really sharp. But, as the season progresses, the calls are more consistent and less controversial. It's no different than when you stop doing whatever you do for a long period of time. It takes time to get the feel of things and start rolling again. I had the misfortune to ump a game in the field last summer. The game was a warmup. It's amazing how your eyes tell your mind one thing but your hands and mouth seem to do the opposite. I felt pretty silly after just a few calls. It's an artform much like the game itself. It takes a lot of practice. :o

addictedtosports.com: thank you for those kind words about middle tennessee umpires; you might be interested to know that the m'boro association umpires year in and year out score at or near the top on the closed book test, which indicates that they spend countless hours studying "the book."

Middle TN does have some of the best umps in the state in my opinion. Attending multiple tournys the past few years has proved that to me. But like ERA said...it takes a little time for the umps to get consistant, just like players for that matter. When district tourny time rolls around, they should be at the top of there game.

Of all the different high school sports I have attended this year, softball umpires seem to be the most consistant. Rarely does an umpire decide a game on a tough call. Part of the reason is probably because softball is a pitcher's game. As long as the umpire calls balls and strikes consistantly, there aren't to many other calls for an umpire to decide a game on. Like any other sport they make their bad calls but as a whole, the girls decide the game, not the officials.