All-Americans

ThePenAtrAtoR69

Regardless of the MBA poles and middies actions, Regan could have been much more effective if he had used his 4 seconds in the crease to look over his field instead of sprinting out prematurely and hurling it straight up field when under pressure. However, I will concede that he was better in the second game, but I wouldn't call him the best clearing goalie in state by far. It's very close between him and Baucom in my opinion. But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. As for all americans, Caroland has a serious left handed shot and Gillespie has got some wheels but neither have impressed me that much. Gibson, though, is very good, and I would be surprised if he didn't get the nod along with Brakebill. Burns is leading the state in points, but it seems to me that he is having a season much like that of Jennings last year where he shelled weaker opponents and was mediocre when it counted. I can only speak from what I've seen in his two games vs McCallie but I wasn't very impressed.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BIGRUSN

I like that analysis, but you have to admit that Burns is a very solid player. you know who I like, who slowly found his way near the top of the learder board, is charlie brittingham. maybeit its just cuz he's my team mate, but he's a great player.

[you know who I like, who slowly found his way near the top of the learder board, is charlie brittingham. ]

I don't think it's that he is climbing the leaderboard necessarily because he's the only returning attackman to have garnered second team all-state last year. He is frequently overlooked just because there is so much talent at attack this year. Burns, Caroland, Gibson, Gillespie, Brafford, and Brittingham are all very good attackmen and worthy of 1st team all-state. But 3 are going to be left out just because of the depth. It's a good problem to have. Also he might be under the radar because he doesn't play for MUS, MBA, or McCallie. Since 1989 only once has a team other than one of these three won the state championship. With that kind of triumvirate it is hard for marquee players on teams that aren't as good to get recognition.

Guest BIGRUSN

USN has two goalies who are seniors. They are both very good on shots and clears. Right now we have one starter, and the other wil go in if the game is going well for us or if the other is having a bad game. Its a great situation having two goalies who can interchange, but it also makes the stats for both a little akward and gives them less of a chance for any honors, but i think that they are both up there with jimbo, chip, and regan. I love my goalies.

I agree. Though the USN goalies are both very good, they did not seem better than the top 3 on most days. The MUS/ USN game both Reid and Ockerman put in great games (Ockerman, who only played the 4th, had a shutout and about 5/6 saves, I think, against our second string offense) in awful conditions. I'm MUS' backup goalie, in case you couldn't figure that out already, and I know from warmups and the quarter that I played, the creases in that game were mudpits and if you shot a bouncer it would either skim off the ground or get stuck in the mud, they never got higher than the goalies knees. Also, there was a huge puddle of standing water that was about 10ft x 5ft in front of one crease.