Wooden Bats?

zorroschild

I dont think personally that metal bats are a problem in little league and in that age group. However, with that said metal bats need to be forbidden in high school play, and definitely in college baseball. I've witnessed first hand what a metal bat could do when our teammate last year was struck in the face when we were playing at Augusta State, and ended his career and luckily not his life. It is not safe, and it can definitely cause a lot of damage. The problem with them is the jump ratio of what the ball comes off. The ball usually comes off of a metal bat on a 1-1/3 ratio. Which means if you have a guy throwing 88-90, the ball will come off the bat anywhere from 120-130. From 60'6" this spells nothing but disaster. Now the ball will also come off a wooden bat hard, but not at that quick of a speed. I think it would be better baseball if wooden bats were implemented, and personally it would get rid of those danged metal bat duck fart singles.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you, JHITE, on the should-be-broken-bat-easy-out-singles (or even doubles) off of the metal.

But if the high schools and colleges want to keep the metal, for heaven's sake forget about weight to length differential and restrict the "jump ratio" to that for wood. It just wouldn't be that hard to do!

Maybe I'll write my congressman...