District 3-AAA Tournament Bracket

HiwasseeVol

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Landon also last pitched on Friday, but Coach seemed to have someone else on his mind. I do hope the Beavers just come with their heads on straight and don't let the fact that the Powell players and some of their fans got personal when cheering for Halls in our last district game.

I would rather they just keep baseball on their mind. I also look for a good game and should be another close one.

Edited by HiwasseeVol

Word has it from a very valuable source that Plumlee is throwin against Karns tonight.

Lockwood did pitch lights out last night. Honestly Cummings didnt pitch bad. but thats coming from a Halls perspective because he used to be a fastball pitcher.i guess when the fastball isnt working for ya and your not overpowering like you used to be you go with junk. and it worked. so pretty good job.

Powell just couldnt hit lockwood last night. when they did hit he had a good defense behind him that prevented some stuff and got a few outs.

Good luck to Powell and Karns tonight. May the best team win. We'll see ya Wednesday.

Well HV, Karns was at the Powell/Halls game last night cheering on the Halls side for Halls???

These teams both are going to be ready to play and they don't like each otehr to much. After the last time these teams played at Powell there was almost a fight on the field while shaking hands. Tonight should be interesting.

HV I don't think Karns will be having anybody else in mind except Chester

Well HV, Karns was at the Powell/Halls game last night cheering on the Halls side for Halls???

These teams both are going to be ready to play and they don't like each otehr to much. After the last time these teams played at Powell there was almost a fight on the field while shaking hands. Tonight should be interesting.

HV I don't think Karns will be having anybody else in mind except Chester

Yes, There was 4 or 5 players that sat and stood in the Halls stands, "They didn't open their mouths to cheer for or against either team."

I've know many of the Powell players and their parents and have always wished them the best and consider them friends. We always talk and wish each other the best. Nothing has changed....I look for a great baseball game from two teams that will play their heart out and leave it all on the field.

Good luck to both teams.

Yeah I know there is respect there I agree with that. But these 2 teams always battle it out and they get so emotional that its hard to hold things back. I think tonight will be a great game between the teams. I agree with you both teams are going to leave everyting on the line cause on both teams there is a great group of seniors who do not want there high school career to be over just yet. Whoever happens to lose tonight I will hate it for some of those seniors cause both teams have some great leaders.

HV, It will probably Chester vs. Plumlee tonight correct or do you think Karns will suprise some people and throw somebody else????

Karns 5 – Powell 4

This was one of the most exciting high school baseball games that I have ever watched as both teams refused to lose. Powell started Senior Dustin Plumlee (LMU signee) while Karns countered with Junior lefty, Landon Chester.

Dustin had command on the mound and went through the Beavers in order the 1st and 2nd inning. Landon allowed one base runner in the first, a single by Derek Treece (LMU signee) and two base runners in the second on a single by Matt Hargis and Wes Whaley made base by E1. All were stranded and the score remained 0-0 after two innings.

Powell would strike first in the top of the 3rd on a one out single by Nick Lakin and Nick would make it to third base on a pick off attempt by Landon, a E1 throwing error good for two bases. Derek Treece would then fly out to right field for the SAC and a 1-0 lead.

Karns would counter with a leadoff single in the bottom of the inning by Shane Ownby, but Perry Sigmon would fail on a bunt attempt and then hit into a 4-6-3 double play. Karns would then have back-to-back singles by Jody Phillips and Clint Fox, but both would be stranded. Dustin and Landon both breeze through the 4th and 5th innings and it is looking like a 1-0 (unearned run) might be all the scoring on the night. Dustin had only thrown 48 pitches after five innings and Landon had thrown 60 pitches. Karns had three singles and Powell had 4 singles.

Powell would add another single by Derek Treece in the 6th inning, but still only lead 1-0 going into the bottom of the inning. Karns was at the top of the order in the bottom of the 6th and they needed base runners. Clint Fox lead off with a single and Wes Lee singled to put runners at 1st and 2nd base with no outs. Cale Iorg was at the plate and after taking a strike, Cale would be hit by a Plumlee pitch to load the bases with no outs. Powell pulled the infield in and Clint Fox is out at home on a 4-3 grounder. With one out and the bases loaded, Brandon McKee hits a 0-2 pitch to right field to score three Karns runs. Dustin then settles down and gets out of the inning on a fly ball and a caught stealing at 3rd base.

Dustin still has only 66 pitches after 6 innings, but Karns has the lead at 3-1. Powell has 6, 7 & 8 coming up in the lineup in the top of the 7th inning and Landon takes the mound.

The crowd is now into the game and Landon feels the pressure, walks Keith Howard, but then gets two fielding outs, and is one out from victory with the #9 batter up. Landon walks Kevin Herman and then Dustin Plumlee singles to cut the lead to 3-2. Another walk would load the bases, Derek Treece is at the plate with two outs, and bases loaded, not something, any team wants. Landon then walks his third batter in the inning and ties the score at 3-3, bases still loaded. Coach Sharp then finally pulls Landon for Shane Ownby, who then hits Cole Patrick for the go ahead run for Powell. Shane stops the bleeding on a 6-3 ground out by Cory Spradlen. It looks bad for Karns!

Dustin then takes the mound to close out the win for Powell with the 7, 8, 9 batters up for Karns. The first batter is Shane Ownby and on a 1-2 pitch, Shane hits a HR over the deepest part of the Oak Ridge field. (It was a long one) Coach Lawson then pulls Dustin for Preston Davis and Preston then walks Perry Sigmon who then is bunted to second base by Jody Phillips. With one out, Karns is at the top of the order and the winning run in scoring position. Clint Fox who is 2 for 3 is at the plate and with a 2-2 count; Clint singles the run home for the Beaver win.

Powell and Karns never gave up in this game and it was a pleasure to watch. I take my hat off to both teams, especially to senior pitcher Dustin Plumlee who closes a fine high school career. We will hear more from Dustin at LMU. Derek Treece also stood out tonight with his defense and was 2 for 2 with a BB and a SAF. Powell will miss his bat next year. Powell also looses two other fine senior players in Cole Patrick (Campbellsville University in football and baseball) and Kevin Cummings (LMU signee)

I really hated to see either team loose, but I was happy for my son and also sad for the players ending their season.

A few players from both teams need a little more class at the end of the game. I am sorry for anything out-of-line by Karns players /parents. This game deserves to be remembered for the play on the field.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Karns vs. Halls tomorrow at 5:30 PM in the championship.