Reffing

USNLAX

i personally think that the reffs in tennessee are terrible. none of them are consistent with the calls they make. most of them are flag happy, too. some will throw a flag if a defensman so much as sneezes on an attackman. i don't like the reffs. most of them are old and out of shape and don't see much of what happens during the game. they baby the game by calling everything in order to not be accused of losing control of the game (they throw flags when a pole legally lays someone out because he got plasted). i can think of 5 different occations where an unsportsman-like conduct foul should have been called off of the top of my head. one time a reff called a 2 minute slash on an attackman. the coach went up to him and asked if he had just made that up and asked if there was any such thing as a 2 min. slash. the reff looked at him and said, "because i said so. i made the decision for it to be 2 minutes because it was a vicious play..." it wasn't vicious, the kid was jsut riding and happened to hit the d-pole in the helmet with his check. that's jsut one example of what i am talking about. from what i've seen, the tennessee reffs have done an aweful job this season.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i personally think that the reffs in tennessee are terrible. none of them are consistent with the calls they make. most of them are flag happy, too. some will throw a flag if a defensman so much as sneezes on an attackman. i don't like the reffs. most of them are old and out of shape and don't see much of what happens during the game. they baby the game by calling everything in order to not be accused of losing control of the game (they throw flags when a pole legally lays someone out because he got plasted). i can think of 5 different occations where an unsportsman-like conduct foul should have been called off of the top of my head. one time a reff called a 2 minute slash on an attackman. the coach went up to him and asked if he had just made that up and asked if there was any such thing as a 2 min. slash. the reff looked at him and said, "because i said so. i made the decision for it to be 2 minutes because it was a vicious play..." it wasn't vicious, the kid was jsut riding and happened to hit the d-pole in the helmet with his check. that's jsut one example of what i am talking about. from what i've seen, the tennessee reffs have done an aweful job this season.

I was just wandering what other state's refs you have had call games to base a comparison on.

one time a reff called a 2 minute slash on an attackman. the coach went up to him and asked if he had just made that up and asked if there was any such thing as a 2 min. slash. the reff looked at him and said, "because i said so. i made the decision for it to be 2 minutes because it was a vicious play..." 2004 NCAA Men's Rule Book, Rule 5 Section 2: "The penalty for a personal foul shall be suspension from the game of the offending player for one to three minutes, depending on the official's judgment of the severity and perceived intent of the personal foul."

I've played in Kentucky refs and North Carolina refs this year. TN refs put KY to shame, they were horrible. They called an illegal stick but when the coach asked them to prove it, it was legal, then and after the game when they looked at it again, still legal. The NC refs were ok, basically better than TN refs on a bad game and worse than the TN refs on a good day.

Im not gonna say anything about the TN refs, because I know they are under alot of pressure. It's harder than it looks, especially when coaches and parents are yelling at you. The NC refs, however, are actually very good. I played in NC for a good 3 years, and there is a group of about 5 refs who are just excellent. They know exactly what they are doing...it just takes experience. Our refs will get better in time.

yea i think it would be pretty hard to be a ref, some coaches in this game will never stop yelling at the ref so it would put them under a lot of pressure but i think they should do it like they do it in hockey and let them play if it is a close game towards the end

I think the refs in tennessee are terrible, over the coarse of this season we had a ton of bad calls, especially from the ones that reffed our cbhs vs. mba game, that ref was by far the worst ref in the state and made too many bad calls to count, for example one call he made one of our players, #1, got mad and slammed his stick on the ground and he threw up his flag, and then when he came over to the box to announce the penalty he called an unsportsman like on #32, this caused our coach to get very aggrivated because we had already received many bad calls during the game but that was the worst one

Granted we may not know the rules....some refs make some really bad judgement calls. I saw this when CHBS played Farraget in the playoffs, and it happened to me too...we went for a shot on the crease and got pushed from behind by a defender, while we still had possession, and it was called a crease violation, while we were on our faces'. You can tell when some dives, or falls in the crease, but being pushed from behind is too obvious to miss. I do think that most middle tn refs are decent, definatly the best in the state, so I'm gonna stop complaining.

Edited by TNLAX6

When McCallie played Mba the 2nd time, McCallie was man up on an illegal stick and regan came up with a huge save and cleared the ball down the field, the man from the box was released to make it even and MBA scored with 9:02 remaining in the quarter. The only problem was it was a 3 minute penalty, which started obviously at the beginning of the quarter meaning that the penalty didn't last the whole 3 minutes. When the ref was talked to, he deemed that MBA was still a man down for the remaining 2 seconds, and the goal was good, even though MBA technically had to many men on the field. MBA then won in overtime, granted McCallie should have gotten our stuff together and played the kind of game we can where it shouldn't have been a one goal game. but obviously a case of poor officiating.

also some refs will call off sides for example just by hearing the other teams bench yelling it, and this happend more then once were they yelled it out and the other team was not offsides but he still called it and the ref just went a picked out a randome player. i am not sayin they are bad, but they arent the best