This year's State Meet perspective

BHSfootball

I just thought it would be nice to make a thread about some amazing events/people that we all saw at this year's state meet. If I forget something, add it. I had the priviledge of watching the girl's meet and most of the guys(mostly in the afternoon when I wasn't competing.)

I don't know where to start, so I guess I'll just start with girls and work my way down.

Junior Lauren Stewart from Brentwood High is incredible. The girl set the new state record in the high jump at 6' and it is my understanding that that would have won the SEC high jump this year. The girl is one of the most explosive jumpers I have ever seen. Also winning the pentathalon, triple, long, and 2nd in the 110 hurdles, I would label her as one of the best athletes in the country. By the way, she could have placed in both the high jump and triple at the boy's state meet. Philipa Davies of Brentwood Academy in Division II was also incredible. She can do just about anything there is in track and field and proved it at the state meet. And i can't forget Molly Kennedy of Hume-Fogg. The girl is simply amazing. She swept the field and showed her place in the pentathalon.

The Memphis East girls were smoking to a new state record. Woodfin of Carter was fast, as usual. Danielle Sampley of William Blount was extremely impressive for just a freshman. Marrissa Harris is an athlete, to say the least. And Jill Skinner can flat-out throw down in distance running.

Everybody pretty much knew what Bumbalough could do before the state meet, but he was even more impressive in person. He now owns two state distance records and is only a junior. Mad props to Strang for taking him in the 800. He proved a lot of people wrong, and hung with Bumbi in every race and it is my opinion that he is one of the toughest runners in Tennessee.

This year's decathletes were hosses! Is there anything McCallie's Micheal Bingham can't do? I would like to know. You could make up and game and within 10 minutes, Bingham would be the best at it. I can't even name all the stuff he won or placed in, it would take too long. He is now the Tennessee decathlon record holder. And I believe he is the best pure athlete in Tennessee. Right behind him might be Micheal Joyner of Raleigh-Egypt. The guy is just intimidating to look at. He is a freak of a human being. Joseph Doss is also extremely impressive and was fun to watch race with Simeon.

Ahh......Simeon Harris. If Bingham isn't the best athlete in Tennessee, Simeon Harris is. Winning the 110(in which he already owns the state record) and 300 hurdles, placing in the long jump and running a 47.7 split(what?? that's crazy!) on the state champion Cordova 4x400 relay, you might see him win 4 or even 5 or 6 events next year. I wouldn't put it past him to enter the decathlon and chase Bingham's record.

Scott's Jordan Jeffers was also fun to watch, as was Lemarcus Coker of Antioch. Craigmonts relays were absolutely scary. Cordova's 4x400 relat is insane, and I also have to give props to Oak Ridge's 4x800. Hudson was brilliant. But Yarrick Kincaid stole the show in the open 800 and mile. It didn't even look hard for him and I think it would have been fun to see him run against Bumbi at the meet.

The two guys from Christian Brothers in the shot put are absolute beasts, 'nuff said. I also enjoyed the A-AA discus this year.

Anyway, add soem of your favorite parts of the meet this year. And congratulations to all winners. This year was a great one.

Peace out...... :unsure:

Edited by BHSfootball

I agree with a lot of those for me it was,

* Lauren Stewart high jumping 6 ft.

* the girl Krishna Curry from USN, run 2 teams down on the anchor leg of the 4 x 800, no lie, when she got the stick 1st and 2nd were coming on to the backstretch, it was amazing.

* Memphis East 4x200 relay run that 1:38.6 they were running by themselves, and I don't know if anyone paid attention but they had 2 bad handoffs, one was noticeably bad. I think they really had a low 1:37 in them.

*Once again the girl from USN in the 400, 55.

*Once again the same girl walk the girl on the anchor of the 4x4 relay, the girl was in the end of the curve, when she got the stick, she walked her then left her, it was really ugly.

-boys-

*Simeon Harris in both hurdles.

*Hamilton's 4x100 was tight too.

* The dude from McCallie who won the 1,2,&4.

* Last but not least Cordova's 4x4 was rolling it was no contest, they won by 3 seconds. on the first leg it was a little close, then on leg two he handed off in good position, the on leg 3 that man went all out and started to fade a little in the end but gave the stick to Simeon with about a 10m lead. Simeon opened the race up, he got out fast and kept it up on the backstrectch. he was going so fast that I thought he was going to fatigue badly, but no, he held it together good,and brought it home with no contest on the anchor leg. they finished 3:18.05 they were rollin fast.

The meet was very good this year way better than last year.

The only problem I had was in the boys 4x4 teams were in their running over 3:30, when in our regional meet , McGavock ran a 3:22 and lost by like 5 hundredths of a second, but they're sitting at home. that's not fair.

also in the girls 400 AAA, Chimaka Obi of Rossview placed 3rd at state, but wasn't suppose to run originally because she placed 3rd at regionals, but the girl who won had to scratch. That is a prime example, something needs to be done about state qualifying.

Guest kenwoodrun

BHS,

Outstanding thread, very good analysis.

By the way, the USN anchor leg on the 4x4 and 4x8 (Curry) ran unofficial splits of 2:12 in the 4x8 and a sick 54 in the 4x4 to make up ridiculous defecits to win.

And Memphis East breaking the 4x2 record by over a second...I watched them all the way around, and their handoffs could stand a little improvement. They could actually get faster. I'm not sure our girls would have even been in the finish straightaway when East crossed the line....

Simeon Harris was definately incredible, I saw quite a bit of his backside in both of the hurdles, but I'll be priviledged to say I ran against him twice when he hits it big in college and beyond. His 47 second split in the 4x400 is absolutely incredible, may be off a little depending on how you time it, but I wouldn't put it past him to run a 48-49 second open 400. I never would have thought that he could basically win the meet himself. I know there were other Cordova athletes, but he scored about 75% of their points alone.

Simeon Harris was definately incredible, I saw quite a bit of his backside in both of the hurdles, but I'll be priviledged to say I ran against him twice when he hits it big in college and beyond. His 47 second split in the 4x400 is absolutely incredible, may be off a little depending on how you time it, but I wouldn't put it past him to run a 48-49 second open 400. I never would have thought that he could basically win the meet himself. I know there were other Cordova athletes, but he scored about 75% of their points alone.

Simeon don't play...... :lol: