Hamilton CO SC eliminates baseball for MS

ELA

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viewing the news from Knoxville, I think this is extremely sad. I hope something can be done...and I hope this doesn't become a trend across the state.

Sports listed for elimination include high school baseball, softball, soccer, cross country, tennis, track and forensics and middle school cross country, tennis, track, soccer, golf, baseball and softball.

You can blame NCLB for this one!

What a pitiful, heartbreaking situation. ELA, don't worry about writing an essay or anything, but I'm curious as to how NCLB is to blame for the athletic cuts. Since you're an educator/coach in Hamilton County, I'd love to hear your perspective on the matter.

What a pitiful, heartbreaking situation. ELA, don't worry about writing an essay or anything, but I'm curious as to how NCLB is to blame for the athletic cuts. Since you're an educator/coach in Hamilton County, I'd love to hear your perspective on the matter.

You don't like essays? NCLB is an UNFUNDED FEDERAL MANDATE which means the federal gvt has passed a law requiring states and local school districts to do certain things to qualify for federal money. The states in turn pass the rulings down to the local school district and they too don't provide many additional funds to meet the new standards. Therefore, the local school boards must cover the additional costs, in this case about 12 million dollars. Now that is about half of what the county is short this year, the rest are various programs and an increase in the number of teachers and state mandated salary increases (step pay) for teachers. This is only part of the problem but it is having a negative impact on athletics.

You don't like essays? NCLB is an UNFUNDED FEDERAL MANDATE which means the federal gvt has passed a law requiring states and local school districts to do certain things to qualify for federal money. The states in turn pass the rulings down to the local school district and they too don't provide many additional funds to meet the new standards. Therefore, the local school boards must cover the additional costs, in this case about 12 million dollars. Now that is about half of what the county is short this year, the rest are various programs and an increase in the number of teachers and state mandated salary increases (step pay) for teachers. This is only part of the problem but it is having a negative impact on athletics.

Thanks for the info. I like essays fine, but didn't know if your brain/fingers would like typing them at 12:30!

Thanks for the info. I like essays fine, but didn't know if your brain/fingers would like typing them at 12:30!

Oh Heck... by now you should know I don't need a reason to start a long thread on coachT! ;) It's the dead period, what else is a poor football coach going to do?