Classic DII Games

WesVLT

Continuing along the line of Super Seven Superlatives, let's talk about some of our favorite games in DII (the other two divisions are welcome, too, of course).

When it comes to the classics, my mind always darts to the BA-MBA series, the finest private school rivalry in the state of Tennessee (usually featuring the two best teams in the state). There are some other legendary games that didn't involve both squads, however. Here are some of the best...

1) Academy 27, MBA 24 - October 31, 2003

This game had it all -- emotion (BA longed to avenge last year's bitter Clinic Bowl defeat), prestige (MBA was undefeated and nationally ranked, while BA had only 1 loss), tradition (a string of classic DII matchups had turned this into a bitter new rivalry), and a thrilling, controversial finish (MBA fans...need I say more?). BA led for most of the game until the Big Red mounted a late surge to take a 24-21 lead. MBA squelched the Eagles' apparent last shot at victory with an interception, but BA held and the Big Red were forced to punt. A bad snap put the ball just out of field goal range, and Tyler Griffin led the red & blue inside MBA's 10 before foolishly going down inbounds with 9 seconds and no timeouts remaining. Hunter Palmer and the BA kicking team frenetically surged onto the field and miraculously snapped the ball as time expired (or somewhere thereabouts), garnering the three points necessary to knot the score. Palmer nailed another field goal in overtime and MBA couldn't duplicate the feat, giving the Eagles one of the most thrilling victories in the school's illustrious gridiron history.

2)MBA 8, Academy 7 - Clinic Bowl; November 18, 2000

The Big Red had vanquished the Eagles 26-0 earlier in the season and were landslide favorites to win the Clinic Bowl, but Brentwood Academy had other plans...for three and a half quarters. BA led 7-2 most of the game until Florida recruit Ingle Martin led MBA to the end zone with little time remaining. BA QB Jesse Kellogg engineered a late drive to put BA inside MBA's 40 yard line, and Sophomore P/K Kody Bliss stepped into the game for the longest, most crucial field goal of his life -- a 55-yarder to win the state championship. The kick went 70 yards, but INCHES wide of the goalpost (the BA fans thought he'd made it and were already rejoicing), and the Big Red captured their third consecutive gold ball (their second at the expense of the Eagles).

3)McCallie 17, Academy 16 - Clinic Bowl; November 17, 2001

Sophomore QB Ryan Moore had led the Blue Tornado to a perfect regular season and a dominant semifinal win over Christian Brothers (31-13), while Brentwood Academy was entering with a 10-2 record, their only losses to MBA (17-0) and McCallie (10-3). McCallie was a tentative favorite, but the Eagles jumped on the Chattanooga boarders, climbing to a 10-0 halftime advantage. McCallie surged back to take a 14-10 lead, but two John Vaughn (Auburn) field goals put BA ahead 16-14 with 3:38 remaining. Moore conducted his Tornado teammates down the field in a legendary drive, completing a 4th-and-16 pass to put McCallie in field goal range as the clock waned. A few plays later Trey Meyer booted the ball through the posts and McCallie won its first DII crown, still the only league championship won by a team outside Middle Tennessee.

4)MBA 21, Academy 19 - Clinic Bowl; November 22, 1998

Brentwood Academy's Benji Walker-led team had amassed a flawless, dominant regular season, including a 21-13 victory over bitter rival MBA. The Big Red had revenge in their hearts, and out of the overflow of the heart the score testified. MBA bounded to a 21-6 lead before the Eagles crawled back into the contest. With seconds remaining, BA trailed by 2 points and held the ball just outside the Big Red Zone. On first down, Walker dropped back to pass and delivered a bullet -- right into the craning fingers of an MBA defensive lineman, who punched the ball into the air where it was caught by a Big Red defender. MBA secured the pigskin and the championship, exacting their revenge over the Eagles to garner their first of three consecutive DII gold trophies.

5) Academy 7, Memphis University School 3; October 1998

The undefeated Eagles faced their first test of the season in a Memphis monsoon. Rain flooded the field and waterlogged the ball, giving way to a sloppy exhibition of perseverance between two of the best teams in the state. MUS held a 3-0 lead much of the game until Benji Walker led BA to a late touchdown. The Owls rallied, however, steamrolling inside the Eagle 10 with only a few ticks remaining. On fourth and goal MUS's QB threw the ball into the end zone, where BA intercepted the pass and contently fell into the grassy floodwater to fend off a valiant challenge.

Other legendary games:

Brentwood Academy 21, MBA 13 - October 1998

Brentwood Academy 13, McCallie 10 (2 OT) - State semifinals; November 2000

McCallie 28, Brentwood Academy 27 (OT) - October 2002

Brentwood Academy 31, Baylor 28 - State quarterfinals; November 2001

What are your classics?

Edited by WesVols

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you say that last year's regular season ba vs. mba game is the most classic game ever? IT WAS A FLUKE! the refs messed up. BA got lucky. I am usually a BA fan, but after that game I felt ashamed that my team had won unfairly. Actually, I was embarrassed that we needed those ref's horriable calls to win that game. Moreover, they couldnt back up their "undeserved" win when they played again in the clinic bowl. they got plundered! (38-14). In my opinion, last years clinic bowl should be the #1 classic game ever! it had everything: competition, emotion, revenge, and determination on mba's part to "embarrass" their rivals in what should have been a close game.

The first Super 7 title game in 1997 was a good one. Father Ryan beat MBA 10-7 with a late FG. Ryan finished undefeated that year at 12-0 and had a great defense. MBA finished 9-3, with its three losses coming by a combined 7 points.

Take away MBA's Clinic Bowl victories in '99 (49-15), '02 (27-11), and '03 (38-14) and you have four great title games decided by a total of seven points. I'd say the '01 game may have been the best. McCallie was a team of destiny that year, as evidenced by the aforementioned 4th and 16 conversion to keep the drive alive. That McCallie team was underrated in a down year for the Super 7, and I think they would have given Red Bank all they would have wanted.

How can you say that last year's regular season ba vs. mba game is the most classic game ever? IT WAS A FLUKE! the refs messed up. BA got lucky. I am usually a BA fan, but after that game I felt ashamed that my team had won unfairly. Actually, I was embarrassed that we needed those ref's horriable calls to win that game. Moreover, they couldnt back up their "undeserved" win when they played again in the clinic bowl. they got plundered! (38-14). In my opinion, last years clinic bowl should be the #1 classic game ever! it had everything: competition, emotion, revenge, and determination on mba's part to "embarrass" their rivals in what should have been a close game.

You sure sound like a BA fan to me... :lol:

It was a nailbiting game between the best teams in the state. Qualifies as a classic to me.

In the 2002-2003 football season, FACS traveled to Region opponent SBEC. The game was close the whole time. It was 7-0, FACS lead, at the half. Both teams came out of the half fired up. SBEC ended up scoring to make it 7-7. After that it was punt after punt. Towards the end of the 4th quarter, we (FACS) had the ball in field goal range. The field goal ended up getting blocked, by their MLB, sending it into OT. FACS scored on their first play of that drive with a touchdown pass from Jarod Wooton to Clayton Dowdy. SBEC then had the ball and couldn't run the ball at all the first 3 plays against our defensive line. So on 4th down they attempted a pass, but Hunter Maynard was sacked by Brandon Crawford to end the game. Personally I think this was one of the best games I've ever seen. It was a nail biter the whole game.

I would have thought that you could have been more detailed than "BA intercepted it" in the MUS game... Eric Settle intercepted it, no? It was soooooo wet that night. It was more than a monsoon.

How's this, T?

"Eric Settle would not settle for a loss. With the eyes of a hawk and the talons of an Eagle, he picked off the pass, and in doing so picked the scab that was MUS's confidence. They lost two of their next four games and failed to make the Super Seven playoffs."

But listing my own favorite D-II games... here we go...

1) MBA vs BA... shoot, just whenever these teams matchup it seems like it's going to be great. '98 and the '00 Clinic Bowls are my favorite. If I had seen last year's regular season game, probably would be on the list too.

2) BGA vs Briarcrest- '02 Clinic Bowl. What a classic this was... 2 OTs, need I say more.

3) BA vs McCallie- playoffs '00. Another overtime game and John Vaughn pulled through for the Eagles, nailing his FGs. I'm sure Wes could tell you more about this game.

There have been plenty great games in D-II... too many to list them all.

How's this, T?

"Eric Settle would not settle for a loss. With the eyes of a hawk and the talons of an Eagle, he picked off the pass, and in doing so picked the scab that was MUS's confidence. They lost two of their next four games and failed to make the Super Seven playoffs."

So then it was in '97? I could have sworn that MUS came up here in '97 and gave us a big butt-kicking. And '98, like you said, was when that game was and they were undefeated in the regular season.

I'm confused.... :D