single player hipe

ktrainfan

I am a big Huntingdon Mustang Fan, but confused as to how so much emphasis can be put on one single player, in a sport that takes so many individual efforts.How can anyone justify playing players based on name and parental stature in the community as to players who give their all not only on the game field, but also in practice, spring training, and the weight room. These kids that show up w/out hesitation or coaxing day after day in the summer just to better themselves because they love the sport so much! Only to have someone that is not nearly as strong, hungry, and driven to grab the positions that these work horses have earned rightfully. It is a sad thing to think of excellent players who have dropped out or been discouraged from the sport based on the fact that they have given several years of their lives to something they love so much, only to be told that they must try harder for a position that someone else has just stepped up out of nowhere and taken with less than half the effort put in. I bring this up do to a conversation overheard on the field about a certain senior who left the team. It is speculated that this individual left because they were overcome with the greed of material things, such as cars,girls, jobs, and money. In fact this person left for the simple fact that after all these years in the weight room and on the field he was still facing the grim reality that he would not be starting as a senior. This kid was no slacker by any means, and gave 110% at all times. I am sure that someone will read this and figure out who it is, but just remember - not all of the deserving players make on the field for the simple fact of politics in this sport! The sad thing is that other players see it while the grown folks scratch their heads and make accusations. THIS IS A TEAM SPORT AND THERE IS NO I IN TEAM!

• 1 month later...

KtrainFan, I have been to several of the Huntingdon games. And your son is a fine ball player. You are right that it takes many players and each one of them has to give so much with all giving a great effort to get the win each and every Friday night. If a player leaves a team or if players want to join a team that is there own bussiness. Either way these players will grow up and become adults and look back as players or just fans and remember these years for the rest of there lives always. The big problem with everything about playing any sports is being beat out at a position. But it really hits home when a underclassman beats you out. Remember it might be your son or daughter that gets beat out next year or even this year. Just support this team as winners that they all are and quit worring about having just one player in the spotlight. If they have what it takes to get to the next level it will show and we all will support them then just like we do now.

Put the best players on the field at all times, That's the way it is in life. THE BEST Person for the job. Even if it is underclassman. They knock you on your butt too.

Go Mustangs,

Get the GOLD again.

Edited by tricklician