Jeff Co vs Knox Central Scrimmage!

JC4life

Overall the scrimmage was not good for Jeff Co.The score was 1-1 when the varsity played each other (Central had a TD called back) The O-Line was the only true bright spot for Jeff Co,they were blowing open holes you drive a mack truck through(even though they were facing 9 in the box).The problem was,Shiverdecker didn`t hit the holes hard most of the time.On the first drive of the game,Jeff Co was gaining 5 yds a play,but kept getting penalties,that killed the first drive.Other than that first drive Jeff Co was mostly contained on offense.The WR couldn`t get open so the passing game was very bad,except for a few passing plays to the RB's out of the backfield.Central was very effective as long as they kept in the hands of the very sneaky QB Helton,and #1 Terence Scott,who is just a flat out stud on offense and D.Central was able to move the ball very well on their first drive,but they also had problems with penalites,which kept them from scoring.Jeff Co's 2nd drive was much worst than the 1st,while the line was still playing very well,the RB's were not.Jeff Co was forced to punt after not doing much.Central's second drive was very good,they were able to tear the Jeff Co D apart with the option(not many teams will be able to stop it this year) They got big time plays from their RB's getting the ball down into the goal line,then finally putting it in from about the 7 yd line.Jeff Co third drive started much like the first two,with Jeff Co not being able to move the ball well.Finally Chris Shiverdeck came out of his shell,and broke a 50yd run for a TD,slipping through Centrals defenders along the way.While it was one of the only highlights of the day,it hopefully was a signed of things to come.Central was able to move the ball on their 3rd drive,but was unable to score.Jefferson County needs a good amount of help on both sides of the ball,you could clearly see this team is still deep in the learning phase.Not much time though,the 2nd scrimmage is Tuesday.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to thank all the folks from Jeff Co for coming down. I talked with a few sitting by me and they really seem to like your new coach. You could tell that Jeff Co was trying to get used to a new system. If Jeff Co can develop a passing game, it would take a lot of pressure off of the running backs. Central really started crowding the line of scrimmage when they saw that Jeff Co could not pass the ball on them.

This scrimmage was also a learning time for some new zebras and they were getting their money's worth in throwing flags. I had spoken to Phil Hatcher the day before and he said to expect that. He actually wants them to do that.

Central looked to be the better team. They moved the ball both with the pass and the run. As JC said, the option was working well. Central is also working on some new offensive sets and they were missing 2 starters on the O line, so there were some busts. Central did score 2 more td's later, but I think the Jeff Co D was a mix of starters and reserves at that time. Central's reserves scored 2 times on the Jeff Co reserves. I also thought our kicker, Adam Cox, was impressive tonite. He was hitting 57 yarders before the scrimmage and a 50 yarder during it.

It was a good learning experience for both. Good luck to the Patriots this year. I think they will be a handful as the year goes on. thumb

Central dominated the scrimmage mostly, but there was a few times they self destructed. Jeff County only found the end zone on one occasion and that was against several Central reserves.The Central offense looked good at times scoring 5 TDs and one field goal. One TD was called back.

I think overall the coaches must have been pleased considering two starting offensive lineman were held out, along with the starting middle guard and starting middle linebacker. Zach Helton wasnt 100% either due to a nagging injury.Jeff county appeared to have some tallent and should improve.

Central dominated the scrimmage mostly, but there was a few times they self destructed. Jeff County only found the end zone on one occasion and that was against several Central reserves.The Central offense looked good at times scoring 5 TDs and one field goal. One TD was called back.

I think overall the coaches must have been pleased considering two starting offensive lineman were held out, along with the starting middle guard and starting middle linebacker. Zach Helton wasnt 100% either due to a nagging injury.Jeff county appeared to have some tallent and should improve.

825299061[/snapback]

yes 5 touchdowns, but 4 against the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings, Good Job!!!

You could tell both teams were trying new things during the scrimmage,because they didn`t keep doing the same few plays that worked.Central would run the option,then switch to something different.If they had wanted to,they could have run options,and those little dump off passes to #1 and scored at will.I`m telling you right now, Terence Scott is one of the best football players in the state before and after he catches the ball.I would have like to see #33 Trey Reliford run the ball some with the first team,he hit the hole hard on his first carry,but the second team O-line got whipped all night after that.Hopefully the team will learn alot from this scrimmage,and be better prepared for Mo East.

After watching that one scrimmage I can already tell you some changes that need to made for Jeff Co.First #72 Scott Hopkins needs to start at DT with #40 Jason Yeary,Scott was about the only person in the front 7 who really whip his guy on D.Second,they need to put Daniel Green at the MLB,bump #6 Zack Smiley out to OLB,and sit #Rabbit Lowery down.He's just not ready to start as a sophmore,he must become a smarter player before he starts.In the next scrimmage Try Reliford needs to get some runs with the first team,running Shiverdecker,who has never started,on every play is not smart.Trey hit the holes hard last night and needs to get some PT at RB.

After watching that one scrimmage I can already tell you some changes that need to made for Jeff Co.First #72 Scott Hopkins needs to start at DT with #40 Jason Yeary,Scott was about the only person in the front 7 who really whip his guy on D.Second,they need to put Daniel Green at the MLB,bump #6 Zack Smiley out to OLB,and sit #Rabbit Lowery down.He's just not ready to start as a sophmore,he must become a smarter player before he starts.In the next scrimmage Try Reliford needs to get some runs with the first team,running Shiverdecker,who has never started,on every play is not smart.Trey hit the holes hard last night and needs to get some PT at RB.

825299229[/snapback]

jc

i don't know how much you know about the team, but you need to check things out, Daniel is starting lb, he could not play last night, didn't you notice that he was in shorts and a t-shirt. He was dehydrated Thurs, went to the hospital, Scott cannot play much at a time, they are playing a 3-4, Luther was double teamed all night, and still flushed out the play and drove them both back, I agree that Trey can run, also you should be able to tell Shiver is not that smart, speed only in the open field, he hasn't ever hit his holes, Rabbit will come in time, that is why they were giving him some time in the "scrimmage"

But maybe you should coach Huh?

jc

i don't know how much you know about the team, but you need to check things out,  Daniel is starting lb, he could not play last night, didn't you notice that he was in shorts and a t-shirt.  He was dehydrated Thurs, went to the hospital, Scott cannot play much at a time, they are playing a 3-4, Luther was double teamed all night, and still flushed out the play and drove them both back, I agree that Trey can run, also you should be able to tell Shiver is not that smart, speed only in the open field, he hasn't ever hit his holes, Rabbit will come in time, that is why they were giving him some time in the "scrimmage" 

But maybe you should coach Huh?

825299230[/snapback]

You need to go to some practices,Daniel Green as of the first week of practice has not been out with the first team D.He would not have been starting at MLB had he not been dehydrated.You have no idea how much Scott can play,he was only given 1-2 plays at DT in a row.Also we are not playing a 3-4,we actually play a 4-3 with the OLB walked up to the line so that it looks like a 5-2.If you go to few practices you will see this stuff.I also think Red should be playing the other DE.

JC--was #72 the real big kid on the D line? He looked like a load. He probably out weighed our O tackled by 50 or 60lbs. Keep in mind that Central's O line is not huge and they do not run right at you too often. They do a lot of pulling and traps. Central could have run the option to the right as often as they wanted to because they have quicker linemen. I worry about Central not being able to score from inside the 10 yd line when there is less field to work with. We could not have blown the Jeff Co kids off the ball down there. You all have some stout kids and I think you will be OK as the season rolls on.

You need to go to some practices,Daniel Green as of the first week of practice has not been out with the first team D.He would not have been starting at MLB had he not been dehydrated.You have no idea how much Scott can play,he was only given 1-2 plays at DT in a row.Also we are not playing a 3-4,we actually play a 4-3 with the OLB walked up to the line so that it looks like a 5-2.If you go to few practices you will see this stuff.I also think Red should be playing the other DE.

825299338[/snapback]