smyrna lavergne

bulldog12

If Smyrna played the whole game like they did in the second half it would have been like 55-0. I think it says a lot about the potential of Smyrna if they play like garbage and still win by 34 points. One player that impressed me was the back-up QB for Smyrna. I think he was the transfer from Kentucky. It's good to know that if Orona gets hurt they have a halfway descent back up. Jenkins did absolutely nothing on the ground and caught one pass for some yardage. All I hope is that Smyrna doesn't overlook Hendersonville thinking about Riverdale.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

But if Smyrna played like they did in the first half of play against anyone, especially a good team............it will be curtains on dethroning Riverdale. Lavergne was beating themselves with penalties, but moving the ball on SHS. SHS could not get their O in a rhythm til after the half. Their punter was very good and giving LHS bad field position. SHS took advantage of LHS shooting themselves in the foot. The 2nd half was basically SHS waking up and deciding to play.

Any word on Scott Harvey's injury from Lavergne?

Guest Oakland

ill second that, lavergne basically gave up once smyrna scored. to be honest, i really wasnt that impressed with smyrna, i know its week 1 but lavergne should have been leading at halftime, but like region says lavergne shot themselves in the foot, thomas didnt help them too much either with his play calling, in my opinion smyrna has a long way to go before they prove to me that they are no.2 in region 4

Game notes

Smyrna replaced a 4 yrs starter D1 player at QB with someone that hasn't played QB since he was a 7th grader. Was he shaky at first you bet. Did he settle down in the second half? yes.

Smyrna replaced 3 offensive lineman and did they do well the 1st half? no

Did they come out and dominate the second half? yes

Boles could start for a lot of teams and we have the luxury of knowing that we have a very talented QB that can step in. Not many teams have that luxury.

Remeber Smyrna only had 2 scrimmages and I believe that really hurt us. It seemed like the 1st half was more like a scrimmage with Smyrna trying different things and trying to get in synch.

The main thing is this Smyrna won a region game and has a game under their belt.

We also play Hendersonville next week and they also run the wing T.

We also will get a week of later to heal up and het their legs back late in the season.

Ask any coach in the region and I guarantee they would love to be home today with a region win under their belt knowing they have a bye to use later.

MVP - Michael Hinson - I am old school and somewhere in a close game punting

(he avg 48 yrds/punt) and kicking (He kicked every second half kick throught the end zone and will kick every kick in the endzone unless it is into the wind.)

Blake Winters is an outstanding LB and being on the outside showed his quickness to the ball all night.

SHS HEAD BUSTa - If every kid playing football had his love of the game and desire you would never lose. If he is on the field anytime practice runnig against 1st team or game you can just see the love of the game he has. He always gives it his all. You may not realize fans and coaches don't notice it but they do.

Know as for Oakland not being impressed---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. I wasn't either because I know we are a lot better than what we showed.

But I much rather be impressed later like 2 wks from now

(hard to believe you win a game 34 to zero and that isn't enough)

You thought I was gonna go off on ya didn't ya :D

Guest Oakland

you read my mind, cat. i was bracing for impact(hey that rhymes! :D ) i did put into consideration that this is week 0 and smyrna didnt get to scrimmage their final 2 times. was suprised they didnt go more with the intermediate passing game and just passing more period. but if lavergne pull this kind of thing and gives up everytime somebody scores before they do, they may be in a for a very long season, in fact they may be in for a long season period if harvey is out for any length of time

Edited by oakland2001

One bit of advice for Lavergne

practice your punting team! Not one time were they ever able to get the right or same 11 men on the field. Several times they lined up with 9 or 10 men!

Orona does need to take some underneath routes more often. He has such a cannon he always wants to go deep. (I agreed withn you twice in one day)

Smyrna has not shown a tenth of the weapons they have. I am telling you we are loaded at wide receiver at about 8 deep. Now the key is geting them the ball.

I think one of the reasons that Smyrna came is out sluggish is that they were playing LaVergne. LaVergne is not a game that Smyrna gets pumped up for. That is a game that they are expected to win and except for one time always have. It's easy to take a weak opponent lightly and that's what happened. I can almost garuntee it won't happen like that against Riverdale because they WANT to win that one.

Guest region4fan

Sorry, I think it was the lack of scrimmages that caused the poor play of the first half. Everyone else got in scrimmages, including LHS which gave them a chance under the lights and a chance to pund someone other than themselves. If you look at the LC/FHS match-up......it seems that Frnklin was the same as SHS....slow to start. Remember that was who SHS scrimmaged when they found out they were a day early and self-reported. Their punishment was no more scrimmages. i bet Shad is more cautious next yr!