The Unglorious Positions

ORPlaYa429

Everyone always talks about the runningbacks, quarterbacks, and wide receivers. Well, other people play too, and im talking about the offensive line and the fullbacks. These arent very glorified positions, but they are needed just as much as the otehr skill positions. Who are some boys that do a great job but never get the glory?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the young men who work just as hard, (If not harder) than the playmakers. And get the blame if the play does not work, and give the praise to someone else if it does work correctly. There are some huge men on these line, and there are some smaller linemen that carry their own weekly. Most of them love what they do and have gotten used to being the scapegoat of the backfield. But every once and a while they too get some well deserved glory and that is a blessing. I remember a young man by the name of Dewey from Seymour who was a lineman that actually ran a fumble back for a touchdown against Oliver Springs in 1999. My son was a defensive end and blocked for him all the way up the field. THAT was a great moment!!!

Justin West is a very good senior fullback at McMinn County. He can do it all at the fullback position. He can run like a tailback, catch like a reciver, and can block like a lineman. He's also got a good attitude on and off the field. He'll turns some heads this year in Region 2 5A, as he gives McMinn another option on offense.

I am was a lineman in high school so I know exactly how it feels to be overlooked. But I think I had it better than most people across the state. In Murfreesboro, the Daily News Journal always does at least one article per year for each teams O-line. I had my picture in the paper in 2002. Riverdale's lineman get a lot of credit. In 2000 or 2001, Ralph King was selected to be on Monday Night Live with Jeff Fisher and he said he wouldn't go unless he could bring his whole O-line, and he did.

Nobody cares about lineman. They do most of the work and get no attention. That is the American way of life you see it in everything we do.

But I for one virtually only watch the line play during a football game, that is what I enjoy. These are the worker bees the fighters the heros. These are the true players they do not want any glory. If any does come they are usually humble. They love the game for its Struggles and triumphs. They have there glory in winning the individual battles. They talk of chops, slaps, jabs, cuts, punchs seal. The warriors up front is the game.

You can have 400 running 500 passing and the warriors go unnoticed. Hav -40 and 6 for 24 and they are horrible. That is there plight in life, but they LOVE it and we LOVE them.

HAIL TO ALL LINEMAN WHO GIVE IT ALL.