McCallie, Baylor, and Ooltewah

SergeantOwl22

I know of 3 athletes that went to Ooltewah middle who got calls from McCallie and Baylor and turn them down to come to Ooltewah!

I think it was this statement that gets people. The biggest recruiter for any school (public or private) is the players themselves. So and so talks to so and so and says hey, we need a linebacker. Sometimes it is parents. But when you say McCallie and Baylor called them, then you are saying that the schools did something illegal.

It is a good discussion but I think you should choose your words better if you really don't care what they do.

I agree- Go Owls and Go Tornadoes.

It would be a slobberknocker if they ever were to meet on the field. I would love to see it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forget the recruiting argument. Their are players at most public high school who are out of zone also. McCallie and Baylor do have an advantage over public schools because of athletes from all over the state, country, and even world. It is just not the same as a community zone. However i would still like to see Ooltewah play them. i hope Baylor and McCallie have great seasons.

I can end this stupid arguement.  ya'll tell me any starter on the mccallie football team and i can tell you why he is at Mccallie.  If Mccallie recuited, why has their line's average weight been 185 pounds over the past two years(I think it is about up to 195 pounds this year.

825345154[/snapback]

Agreed...if they're recruiting, then they aren't trying hard enough!

I know I've been on both sides of the argument, but some people just want to go to schools like that because of the school's academics, financial support(not aid to the student, but overall budget and cash flow), prestige, etc.

I know it's tempting to go to a school that has the facilities and resources McCallie and Baylor has. Their athletic budgets are 3, 4, 5, 6, and more times that of Ooltewah. Probably mroe like 20 times!

Edited by GradfromtheNest

what do you mean what is the goal of the ooltewah program? that is a very dumb question, the goal of ooltewah athletics is just like it is for any other program, it is to provide the kids with an opportunity to come out and enjoy their high school lives playing the game of their choice that they love and hopefully improve each day month and year and if its possible field a competitive team...if it is the will of al lthe players on each given team then they will band together and make themselves into the best team possible, and work harder and harder at achieving that district, region, sub state or state championship, however far you can make it in your sport...what kind of question is that, what is the goal of ooltewah's program, thats one of the dumbest questions i've heard in a while, you could answer that one for yourself

825343937[/snapback]

Let me tell you something mnewballer21. A "stupid" question deserves a "stupid" answer and that is just what you provided. How can you make a judgement call about any other program? How do you know the goal of any team besides your own? Do you think the goal of the Patriots of the NFL is to "field a competative team"? Are you kidding me? They want the trophy. Do you think the Yankees are satisfied with making it to the world series only to be ruuner up?

Yes, improvement is a goal of every team but the goal is that a team bring home the golden football by winning your last game. Now honestly, at the beginning of the year, how many teams actually believed they could win it all. HONESTLY. Some teams say that but do they really believe it and do they work for it. Many teams say that but aren't willing to do what is necessary to attain the ultimate on the field goal.

Many teams view a 9-2 record as a successful season. But teams that have won championships feel they have fallen short of the goal.

I do think we agree that there are other goals of building character, integrity, work ehtic, community and those intangibles.

I can't speak for the goal of Ooltewah's program. I guess it's to "field a competative team" as you say. Personally I hope the Owls win it all and bring the golden ball back to Chattanooga. That's my goal.

But I guess my expectations are higher than yours. I don't like settling for runner-up. Do you?

ok first of all i am not talking about professional sports and men i am talking about high school KIDS....do you think that these kids when they get to become grown men are gonna beat themselves up 30 years down the road because they didn't win a state title, NO!! that would be ridiculous, they are going to be thankful for the times that they had with their teammates and coaches and remember it as one of the most fun times of their lives...all a state championship does for anyone when they are that much older is give them stories to tell their children and grandchildren...im sorry if you will die if you do not win, yes i like to win but is not the end all for me, as long as i come out better being a better person than i was going into the situation i see it as a win and that is what playing high school sports does for you and that is what the goal of HIGH SCHOOL programs is, not professional like you tried to bring into the argument...you can go and ask any high school coach and see if he would rather have everyone of his kids go on and continue their educational career in college or win a state championship and i guarentee you he will say he wished all his kids could make it into a college...so as far as i can tell the goal of high school sports all across the nation is to make kids into better athletes and more so better people

wow.... i gotta agree with mnewballer about the high school sports issue... the only people who would put such an onus on high school sports success, would be old "has been"/ never were men who never got over high school... the type of people who never really achieved in life what they had strived for, and therefore just always worshipped their "glory days" back in high school. you know the type, the sad men who are out of high school but still wear that old lettermans jacket, ... a sad sight indeed. I agree that that high school sports are there to create friendships and everylasting memories that you can look back on, and know that they helped mold you into the person you became in your latter years. not the defining moment of your life, as you have labeled them to be....

oh and not to dog mccallie because i am a big fan of their program, but should they be talking about anyones number of state titles?? i mean, if you get to go to the playoffs EVERY year, and only have 6 other teams to beat to wint it all shouldnt they have more titles??

Edited by stayNskool

To summarize: On another thread, someone sniffing glue stated that Ooltewah would beat everyone of the Super Seven. I think the consensus is that Ooltewah won't play any members of the Super Seven as a policy. That being the case, it is incredibly stupid to get on here and tell everyone what your team can do knowing your team will never have to actually play any of the teams you say you can beat.

On another matter, Baylor can beat every team in the NFL. Too bad they can't play them.

did anyone say they Ooltewah WOULD BEAT any teams in the 'super seven'?? NO... All of us have said they we FEEL that Ooltewah COULD(that implies "possibly") PLAY WITH, any team in Division-II. And again, POSSIBLY, beat them.

Therefore to recap:

Ooltewah feels they could beat the teams in Division-II. McCallie and Baylor, think they could beat most 5A teams. And most importantly of all, we all wish the NFL teams weren't so scared of Baylor, that way we could all be proven correct when the Red Raiders, have their way with all 32 teams. I hope I've covered everything.

Anyone else getting the feeling that this is the most pointless thread in all of Coacht.com

The one thing that is missed is this. The way teams get better is by playing better teams. Mccallie was not a good team until they got into the super seven. Since the compitition is so high it made Mccallie get better. Mccallie's first year in the Super seven they were 1-9. But, after that year they got better. They did not shy away from good teams. They just got better by playing good teams. I believe that Ooltewah could do the same thing. Their is no question that they have as good if not better athletes than Mccallie. If they played those really great teams (Brentwood, MBA, CBHS) year in and year out; than they would learn how to elevate their game to another level. That is what happened to Mccallie.

The one thing that is missed is this.  The way teams get better is by playing better teams.  Mccallie was not a good team until they got into the super seven.  Since the compitition is so high it made Mccallie get better.  Mccallie's first year in the Super seven they were 1-9.  But, after that year they got better.  They did not shy away from good teams.  They just got better by playing good teams.  I believe that Ooltewah could do the same thing.  Their is no question that they have as good if not better athletes than Mccallie.  If they played those really great teams    (Brentwood, MBA, CBHS) year in and year out; than they would learn how to elevate their game to another level.  That is what happened to Mccallie.

825351258[/snapback]

Once again you are preaching to the choir!