What wrong with the McMinn Co. Cherokees

clevelandblueraiderfan

Does the head coach of McMinn call his plays or does he leave it up to his Off.Coord.? Sounds like offense is struggling scoring eleven points in four games.

825344864[/snapback]

They have more than 11 points in 4 games. They are being outscored this year by almost 50 points. The hope for the playoffs is over this year, so I think it's time to give Johnson some experience at QB in order to get him ready for next year

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McMinn should win some games, but unless they pull an upset, they will not be in the playoffs.  That appears to be: Oak Ridge, Soddy Daisy, Farragut, and Ooltewah.

McMinn just does not have enough athletes and key position players to do better than fifth in the Region.  I was surprised when I saw them play -- their defensive and offensive lines are just not as big as in the past.

825346598[/snapback]

We do have enough athletes and key position players I mean they just dont put them in. I have seen some of the jv players play better than some of the varsity. No our defensive lines and offensive lines arent as big. I mean last year we had Maurice Vestal, and Aaron Ferguson on D and Derrick and Dustin Millaway, Maurice Smith on O so I mean I understand that part. But as for the athletes we do have them we just need to use the better ones.

We do have enough athletes and key position players I mean they just dont put them in. I have seen some of the jv players play better than some of the varsity. No our defensive lines and offensive lines arent as big. I mean last year we had Maurice Vestal, and Aaron Ferguson on D and Derrick and Dustin Millaway, Maurice Smith on O so I mean I understand that part. But as for the athletes we do have them we just need to use the better ones.

825347087[/snapback]

Dustin Millaway never played football in high school. He played basketball for two years and baseball all 4 years.

From what I have seen of McMinn so far is they do have a couple of athletes, but their depth is in serious question. Having two or three good athletes just won't cut in region 2--5A. These teams at the top have some serious athletes and plenty of depth.

Unfortunately, for SE TN, McMinn is down this year. Ootlewah and Soddy will have to carry the banner for SE TN; we all know Bradley is at the bottom of the barrel, maybe even worse than Heritage.

I have to agree with several of the posts. I think McMinn has a good shot at going 5-5 this year. The difficulty will come when McMinn goes into their final three games (if everything plays out) 2-5. Motivating the players into believing they can win the final three will be hard.

Gimme3 & tonymontana, why should Devon be playing? From what I've heard he got his shot at quaterback at McMinn's camp and didn't produce. He has played three games at receiver and hasn't done anything. He doesn't practice hard, goes half speed, etc. Why should he be playing? vOlLeYbOlTrs24, be specific. What McMinn JV players should be playing? And don't dare say Robert Moore. He has been suspended for two of the last three games.

I find it interesting to listen to people in the community when they talk about football. So many of them know absolutely nothing. They are generally the loudest. You can talk all you want about how bad McMinn is. About how they don't have skill people or they don't have linemen. Their coaching staff doesn't know anything. Their offense is non-existent. The QB doesn't throw the ball well. Bottom line is they could easily be 3-1 and the opinions would be totally different. A loss at Cleveland (who will probably go 8-2 or 9-1 this year) in which McMinn missed a FG, had a TD called back and another run to the 5 yard line called back. Assuming the Cherokees scored on that drive ( I know it is a big assumption), McMinn wins 20-14. A 6-0 game in the "monsoon" on Thursday to a Farragut team ranked in the top 10 in the state (I know, too high). A fumble recovery inside Farragut's 25 reversed b/c of a penalty. One big play and McMinn wins.

It amazes me to listen to people complain about the current losing streak. These same people at the end of last year and thru the summer talked about how many seniors were lost (~20), how many returning starters were back (2 on offense, 4 on defense), how many upper classmen McMinn has (~20 Jr's & Sr's), how many soph's would have to start (8-9). All of these things added up to (what people said) a mediocre team. Lucky to go 5-5.

Why then are you surprised? You have a young, talented bunch of players who try hard but have yet to figure out what they have to do to win. Quit complaining and start supporting them.

I think most of the frustration lies with the fact that McMinn has better skill players than the've had since about the '93-94 team. I mean you have mcBride who ran all over people last year and then Locke who coaching staff says is even better than McBride. You have two good fullbacks in West and Moody, and to top that off you have McDermott. Throw in Stansell, Johnson, and Frazier at wideouts and it's hard to imagine going three games without a TD. I hear everyone saying the problem is offensive line- why not put a couple of those running backs at guard and let them pull and block. With the speed McMinn has they ought to be able to get outside and do some damage. With that said, I agree no one should get down on the Cherokees- as with any new head coach it takes a few years experience to figure things out. Coach Daugherty will do the best job he can.

I think most of the frustration lies with the fact that McMinn has better skill players than the've had since about the '93-94 team. I mean you have mcBride who ran all over people last year and then Locke who coaching staff says is even better than McBride. You have two good fullbacks in West and Moody, and to top that off you have McDermott. Throw in Stansell, Johnson, and Frazier at wideouts and it's hard to imagine going three games without a TD. I hear everyone saying the problem is offensive line- why not put a couple of those running backs at guard and let them pull and block. With the speed McMinn has they ought to be able to get outside and do some damage. With that said, I agree no one should get down on the Cherokees- as with any new head coach it takes a few years experience to figure things out. Coach Daugherty will do the best job he can.

825348708[/snapback]

have you ever considered the fact that mcminn co. athletes just arent up to par with the rest of the regions. ;)