Siegel vs. Riverdale

Harris' hooligans

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok lets look at things realistically. In Murfreesboro alone there are 4 school (OHS, Siegel, BHS, and RHS. Now granted Siegel is in its 2nd year and Blackman is going into its 5th, so with all these school in the boro area alone, i guess everyone just so happens to live in Riverdale's zone? there is no way you can tell me that all the good ball players in the county are zoned for Riverdale. And they never have an off/ rebuilding year, unlike lets say Oakland and Blackman. Now logically explain how that happens, because unless i am missing something i dont see how that is possible. SECOND, if you can say that Rankin did not try to get Rico to come back to RHS illegally then you need to open your eyes. Like i said when all of that went down look who was in charge of the schools, there was no way you would have been able to prove it. Look on these boards ppl and you will read stories about Riverdale recruiting. I am not bitter, i have been at games when the Blaze have handed it to Riverdale in other sports and i am proud with that. Even though Blackman has had 2 rebuilding years in football doesnt take away from the accomplishments we have had in other sports. I am not complaining, i am grown up, and i have the right to say whatever i wish. Im pretty sure im not the only person who has these same thoughts.

Siegel--is going through normal growing pains. Perhaps a little worse than normal since they got most of their kids from Oakland and there were already problems in the program there.

Oakland--is in the rebuilding mode. I am not privvy to what went on over there but something internally caused football to crash and burn. I like what coach Ferguson is doing so I expect them to be back in a couple years.

Blackman--got a ready made football team from Riverdale and had too much early success. The admin decided to look for ways other than hard work to maintain that success. They are paying for that now. Blackman is in a great position to have success long-term but they don't seem to be willing to work for it. Personally, I don't think they have a very good coach.

Riverdale--Obewon Rankin installed a football program at Riverdale that has grown into a football machine. The easiest thing the players do is play the football games. Practices and workouts are conducted at a championship level. The intensity of a Riverdale practice is unlike any other. The kids are given the formula for success and they follow it to a tee, they work their butts off to get on the field as JRs and SRs.

In the DNJ a couple months ago there was an article about the demographics of Rutherford county. I was shocked to find out that 60-70%, or something like that, of county residents were renters, meaning they are pretty free to relocate. There is only one stable program in Murfreesboro right now and that is where the players and parents will migrate to. I don't think Riverdale needs to recruit...the kids want to come to Riverdale. Look at the capsules above and do the math. If you are not afraid to work for success, Riverdale is the place to be.

If you have to force the kids to go to your school, what does that say?

The motto:

"I have no magic formula, the only way I know how to win is through hard work"

There's the answer you are looking for. No amount of backroom dealing or letters to the TSSAA can change the facts. Bring in a good coach, instill the right work ethic, and in time success will follow. There is really no other way to do it.

In the DNJ a couple months ago there was an article about the demographics of Rutherford county. I was shocked to find out that 60-70%, or something like that, of county residents were renters, meaning they are pretty free to relocate. There is only one stable program in Murfreesboro right now and that is where the players and parents will migrate to. I don't think Riverdale needs to recruit...the kids want to come to Riverdale. Look at the capsules above and do the math. If you are not afraid to work for success, Riverdale is the place to be.

If you have to force the kids to go to your school, what does that say?

The motto:

"I have no magic formula, the only way I know how to win is through hard work"

There's the answer you are looking for. No amount of backroom dealing or letters to the TSSAA can change the facts. Bring in a good coach, instill the right work ethic, and in time success will follow. There is really no other way to do it.

Couldn't have said it any better TDC. My sentiments exactly. You want a school that everyone wants to be a part of then hire the people in charge of the programs capable of running top notch systems from athletics to academics. I can tell you by experience from our own victimization that the good ol' boy network will kill a school and it's programs every time. If your system is based on politics and who you know, it will fall in ashes. Hard work, dedication and excitement will get you where you want to go. Just have the leadership in place to guide the youth to their destiny. thumb

Guest region4fan

The Good Old Boy network WAS alive and well in the Boro with Hulan Watson as the superintendent......thus Riverdale reaped the benefits in three fold. That is why Blackman opening barely dented their program's numbers. Surely you don't think Tom Nolan was the best choice for a principal at that school? What better puppet than an ex- RHS football coach for Hulan to continue to pull the strings and run the dynasty.

Amazing part to me is that many kids from Rdale that are walking around with champ rings on their fingers totally despise Rankin. They speak highly of their other coaches from Rdale, but HATE the HC??

Tdcman.........loved your veiled innuendos and analysis of everyone's programs. Gee, you must be a soothsayer!

No internal problems at Oakland...........I think "love" is the word most commonly used in reference to Coach Ferg by his players and assistant coaches when asked about playing for him.

Now saying that.......Rankin has done a fantastic job in placing top-notch assistants to coach and keep the kids out. You have to respect all that he has achieved and the empire that he has built. I realize that a winning tradition will draw the athletes in so they can become a part of it. There is no doubt that he is a winning coach with knowledge intact. However, he has had exceptional athletes handed to him and powerful people behind him that have enabled him to have the success without having to deal with the things that make others sweat. And the surrounding schools have to suffer because of it.

Expect to see some changing of the guard...................Harry Gill is Smyrna all the way and you will see Smyrna becoming the dominant school in due time. Just sit back and watch.....but then Rankin already sees the writing on the wall and will jump ship way before that happens with all his rings intact. His ego would never let him remain at Rdale and actually have to rebuild the good-old fashioned way.

Region, I can't say I have even a clue as to what's going on in the 'Boro with politics because I'm new to the area. I just know I don't believe a system should be victim of it. That's not accusing any school in our area of doing so. I'm just agreeing that hardwork and leadership will get you where you want to go.

Example

My oldest daughter was not what I consider an athlete. She wanted to pitch. She had a whole staff of pitchers older than her at her high school and her future looked bleak to say the least. Enter a coach that wanted to win and it did not matter who you were or what your politics were. She worked hard, didn't complain to anyone, not even her coach or the administration. She worked hard enough till she couldn't be overlooked anymore. She went from bench warmer to starting pitcher because of dedication and believing in doing the right thing. Now, with that said, not all stories end this way but when you have a system that's not scared to play the best kids, have the best coaches and a ton of excitement, it's hard to fail. I'm sure those very things are in place at the schools in the 'Boro. Maybe at different levels but dynasty's live and die. Soon, the other schools will either catch up or pass the 'Dale. It's a matter of life cycle for that to happen. Let's hope that the bickering ceases and that the schools of the 'Boro somehow manage a truce. I don't expect concessions of principal but if all are fighting for the better education of our kids and willing to focus on being a great representative by focusing on the task at hand without being distracted, we all will be better for it.

Sure, there may be problems, but handle them outside of the eyes of the kids. I believe in not giving my kids ANY excuses to not succeed. Believe me, they all look for excuses. thumb

Hey region,

I don't think I said anything to dis Coach Ferg. What I was trying to say is that he didn't come into a very good situation. The program was at an all-time low when he took over. He's got the kids back out and that is the first step. Sorry if I didn't come across clearly.

On the other hand, I just don't buy in to all the other junk. When you look at Riverdale you just don't see all those 'specimens' you would see if you were being handed a bunch of football greats. Riverdale's center is 195 pounds soaking wet, 3 other OL are under 230 lbs. Two of the DL are under 200 lbs. These aren't prototype football players. What they are is the very best players they can be with what God gave them. The program, and their commitment to the program, did that.

If I was recruiting, I think I would get some great big strong linemen.

Guest region4fan

ERA...trust me I know about hard work leading to champion status . I am not making excuses for Oakland , although it may appear that way to you.

I am simply pointing that Rdale has had huge numbers at their school to pick and choose their athletes. At one time they had 2800 kids in their school. Even when Blackman was built , to ease their overcrowding, they still had close to 2400 in the school. Not only did Oakland lose kids to Blackman as well, but when we were trying to regroup from that...they build Siegel 3 miles down the road and take what we had built back up. Blackman also lost some kids to Siegel too. Riverdale is still the largest school in the county...............they are the biggest and we are the smallest and there just isnt any coincidence in that. That was deliberate.

That being said..........Oakland will regroup and become a force to be reckoned with. Just like back in 98 when we won the state and in 99 when we went to the semis.( I might add that rdale had won the state the year before and had loads of talent coming back in 98!) We didn't catch any breaks then from TPTB or have any political backers......just busted our tails with sweat, hard work, and tears. Our kids believed and fought thru much adversity.My son was a part of that championship bunch. I don't have any children that go to Oakland......simply no physical ties to the school anymore. In fact, my home is now in the Siegel zone. But I have a strong loyalty to the program that gave my son some of the best days of his life. OHS taught him to be the strong and caring man that he is now. And I will always fight tooth and nail for this school.

Region, in no way do I think you are making excuses. I do think that some of the topics of concern can create excuses for kids playing the game and seeing some of these posts. I believe all on all sides should use more discretionary tactics when posting. Remember who's reading these things. I can tell you that many from a former school affiliation posted some very hateful things about my youngest daughter and my family when we moved to Murfreesboro. All it did was make them look bad for saying it and it possibly will be costing them in court in the very near future. It's not easy explaining to your kids why everyone says such hateful things watching them hurt reading it.

I admire your "Patriotism". You obviously care a great deal about your school and want what's best. Remember, you have one of the finest coaches and finest person in coach Ferguson. Start by talking more about the positives rather than everyone elses negatives. It can only start something very special for your school that your school really deserves. :huh:

Edited by ERA

Shady,

If you go to the movies, you will see stories about aliens and Spider-Man and little girls whose heads spin all the way around.

Who writes those things about Riverdale? Those who are jealous and can not beat them on the field. Just because someone writes it, don't make it so, unless you are talking about the Bible. CoachT ain't the Bible.

Guest region4fan

Our players don't make excuses. They don't point fingers or blame others. They are a close-knit family. They don't need me to motivate them as they can do that themselves.

I appreciate what you are trying to tell me, ERA. However, all of this is common knowledge in the Boro.Kids at all of the schools know this/ They have teammates that leave and go to the other school. I don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that when one kid lives on a certain street and is zoned for one school and his neighbor 3 doors down in the same zone goes to another....that there is something rotten going on. One starts for the prestigious school who is state ranked instead of the school he is zoned for,the other goes to the school he is zoned for and is 3rd string. ( This actually happened .....the one kid has a ring and the other doesn't.) Guess which one went where.

That point being addressed, I want to tell you that my usual focus is on promoting my Boys at Oakland. If you search my posts, you will see that 90% of my 3,000 plus posts are finding all the good things about the program and the school. The kids know where my heart is.