Region 4 pick'em contest

GWAVE1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont worry about that too much, much to the dismay of the folks over at riverdale, riverdale will eventually  hit the snide and struggle, these things run in cycles, just worry about your own team and you will be fine

825372757[/snapback]

Agreed. Wish Oakland much success. You have a young team and that makes it hard to compete. With only 4 seniors in your lineup, your players are having to compete against teams with a lot more experience not to mention the maturity that comes with each year at this point of a player's life. It is very hard for a team of mostly sophomores and juniors to compete in a world of seniors. There is a lot of difference in the maturity level of a 15-16 year old sophomore and 17-18 year senior.

Best of luck Oakland! Our experience is you are a class act.

Guest region4fan

thanks....we take great pride in being known as a classy team. Our coaches work hard with our kids both physically,mentally, and spiritually.There have been many kids that could have helped us that couldn't follow the discipline and rules.as a result.......they are gone. We want integrity and the rest will come in time.

thanks....we take great pride in being known as a classy team. Our coaches work hard with our kids both physically,mentally, and spiritually.There have been many kids that could have helped us that couldn't follow the discipline and rules.as a result.......they are gone. We want integrity and  the rest will come in time.

825372778[/snapback]

That is what high school athletics is all about. High school athletics is not just winning and losing (although it's great to win). It is about preparing the athletes for the future. It is about teaching respect and teamwork.

In other words . . . high school athletics is a life lesson.

he was probably refering to the 62-0 game from last week. or maybe last year when riverdale did the same to them. couldn't be talking about the other m'boro schools too much class.

i'm not saying riverdale has no class, but you can call the dogs off earlier to prevent a 50+ point victory.

825372717[/snapback]

Is it a matter of too much class, or too little talent right now at some of the other schools. The really classy thing to do would be to play the starters for the first quarter, score 3-4 times, and then put the second team in. Let them take a knee on every snap, because heaven forbid a second or third team player might score a touchdown. couldn't have that could we? How would that make the opposing team feel?

Maybe we should do like T-ball and not keep score. Keep everyone's feelings from getting hurt.

Riverdale has to play the starters, and I wish someone would keep it close enough where they could play the whole game. Come 3rd round of the playoffs, I hope our starters are in good enough condition to play a whole game.

That is what high school athletics is all about.  High school athletics is not just winning and losing (although it's great to win).  It is about preparing the athletes for the future.  It is about teaching respect and teamwork.

In other words . . . high school athletics is a life lesson.

825372784[/snapback]

Here is a life lesson for you - don't expect your competitors in the business world to ease up on you when they have you down. There is no calling off the dogs in the real world.

Good news for the rest of you...yes, Riverdale will have some lean years...just as all teams do. Hopefully, those years will be brought about by improved play from the other region teams, not just because Riverdale slips that far. I want to get to the point where we have 3-4 top ten teams in this region every year. I do not want to see us slip to the point where we have none.

This year's is an exceptional Riverdale team. Next year the other teams will be much better able to compete but Riverdale will likely field another strong team. They just won't quite be on par with this year's bunch.

Against Siegel, the first team offense scored 28 points.

Riverdale[/url]' date='Oct 8 2004 - 03:48 PM']Here is a life lesson for you - don't expect your competitors in the business world to ease up on you when they have you down.  There is no calling off the dogs in the real world.

825372791[/snapback]

You're right. It's called survival of the fittest. With that said, hopefully, coaches see there's more to it than winning or losing. Coaches, along with parents, have the responsibility to teach kids ethical behavior, respect for others, etc.

Once again, high school athletics is a lesson in life.

As far as second teams taking a knee. No one expects a coach to put in a second team and say don't score.

Athletics is a competition. Life is a competition. Athletics should help teach participants how to compete in life.

You're right.  It's called survival of the fittest. With that said, hopefully, coaches see there's more to it than winning or losing.  Coaches, along with parents, have the responsibility to teach kids ethical behavior, respect for others, etc.

Once again, high school athletics is a lesson in life. 

As far as second teams taking a knee.  No one expects a coach to put in a second team and say don't score. 

Athletics is a competition.  Life is a competition.  Athletics should help teach participants how to compete in life.

825372840[/snapback]

Agreed. TDCman just pointed out the the Warrior 1st team offense scored just 28 of the 62 points against Siegel. Less than half. They only played the first team offense for one half. How in the world is that running it up?

I don't like 62-0 games at all. I wish everygame came down to the wire. But the Warriors can not be expected to just sit down because their opponents can not compete.

There are lessons from blowouts, just like from close games. They are just different lessons.

Guest region4fan

You are exactly right. Not playing 4 Quarters in a close game with your starters will kill you in the play-offs. I think Maybe Riverdale experienced that 2 yrs in a row. that is where you have to schedule the tough competition in the non-region games to help your team in case the region teams are not up to par.

You are exactly right. Not playing 4 Quarters in a close game with your starters will kill you in the play-offs. I think Maybe Riverdale experienced that 2 yrs in a row. that is where you have to schedule the tough competition in the non-region games to help your team in case the region teams are not up to par.

825372861[/snapback]

Typically Lincoln County and Dickson County give us all we want in a non-region game. This year is just different. I worry about our reaction to a close game, and I believe one is coming.