Westview vs Union City

westviewcharger31

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen both play....Westview has the best running back I have seen this year in Guy...They have been playing awfully well after two close losses to really good competition to start the season....Union City is coming off a big region win on the road vs Humboldt and have had two weeks to prepare for Westview after an open week this past Friday.....You could say Westview also had two weeks to prepare for UC too because of the cupcake they played Friday night (Ballard Mem.,KY.).For some reason,UC seems to have Westview's number when Martin is supposed to win this game......Could be Union City's biggest rival...Maybe I'm picking this one with my heart instead of my head...Union City in an Upset Special.....24-21 :D

I haven't followed UC's program much since Barnes left. How has the new coach done? Barnes was known to stress disipline and execution and probably had the best defense year in and year out of any team on the region. All facets of his game were well coached. But what about the new guy--can he fill his shoes? The UC/Westview game has for years 30 or more been a rivalry that UC usually won, they got into Westview's head. Is the intimidation still there? Thanks for the info----I look forward to catching up.

I haven't followed UC's program much since Barnes left.  How has the new coach done?    Barnes was known to stress disipline and execution and probably had the best defense year in and year out of any team on the region.  All facets of his game were well coached.  But what about the new guy--can he fill his shoes?  The UC/Westview game has for years 30 or more been a rivalry that UC usually won, they got into Westview's head.  Is the intimidation still there?    Thanks for the info----I look forward to catching up.

825374904[/snapback]

Since Randy Barnes left Union City the program has gone 5-12...Since the state runnerup team of 2000 the team has gone 12-17 with one playoff birth (2001).That was Barnes' last year when he finished 7-5.Personally,I think you can go back and look at a couple things that turned the program.One following Mario Mclrath's junior season in which he was 2A Mr.Football(2000) he ran into trouble with the law..Though this was the first publicized trouble,it was actually the last in a few problems that Mario had...This run-in left Barnes and the coaching staff no recourse but to dismiss Mclrath from the team...That set off a local uproar in the towns' black community that he was being singled out and caused a walk-out by some of the players on the team....Though some did return to the team the damage was already done...I think that experience had alot to do with Barnes' decision to retire following the 2001 season..The other thing was when Barry Duncan and Bobby Williams retired from the coaching staff...Coach Duncan had been with Barnes since he became head coach in 1982..He was widely known to be the best offensive line coach in the area and probably the state....I should know,I played for him in 82 and 83...Union City also had a dip in students that left the team with lower numbers...When Union City had to schedule some new teams 3 yrs ago nobody would play them because of the success they had had.That left them playing JCM and Jax N-S along with 3A Mem Hillcrest along with the Milan's Westview's and Huntingdon's they always played...Union City is poised to start making noise again as they are scheduled to move down to 1A next year...Although they have a chance to make the playoffs this year....Hope that helps some....