How is D-II going to split up?

the muffin man

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notes about my predictions:

1. These figures are based off the TSSAA website (current) and off the 2005-09 classification numbers from June.

2. I assume that St. George's & Brentwood Academy will move up to AAA in football.

3. I only included teams that play football.

4. If anyone knows of any new schools to D2 that I didn't include, or teams leaving D2, please e-mail me at garrettstats@midsouth.rr.com

D2 Overall Enrollment (28)

W Lighthouse Christian Academy FB 70

E David Brainerd Christian School FB 72

W Elliston Baptist Academy 74

E King's Academy FB 85

W Tipton-Rosemark Academy FB 132

W Bishop Byrne High School FB 138

W Lausanne Collegiate School 156

W First Assembly Christian School FB 176

W Memphis Catholic High School FB 180

M St. Andrew's - Sewanee School FB 196

W Southern Baptist Educational Center FB 238

M Ensworth FB 304

M Davidson Academy FB 324

M Brentwood Academy FB 337

M Battle Ground Academy FB 393

W St. Benedict at Auburndale FB 413

E Webb School of Knoxville FB 417

W Harding Academy FB 424

W Evangelical Christian School FB 495

M Pope John Paul II High School FB 500

W St. George's High School FB 508

E Baylor School FB 607

W Briarcrest Christian School FB 627

W Memphis University School FB 784

M Montgomery Bell Academy FB 870

M Father Ryan High School FB 1000

E McCallie School FB 1208

W Christian Brothers High School FB 1722

D2 Enrollment by Region

West (15)

W Harding Academy FB 424

Middle (8)

M Ensworth FB 304

East (5)

E King's Academy FB 85

E Baylor School FB 607

My Football Divisions

D2-A 0-299

E King's Academy FB 85

D2-AA 300-500

M Ensworth FB 304

W Harding Academy FB 424

D2-AAA 501-Up

E Baylor School FB 607

Edited by mhabballfan

Actually, the AA class will only have seven schools, not nine. Davidson Academy did not go D2, and USN does not have American football. Also, St. George's enrollment isn't 508, it's 118! (The moving-up deadline passed, with only Brentwood Academy playing up.) Ensworth certainly wasn't going to be playing up yet, with only freshmen!

http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/20052009enrollments.htm

Also, St. George's enrollment isn't 508, it's 118! (The moving-up deadline passed, with only Brentwood Academy playing up.) Ensworth certainly wasn't going to be playing up yet, with only freshmen!

I based St. George's enrollment on the their current enrollment of 381 9-11 graders and anding 127 for 12th grade. I put them in D2-AAA because there athletic director is telling people that they plan on being in D2-AAA and D2-Large next year.

As for Ensworth, I know nothing about it. All that I know is that they have about 75 9th graders. Some schools (like Lighthouse) do join varsity sports when they have 9th and 10th graders. But you probably know more than I do.

Looks like I was wrong on Davidson Academy, but not sure what the heck the deal is with St. george!

825375693[/snapback]

In my opinion, St. George is the nicest school in West TN. I have been to their campus once and I was amazed in how nice it was. The school is only about 1 mile from Briarcrest. I believe it cost about 15K a year. Last year, they hosted the first round of the D2 West Girls Basketball Region Tournament. They are no joke in athletics to both public and private schools. Here is an article from the Commercial Appeal a couple of weeks ago.

St. George's School seeks tax-exempt bonds for construction

By Tom Bailey Jr.

September 16, 2004

This new school is growing fast, by George.

Enrollment rose 50 percent at St. George's Independent School in Collierville from 253 students last year to 381 this year.

School representatives are scheduled to appear before the Collierville Industrial Development Board tonight seeking tax-exempt municipal bonds.

The private school wants to borrow $10 million at relatively low interest rates to pay for its Phase II expansion.

The work is already in progress, thanks to some temporary financing, school spokesman Sarah Cowan said.

The school is in northwest Collierville, facing the Wolf River bottom woods off Houston Levee.

The $22 million facility opened in 2002 with grades 6 through 9, adding a 10th grade in 2003 and an 11th grade this year. Twelfth-graders come aboard next fall.

Since opening, the school has completed a $3.5 million expansion of the athletic field house, including a second gymnasium, expanded fitness area, wrestling room and added parking.

The current 42,500-square-foot, $10 million expansion is for a second academic wing, more dining space and renovation of the pool.

The original wing forms half of a horseshoe shape, and the second wing will complete the horseshoe, said Bill Taylor, head of schools. A common area that includes the dining hall and library is in the middle.

The new academic wing will include classrooms, labs, and faculty and administrative space.

Conditions are relatively crowded now, but that's not all bad, Taylor said.

"We see this as a tremendous opportunity, actually," he added.

Most, if not all, teachers have to share classrooms.

"We talk about the advantage of sharing space," Taylor said. "It places a great deal of importance on collegiality. . . . Working through the inherent challenge of sharing space."

Next year, the middle school and upper school each will have wings to themselves. That's important because middle and upper school students are at different stages of development, Taylor said.

Under the master plan, the school eventually will build an auditorium, performing arts center, more classrooms, and a stadium with other athletic facilities, Cowan said.

Enrollment rose 50 percent at St. George's Independent School in Collierville from 253 students last year to 381 this year.

The $22 million facility opened in 2002 with grades 6 through 9, adding a 10th grade in 2003 and an 11th grade this year. Twelfth-graders come aboard next fall.

That would explain it--the 381 enrollment figure was actually for all grades, and TSSAA had erroneously taken it as the high school only.

In my opinion, St. George is the nicest school in West TN. I have been to their campus once and I was amazed in how nice it was. The school is only about 1 mile from Briarcrest. I believe it cost about 15K a year. Last year, they hosted the first round of the D2 West Girls Basketball Region Tournament. They are no joke in athletics to both public and private schools. Here is an article from the Commercial Appeal a couple of weeks ago.

It better be a nice campus for how much it costs to go there. It is like 15k and thats to expensive for alot of people, eccpecially me.

I have to add in a reply on the gorgeous campus they have got over there at St. George's. I drive by it every day on my may to and from work and finally had to stop in and take a look. This place is very serious about everyhting they do. It was built right the first time and I am glad to welcome them into our fold.

However, I also have to say that I am more than pleased with the new school at Saint Benedict. It was a huge undertaking for them to complete construction in the time they did and the place looks great. It kind of makes me wish I could go back and repeat high school but then I would have to make it through my first three years of college again and I don't like that idea. My compliments to eveyone at SBA, lets keep up the goodwork and show them that we are the place to be.

I don't see how St. George's can move into D-II AAA next year. They will get destroyed. Their best bet would be to move to D-II AA for the next classification period(4 years) and then move up if they need/want to. Ensworth is in a similar situation, although a couple of years behind, in that this year they are starting with only a freshman class(82 kids, I believe). They will be D-II AA starting next year. I assume they will play a varsity schedule with just 9th and 10th graders, but maybe they will be able to do a JV type thing next year and then varsity in '05. If they go varsity next year it would be rough. I could see them scheduling some really week non-region games(St. Andrews, Zion, etc.) out of necessity. What kind of teams has St. Georges been fielding?

By the way, have you guys seen Ensworth's campus?...Its ridiculous. Their website doesn't do it justice. Talk about doing it right...this place is awesome. They will be a force in a few years. I looked at St. George's website and it looks like they have done a fine job, as well.

Edited by TheBigRedDog

St. Georges does have a nice campus. St. Georges is playing in D-IIA next year then they may move up later on in a few years. They will have a very, very good team in a few years maybe not next year but sure bet they will the next. They are a good team this year but only had 9-11 graders. But a very good team up and coming.