Bearden

bdog3741

You guys have to be the biggest group of whiners I have ever seen. It is always the coach's fault. Not the fact that the kids are less talented. How many state championships does Bearden have? How many Region/District Championships? Bearden is not a powerhouse and probably never will be.

825438711[/snapback]

May not have any state championships or many region/distric champs but when we have a jv team that didnt lose the previous 2 years and then when they hit varsity they go 1-9 something is missing. Not saying that Bearden should be 10-0 but should atleast be .500.

Besides if the only way someone can whine is if they have state championships thats gona mean that very few people can ever complain if their team does bad. If you'll go to http://www.tssaa.org/schdir/records/GetTheRecord.cfm

youll see that most teams in the state dont have a state championship.

2000 Division 1, 2nd Round Playoffs, Class 5A

1999 Division 1, 1st Round Playoffs, Class 5A

1997 Class AAA, First Round State Playoff, Team Runner-up

1997 Division 1, 1st Round Playoffs, Class 5A

1996 Region Class 5A Runner-up

1995 2nd Round, Champions, Class 5A

1995 1st Round Champions, 5A

1995 Region, Class 5A, 4th

1990 District Champions, Class AAA

and no this isnt a great history but its alot better than 1-9

Edited by bdog3741

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the kids today don't want to play for a .500 team though. The ones that are willing to do that are the ones that are out there. The same thing happened at my high school when I was a freshman. We went 6-3 and dominated some teams that come Jr. and Sr. year dominated us. We lost several lineman and our stud RB, because they didn't want to pay the price to be on a .500 team. Today it is too easy for kids to go to Catholic, Webb, CAK, or Grace and be instant players and not have to pay the dues and go .500 or they will just simply quit and go home after school. It is sad, but I believe that is what is happening more and more now days. Kids want instant gratification. If you can't promise them a Region Championship then they have better things to do. This happens especially at a place like Bearden, where the only true community spirit is the parents, players, and some of the school. Bearden and a lot of big city schools, lack that community support. Not many kids in West Knox grow up dying to be a Bearden Bulldog, like they do to be a Maryville Rebel or Oak Ridge Wildcat.

A lot of the kids today don't want to play for a .500 team though. The ones that are willing to do that are the ones that are out there. The same thing happened at my high school when I was a freshman. We went 6-3 and dominated some teams that come Jr. and Sr. year dominated us. We lost several lineman and our stud RB, because they didn't want to pay the price to be on a .500 team. Today it is too easy for kids to go to Catholic, Webb, CAK, or Grace and be instant players and not have to pay the dues and go .500 or they will just simply quit and go home after school. It is sad, but I believe that is what is happening more and more now days. Kids want instant gratification. If you can't promise them a Region Championship then they have better things to do. This happens especially at a place like Bearden, where the only true community spirit is the parents, players, and some of the school. Bearden and a lot of big city schools, lack that community support. Not many kids in West Knox grow up dying to be a Bearden Bulldog, like they do to be a Maryville Rebel or Oak Ridge Wildcat.

825438760[/snapback]

Now with that i can agree with you on. That is one of my arguements is that if we keep at 1-9 there will be very few kids stay around. If were at .500 and close in the games we lose or even go 6 or 7 wins then you start to get the kids to come out and stay out.

From what I hear, he booster club needs to be reigned in. Getting involved in speed training and the off season conditioning program? Isn't that the job of the coaches? Stick with fundraising and let the coaches, coach. As for the survey, the principal is sending out to boosters, man what a lack of guts. When you let parents think they are running the show, you've got trouble.

From what I hear, he booster club needs to be reigned in.  Getting involved in speed training and the off season conditioning program?  Isn't that the job of the coaches?  Stick with fundraising and let the coaches, coach.  As for the survey, the principal is sending out to boosters, man what a lack of guts.  When you let parents think they are running the show, you've got trouble.

825438777[/snapback]

The Head coach asked the booster club to pay for speed training in the summer. He wanted the booster to pay for it last year but he tried to "sign up" (for lack of a better term to) to late.

As for the parents, when we see kids laying around (litteraly) waiting on their turn to do sprints, Kids throwing helments, coaches telling kids to do something or their will be sprints and then not following through with it untill the last 2 weeks of the season, even though telling them every week, and numerous other things obivious to any one who can atleast tell who the qb is on the field, as parents we feel that there is something wrong with the program. Yes it is the players doing several of these things but isnt the coaches susposed to be in control over them? and if so shouldnt they take control of this situatuion? Then as parents we try to talk to coach about different things and get told "wait here ill be back in a minute" and he never returns. Then try to email Principle to talk and response we get is a survey. Your right there is a lack of guts somewhere from the staff on up the line. The booster club (speakin for myself) dont want to call plays or run the program, we want someone even if it is the present guy, to take charge and run this program and have some character and lead our kids not just let them do what they want. If someone would do that we may not win 10 games but we'll sure win more than 1.

If your involvement is only to raise money, I apologize. And if the things are happening as you say they are, then the principal needs to demand changes on the part of the coaching staff. But never.... never should the coaches or administration leave the impression with boosters that they are running the program. From what I saw on film, this past season, of Bearden, I didn't think I saw a lot of speed or talent. It's not always coaching, sometimes you just don't have the kids to win.

From what I hear, he booster club needs to be reigned in.  Getting involved in speed training and the off season conditioning program?  Isn't that the job of the coaches?  Stick with fundraising and let the coaches, coach.  As for the survey, the principal is sending out to boosters, man what a lack of guts.  When you let parents think they are running the show, you've got trouble.

825438777[/snapback]

Bearden may not be a powerhouse but in the past htey have been very competitive and seemed tobe in teh playoff hunt year after year...it seems tht when coach young left th program started to suffer...speed training is good but there are other things a team can do to get better...

teh paretns should let teh coaches doteh coaching...teh boosters club is just that...a group to helop boost the team financially...whenparents get too involved in teh coaching bad things tend to happen...I understand why teh parents are upset...things at Bearden seem to be in turmoil righr now...work to replace your coach if that is what you feel teh need to do, but remember if teh coach is still there after you try toget rid of him hard feelings will become even more evident...it is good if a young man can play for his coach, but if he doesnt like th coach the young man must play for teh love of the game...

If your involvement is only to raise money, I apologize.  And if the things are happening as you say they are, then the principal needs to demand changes on the part of the coaching staff.  But never.... never should the coaches or administration leave the impression with boosters that they are running the program.  From what I saw on film, this past season, of Bearden, I didn't think I saw a lot of speed or talent.  It's not always coaching, sometimes you just don't have the kids to win.

825438869[/snapback]

This is so true...every school does not recruit players...sometimes abiding bythe rules hurts when other schools do not abide by them...

If your involvement is only to raise money, I apologize.  And if the things are happening as you say they are, then the principal needs to demand changes on the part of the coaching staff.  But never.... never should the coaches or administration leave the impression with boosters that they are running the program.  From what I saw on film, this past season, of Bearden, I didn't think I saw a lot of speed or talent.  It's not always coaching, sometimes you just don't have the kids to win.

825438869[/snapback]

If your comparing us to db your right. we dont have the talent to beat them. Compare us to Karns, Campbell Co. South Doyle, Sevier Co this year, we are compatable with them.

I realize that Jv isnt varsity but when the varsity now was jv they didnt lose but 1 game in 2 years i believe and none season before last. These kids are still here so there must be some talent somewhere. Like i said aleast better than 1-9

Peeblee...your obsession with AC is gonna kill you someday. Let it go...the present coaching staff has stopped the bleeding with their record breaking season. I understand that you need to be able to blame someone for your losing record. But you need to let it rest, that way people might forget you were even involved in coaching, and that all your talent ran off to AC.

Peeblee...your obsession with AC is gonna kill you someday.  Let it go...the present coaching staff has stopped the bleeding with their record breaking season. I understand that you need to be able to blame someone for your losing record.  But you need to let it rest, that way people might forget you were even involved in coaching, and that all your talent ran off to AC.

825438945[/snapback]

oskie...I am sorry that you took it that way...I have backed off teh AC bashing...pther schools recruit too...a previous thread suggested that Bearden players go elsewhere...htat was what I am alluding to...