Jeff Co. Patriots

HEATHHELTON

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boys team will stuggle this year, we lost some very talented players from last year. The boys team should have been alot better than they were, I can`t imagine how of team they could have had with a good coach. Tryouts were a sham from what I hear, Jefferson Co has alot of talented b-ball players but we rarely have a good boys team. Some good players didn`t even try out, and some of the good ones who did tryout didn`t make the team. I was told that coach Sinard have already picked his team even before tryouts, asking players for their shoe size before they even tried out. This years group does have some talented players, Deering should have a breakout season now that he's the star. Shane Acuff is back to playing for the school, and will be a force down low. Steven Soloman is another guy who we have back from last year, and should start this year. I believe Chris is playing this year, and I expect Chris to get some major PT. Justin Blair will be the other big for the Patriots and will have to play smart b-ball for us to do well. While the Patriots will have their problems this year, I`ll still try to make it out for at least a few games.

Actually, the article asked why JCHS never produced Division I talent out of the boy's program. It didn't state the kid in question was Division I talent at all. It all started when that kid played the previous year with the team and all summer, then was cut at tryouts in favor of some kids off of the football team who most locals know were not nearly as good as the kid who was cut.

This seems to be a year in and year out problem with the boy's program at JCHS and they clearly did it again this year. Guys like Shiverdecker, who is an outstanding football prospect, made the team and guys like John Huskey, who is an outstanding basketball player, were cut.

Other kids don't even try out for the program. Some because they play as Freshmen, then are cut at Sophomores and then the program wants them to come back out as Juniors. You can't blame a kid for tiring of that merry go round system which is used by JCHS. It's what happened to the kid whose parent wrote the article.

While the girl's program at JCHS is in full swing, the boy's seem to be stuck in this same perpetual rut every year. I certainly hope myself and the multitude of others who feel the same way are proven wrong this year but by the looks of tryouts, it doesn't look promising.

Whether the person who wrote the article was just the disgruntled parent of a kid that didn't make it or not, you can't refute the fact that the boy's program is, in fact, not producing college talent. The question of why these kids are being cut and/or not going out is legitimate.

I wish Coach Sinard and the boy's program all the best but they need to stop this cycle of putting a player on the team, cutting them the next year, asking them to come out the following year, etc etc.....that they seem stuck in. Pick your players and develop them over four years, don't ask them to play a year, sit a year. Also, don't pick players because of who they are, pick the best players. The program is what matters, not the kid's last name.

Edited by pipdad

Actually, the article asked why JCHS never produced Division I talent out of the boy's program.  It didn't state the kid in question was Division I talent at all.  It all started when that kid played the previous year with the team and all summer, then was cut at tryouts in favor of some kids off of the football team who most locals know were not nearly as good as the kid who was cut.

This seems to be a year in and year out problem with the boy's program at JCHS and they clearly did it again this year.  Guys like Shiverdecker, who is an outstanding football prospect, made the team and guys like John Huskey, who is an outstanding basketball player, were cut.

Other kids don't even try out for the program.  Some because they play as Freshmen, then are cut at Sophomores and then the program wants them to come back out as Juniors.  You can't blame a kid for tiring of that merry go round system which is used by JCHS.  It's what happened to the kid whose parent wrote the article.

While the girl's program at JCHS is in full swing, the boy's seem to be stuck in this same perpetual rut every year.  I certainly hope myself and the multitude of others who feel the same way are proven wrong this year but by the looks of tryouts, it doesn't look promising.

Whether the person who wrote the article was just the disgruntled parent of a kid that didn't make it or not, you can't refute the fact that the boy's program is, in fact, not producing college talent.  The question of why these kids are being cut and/or not going out is legitimate.

I wish Coach Sinard and the boy's program all the best but they need to stop this cycle of putting a player on the team, cutting them the next year, asking them to come out the following year, etc etc.....that they seem stuck in.  Pick your players and develop them over four years, don't ask them to play a year, sit a year.  Also, don't pick players because of who they are, pick the best players.  The program is what matters, not the kid's last name.

825418426[/snapback]

With all due respect, Chris Shiverdecker is a heck of a b-ball player as well as a great football player. Coach Sinard has made a habit of taking kids their freshman and sophmore years then cutting them their junior year to take another sophmore. 10 sophmores 2 juniors and 4 seniors make up this years team, its good that we`re developing good young talent but we have to take more upperclassmen. Boys b-ball is one of the few sports that Jeff Co doesn`t compete for the top spot every year, its a shame too because the school is full of talented ball players.

Exactly

825419980[/snapback]

It is a shame that JCHS has no division 1 BBall talent but the truth is that there is no division 1 caliber players at the HS and it has been sometime since there has been one. If you want to play division 1 BBall you better practice everyday and not wait for a school program to produce you because it will never happen for you. Last years team had three players that could have played college basketball somewhere but Jennings chose Vandy, Brown chose CNC both playing football, and Clement chose to become a doctor. Many fine young men have came through the boys BBall program that have went on to be successful in life and isn't that what it is important.