Best players in TN to never "make it"

gomab2

Who are the best players in TN HS hoops history to never "make it" past the HS level??? Who are these phenoms who went wayword after HS and couldn't get on the right paths???

The two players that come to my mind as the best to never make it are:

-DeMarco Polk, Stratford HS, Class of 2002, AAA Mr. Basketball

-Taurean Moy, BTW HS, Class of 2001, AA Mr. Basketball

Polk was an absolute phenom. A 6'0 combo guard, he could do it all: he had handles, defense, a streaky outside shot, a great mid-range, game, unbelievable hops, and a toughness on the court that was tough to match. He led Stratford to the State's Final 4 in AAA. Polk had offers from Clemson and Miss State, among others, but didn't have the grades, and had to go Juco, where he has bounced around without latching on...

Moy, out of Memphis, was one of the better scorers in TN HS hoops history, as evident by his 83 point game (!!!), which included 23 threes (!!!)... Moy also bounced around the Juco ranks, and his whereabouts are currently unknown to me...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GoMab,

You are so right, it is a shame for Moy and DeMarco to not be playing anywhere... both were amazing players and have the high school credentials to prove it. However, here is a follow up question for these types of athletes.... Is it a lack of love for the game or burn out or is it something else?

To me, if a player has a TRUE love or a passion for the game of basketball, then he/she will do whatever it takes to continue that dream. This includes getting your grades up in order to play at the next level. If a player claims to love the game and does not do what it takes to get on the court, then I think that it shows a complete lack of discipline.

Now I am not sure if they could have been "stars" at a major D1 school, but they definitely could have had an impact coming off the bench or in specific roles, and I have no doubt that they could have been stars in a conference such as the Sun Belt,or A-Sun.

And even if they had to go to a NAIA school, so what? The important thing is that their higher education is getting paid for!

I apologize if I come across somewhat harsh, I just don't understand how talent like DeMarco and Moy's could become wasted at the next level.

Harris Walker Brainerd High school 1998 class AA Mr. Basketball

Was compared to Allen Iverson by many college scouts because of his quickness ability to score at will and leaping ability, Bob Gibbons had him rated as a national top five point guard coming out of Hargrave Military academy was kicked off of Ut's teams in Buzz Petersons first year as coach transferred to UTC then flunked out very unfortunate

Tim Cole from Memphis Northside was a superstar there, a superstar (first-team All-America) in JUCO, and while I forget the chain of events leading to it, he ended up declaring for the NBA draft and not getting picked, costing him his amateur status.

Snap Hunter was disappointing too, though he did get four years of college ball eventually and is playing in the NBDL. He was an NBA talent that couldn't stay eligible.

When people hear Giles County they think Tyler Smith ,2002-2003 state champions.Not to take anything away from the 02,03 team ,but in the 90,91 season Giles County had two players that stood out in my mind John Jenkins who played at Austin Peay and Kyle Freeman who played at Clemson for a season i think.The 90,91 TEAM was as good or even better than the 02,03 TEAM. But unlike the 02,03 TEAM the 90,91 TEAM was beat in a three over time thriller by an under sized David Lipscomb team in the sub-state game.

Jermaine Sheppard at Clinton in about 97'-98'. All-American in football and All-State in basketball i believe. Ohio State offered him a scholarship to play football and basketball for them but i dont think he had the grades or met the ACT scores to get in. Im not sure where he ended up going to college or even if he went to college.