Best players in TN to never "make it"

gomab2

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jermaine Sheppard at Clinton in about 97'-98'. All-American in football and All-State in basketball i believe. Ohio State offered him a scholarship to play football and basketball for them but i dont think he had the grades or met the ACT scores to get in. Im not sure where he ended up going to college or even if he went to college.

825430854[/snapback]

The whole team from 98-99 were very talented. I remember playing againist Jermaine in middle and high school..They had a PG and big hawaiian post player that year as well..Did any of them play college ball?

The point guard was Dedrick Dye who played At D1 Wagner College where he was a three time academic all-american and all-conference his junior and senior year. He is the school's all-time leading three point shooter. He played professionally in Germany last year and is playing in Portugal this year. The post was Toree Morris who played at Pittsburgh where he was a three year letterman.

The point guard was Dedrick Dye who played At D1 Wagner College where he was a three time academic all-american and all-conference his junior and senior year.  He is the school's all-time leading three point shooter.  He played professionally in Germany last year and is playing in Portugal this year.  The post was Toree Morris who played at Pittsburgh where he was a three year letterman.

825431688[/snapback]

tim cooper and jay davis also russell ware

The point guard was Dedrick Dye who played At D1 Wagner College where he was a three time academic all-american and all-conference his junior and senior year.  He is the school's all-time leading three point shooter.  He played professionally in Germany last year and is playing in Portugal this year.  The post was Toree Morris who played at Pittsburgh where he was a three year letterman.

825431688[/snapback]

Chase Runyan of McMinn Central 6'4 forward that played from 1999-2002 great ball player.

Johnny Hayes of Polk County 5'11 guard that could do some good scoring went to college on a biking scholarship in Colorado

There's no question about it that Chris Gordon out of Santa Fe High School has to up high on the list of players that never "made it." He graduated in 2002 and led his team to the Sub-State where they lost to Ezell Harding. What a player! He's probably the best point guard that I've ever seen in the high school ranks. I always wondered why college coaches weren't lining up to give him a scholarship.

Edited by DickieV

Mike Walker 6-5 PG from McNairy Central in the late 80's. Posted triple doubles v. Penny Hardaway in AAU wins over 17 and 19 national champs. Went to Northeast CC in Mississippi, but couldn't make the grades. Could have been an all star in the NBA, no exaggeration.

825431426[/snapback]

You can't talk about Mike without talkin about his brothers, Neal and Kenny.

Kenny in my opinion was the best never to make it because he was killed in a car accident his senior year this guy was so good the University of Louisville sent a reaf to his funeral. and Neal was Just a freak! they called this guy Neal "Sky" Walker. all three could have made it to the league.

You can't talk about Mike without talkin about his brothers, Neal and Kenny.

Kenny in my opinion was the best never to make it because he was killed in a car accident his senior year this guy was so good the University of Louisville sent a reaf to his funeral. and Neal was Just a freak! they called this guy Neal "Sky" Walker. all three could have made it to the league.

825446251[/snapback]

There was this cat that used to play for Fulton, back in about 1991-1993. His name was Ivan Roper. This guy was strong, athletic and could legitimately shoot the ball from the hash. I remember thinking that he was just a phenom. I heard that he hung with the wrong crowd and ended up getting his hand shot off in a drug related incident. I remember thinking how tragic that was.

Another guy that I saw play while I was playing in college was Russell Ware. He played at Cleveland on the same team that Yarbrough played on. I saw a regional game that they played in Red Bank. Yarbrough was Mr. All-American this and that, but if I was choosing teams, Ware would have been my first pick. He could shoot the eyes out and he moved faster than many DI guards that I played against. I thought he would for sure be a brilliant college player, but I heard that his grades just would not allow him to stay in school. He was the real deal though.

There is a legend of a guy from Cheatham County that graduated in 1995, I think his name was Grant Gibbs. He was an offensive wizard but boy did he hate defense, he didn't like to pass much either but he could put some points on the board. He holds the school record for scoring and points in a game (45). I think he played a couple of years at Aquanis before transferring to Tennessee. Jerry Green asked him to walk on but I don't think it interested him much. I witnessed with my own two eyes a pick up game with the basketball team. He was on my team along with Ron Slay, Vegas Davis, and Tamika Catchings and on the opposing team was Tony Harris, Isaiah Victor, Del Baker, and Ace Clements. I was busy getting schooled by Tony Harris on one end but on the other this Gibbs guy was wearing it out. Ron Slay was talking smack as usual to Del Baker who was trying to guard Gibbs. Slay just kept talking, I just kept getting Gibbs the ball, and he just kept scoring. Baker quit in the middle of the game and Victor slid over to attempt to guard Gibbs. Victor couldn't hold him either but at least he wasn't in tears as Baker appeared to be when he quit.

There is a legend of a guy from Cheatham County that graduated in 1995, I think his name was Grant Gibbs.  He was an offensive wizard but boy did he hate defense, he didn't like to pass much either but he could put some points on the board.  He holds the school record for scoring and points in a game (45).  I think he played a couple of years at Aquanis before transferring to Tennessee.  Jerry Green asked him to walk on but I don't think it interested him much.  I witnessed with my own two eyes a pick up game with the basketball team.  He was on my team along with Ron Slay, Vegas Davis, and Tamika Catchings and on the opposing team was Tony Harris, Isaiah Victor, Del Baker, and Ace Clements.  I was busy getting schooled by Tony Harris on one end but on the other this Gibbs guy was wearing it out.  Ron Slay was talking smack as usual to Del Baker who was trying to guard Gibbs.  Slay just kept talking, I just kept getting Gibbs the ball, and he just kept scoring.  Baker quit in the middle of the game and Victor slid over to attempt to guard Gibbs.  Victor couldn't hold him either but at least he wasn't in tears as Baker appeared to be when he quit.

825446413[/snapback]

Tell "the gobbler" one of his old buddies from his days of living in Nashville says hello. Sounds like he still has range...