Bearden Bulldogs Get new Coach!

rigger101

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

talked to the new coach at the rules meeting. Very nice gentleman. Should be a good fit for the Bearden program. As far as Coach Brown, he was a volunteer coach who gave his time and energy for $0.00. He was very intense and expected a lot from all his wrestlers. I didn't always agree with his methods, but most people don't agree with mine either! As far as the way he dressed, he was/is a bodybuilder, and bodybuilders like to show off their muscles. So what?! Do we now have a "dress code" that we coaches have to adhere to?

As far as the Union Co. coach, yes that is Benny Gray who wears overalls and a "aussie" hat. He too is a volunteer coach. Benny helped start the program at Union Co. and has put endless hours and personal $ into it. He had a wrestler a few years back that made it to state, but didn't have the money to get a motel room or for food. Benny made sure, on his own, that this kid had a motel room and food to eat during the tournament. Additionally, Benny is probably one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Also, he is an AAU referee. A couple of years ago he ref'd one of our AAU State tournaments and wouldn't accept any money for it. He said to put it towards our program. I believe he is a preacher also.

Before we get carried away trying to make fun of how these individuals dress, let's first try to take into account what kind of person they are, and what they have tried to GIVE to their respective programs. Remember, without volunteer coaches, several schools wouldn't have a wrestling program. Most of us don't do it for $, as most paid coaches don't, we do it because we have a passion for teaching kids and we love the sport.

825428602[/snapback]

:lol: Great post with great passion!

I truly enjoy reading these posts, yet I try to stay limited on what I respond to or not. This I could not pass.

Benny Gray started the Union County wrestling team from scratch in 1999. I joined him in helping coach these guys during the second year. What RCPATRIOT said is 100% true. When this program was started, Benny paid for a wrestling mat, singlets, uniforms, motel rooms, meals, etc. all out of his own pocket. From my experience there are not many people in this world who would do something like that. In fact, he is the only one I know. He has a huge heart, and loves these kids.

I owe a whole lot to Benny Gray. He has helped me out when I was in need. I probably wouldn't be coaching wrestling if he never gave me a chance. I respect him very much. I have been with this team for four years now. We have had many ups and downs, as any team would when you start a program in an area that has zero clue what wrestling is. As for the kids and paretns from Union County goes, I would not trade a single one. Yes, they are "country". But I commend what these wrestlers go through. Everyday we fold up cafeteria tables, bring the mats from the gym, unroll them, practice, roll them back up, take them back to the gym, and unfold all of the cafeteria tables. We have never had a full team, yet the kids that are here are so dedicated and work so hard. These parents are great. They are very supportive, and they are learning as their kids do.

All in all, coaching at Union County has been the best experience of my life. I am proud to be a part of this team.

Jason Moorman

Union County Wrestling Coach

No offense to Coach Brown, he was a pretty good Coach, and quite large. I would love to see Farragut vs. Bearden in a dual, they play in everything else, why not Wrestling? The Farragut coaches should talk to this new Bearden coach and see if they could work that out. More students would sure come to the matches if it were Bearden and Farragut. O'Hearn should do very well this year, real athletic, does he play any other sports?

Benny is a very special person, Hello Hoooney. I had the privilege of officiating for him as a wrestler, parent- Benji-, and coach. He has helped wrestling tremendously in the Knoxville area. I am extremely proud to call him "friend".

I'm not sure if he is a preacher, but he is a man of God. He loves kids and he has expressed that in time and money.

Clint Abbott- a friend of Benny Gray

Everyday we fold up cafeteria tables, bring the mats from the gym, unroll them, practice, roll them back up, take them back to the gym, and unfold all of the cafeteria tables. 

825428846[/snapback]

Coach Moorman, I know the feeling. We practiced for 3 years in the cafeteria when I was in high school. We had to move tables and replace them every day. It made us appreciated being on the team even more. Keep up the good work out there. We will see you at the Bradley Inv. Heck, I have even suggested to Coach Holmes that we get some overalls for our coaching staff. Oakland used to do the same thing. It really made the staff stand out.

Edited by CoachDelgado

No offense to Coach Brown, he was a pretty good Coach, and quite large.  I would love to see Farragut vs. Bearden in a dual, they play in everything else, why not Wrestling? The Farragut coaches should talk to this new Bearden coach and see if they could work that out.  More students would sure come to the matches if it were Bearden and Farragut. O'Hearn should do very well this year, real athletic, does he play any other sports?

825428956[/snapback]

I was wondering the same thing. Why isn't Farragut and Bearden going at it this year. I think we have some openings in some of our duals.

He runs Cross Country! Remind U of any other West Knoxville 152lbs in the past?