Worst Offical Call

timbertalker

Another situation was 3rd down and six Ripley handed the ball to the fullback he ran for about eight when he met a host of Kingsbury players and they shoved him back before the whistle blew and they spotted the ball six yards back . shouldn't that be forward progress.

I totally believe the officals were scared of the Kingsbury coaches.

Edited by timbertalker

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to say that I am very proud of the Ripley Tigers they played well all year . the defense really stepped up compared to the start of the season and to all the seniors that will be gone good luck in everything you do, ya'll done a good job no one expected Ripley to go as far as they did , because of the class that had left us previous we were young and had very little experience

timbertalker, addictedtosports, et. al.,

THIS WAS NOT A BLOWN CALL!  IT WAS THE PROPER CALL!!!

Know your rules before you criticize.  Any time the ball is fumbled "forward", the ball cannot be advanced by the fumbling team.  Giving Ripley a TD in this situation would have been "advancing" the ball from the spot of the foul.

The best you could have hoped for would be to have the ball spotted at the spot of the fumble.  But, I believe in high school football....if it is fumbled into the end zone, it results in a touchback for the defense no matter who recovers or if it goes out of bounds.

THAT IS THE RULE!  LOOK IT UP!!!

825433557[/snapback]

If this is the rule than South Side should have beat Liberty this year. A liberty player caught a pass on the 10 and was hit, which knocked the ball loose. The ball rolled forward into the endzone, where a Liberty player fell on it resulting in a TD for Liberty. This late score put liberty up by three with little left in the game and SS lost.

But, bad calls happen in every game. And believe it or not they go both ways. It is just really devastating when a bad call determines the outcome of a game.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!

See if this makes it any clearer for all you smart football people. It was 4th and goal on the five. Ripley QB is hit in the pocket and makes a move to the endzone. He, knowing there wasn't a chance, through the ball out of the pile while he was in the air. The ball was thrown back behind him, therefore that's a lateral if i'm not mistaken. But the ball was kicked by a Kingsbury player and then roled into the endzone where the Ripley reciever recovered the ball. Now maybe that'll give you a little description on how it all happened because I was on the field. But no one ever expected us to go this far and I can't wait for next year.

Another situation was 3rd down and six Ripley handed the ball to the fullback he ran for about eight when he met a host of Kingsbury players and they shoved him back before the whistle blew and they spotted the ball six yards back . shouldn't that be forward progress.

I totally believe the officals were scared of the Kingsbury coaches.

825433599[/snapback]

Dude....If you think the refs were scared away from the Kingsbury campus,just think how they would be at Kingsbury....Back in the early 90's..Union City played Kingsbury at Kingsbury in a sub-state Basketball game..UC was ranked number 1 in the state and defending state champions...Kingsbury was ranked number 2 in the state and was something like 35-1...I was scared for my life...LOL...That place was a jungle...Early in the game UC was getting some calls go their way,but after a particularly iffy call,the Kingsbury FANS got on the floor yelling at the refs...I personally heard a fan tell a ref if he didn't start calling fouls on UC he wasn't going to make it home...And that was back when Howard Johnson was Kingsbury's coach...He was firey enough as it was...Suffice it to say Kingsbury got every call from then on and went on to win the state championship that year...Refs do get intimidated by their surroundings..But they made the right call on the fumble....

I went to the Ripley game and was pulling for Ripley. I hate to admit it but it was the proper call. I believe that Mcadams fumbled intentionally which was smart but not legal they will give it to you at the spot of the fumble. I still think coach mcadams did a great job this year with a young team.

As far as the covington game I had some people that went there also. They said that Covington did like they always do and held or blocked in the back with their wingbacks and it just finally got called. The announcers on 93.5 acted like it was the end of the world that all those penalties were going against the chargers. I am just glad that the officials finally got the nerve to call it on the mighty chargers.

Game to watch this week.....Milan at Carver

I am not familiar with any of these teams, but I would like to set the record straight concerning some of the rules.

It is important to understand that some of the rules regarding fumbles are different at the high school, college and professional levels. Under National Federation rules (which Tennessee schools play), there are no restrictions on when a player can recover a fumble. As long as it is a fumble (and not a forward pass or illegal batting of the ball), a fumble forward on fourth down can be recovered by a member of the offense for a first down and/or advanced by either team. The rule is different at the college and professional levels. An illegal forward pass or illegal batting of the ball would be a penalty. An illegal forward pass is a loss of down penalty; illegal batting does not result in a loss of down.

I would not comment on specific play situations without seeing them, but this is the rule in high school.

timbertalker, addictedtosports, et. al.,

THIS WAS NOT A BLOWN CALL!  IT WAS THE PROPER CALL!!!

Know your rules before you criticize.  Any time the ball is fumbled "forward", the ball cannot be advanced by the fumbling team.  Giving Ripley a TD in this situation would have been "advancing" the ball from the spot of the foul.

The best you could have hoped for would be to have the ball spotted at the spot of the fumble.  But, I believe in high school football....if it is fumbled into the end zone, it results in a touchback for the defense no matter who recovers or if it goes out of bounds.

THAT IS THE RULE!  LOOK IT UP!!!

825433557[/snapback]

FBMAN took the word right out of my mouth. He is dead on. Next FatCat will tell you that breaking the huddle with 12 is illegal. Good post FBMAN.

Edited by volref