Wartburg Basketball

b_ball_king

Alright folks enough talk about Oneida, Temple, Rockwood, and Cosby. Lets talk about this team nobody EVER wants to give credit to, WARTBURG. This team has done nothing but prove theirselves over these last couple of years and nobody still has give them any credit . I mean come on folks sometimes you have to give credit where credit is do. You have all of these people that get on here and talk about Oneida, Temple, Rockwood, and Cosby. I mean don't get me wrong or anything these teams are good, but let me tell you all something none of these teams are any better than WARTBURG. Yes you all might say that Temple or Cosby would kill Wartburg, but both of these teams have already played Wartburg.

During this summer Temple did defeat Wartburg, but by only 7. Wartburg just scrimmaged Cosby this past week and it ended in a tie 41-41. Oh yeah I almost forgot Wartburg upset Lenior City the same night 56-49. This Wartburg team should not be tooken for granted because if teams do take this team for granted their going to WISH they wouldn't have because if they do it will bite them right in their hind parts. I mean listen folks this team is stacked and they are filled with fantastic players. For starters you have the shooter Adam Vespie, then you have the big man who is unstoppable inside Jason Melton, then you have Brent Hamby one of the fastest players in Morgan County this kid loves the back door cuts and he can shoot the 3 ball, then you have Jerriel Inman this guy loves the three ball and posts up like a mad man, NOW we come to a young man who I think and who many others think is the BEST over all player on this team his name is JEREMY SHANNON there is no doubt in mind he is the BEST point guard on this team and probably one of the BEST in East Tennessee. I would like to call this young man the FREAK because he is everywhere on the court, I mean he makes Steals, he can SHOOT the lights out and to be truly honest with you if there was only a few seconds on the clock I would want the Ball in this kids hands because trust me i've seen this kid when a lot of ballgames off of a last second shot what can I say I think the kid is Clutch, anyways back to what this kid can do, besides being able to shoot the ball, he makes Beautiful passes, and he rebounds the ball like he is 8'0 ft. tall or something this kid clearly has what it takes to become a D-1 player. Coming off the bench is Travis Nelson this kid is also an all around good ball player, then you have Alex Melhorn another good post, then DJ Shannon, this kid is another awesome player shoots the BALL like no other big man and rebounds very well and a little word of advice to opposing teams you better rebound the ball because if you don't this kid will always score because as soon as it comes off the rim it's going to get tipped back in by this young man, last but not least Ray Jenkins this guy is one of the overall better defensive players on this team. Look out opposing teams because the BULLDOGS are looking to hunt you down and bring your season to a hault.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone will say that Wartburg will be a bad team. Coach Joe Lane does an extrememly good job there. He has the shooters, and enough athletes to compete...they will be a very solid team, in the District and Region...and who knows where else. I believe that Wartburg will be in the hunt for the district title, along with the rest of the top four...Rockwood, Oneida, and Harriman. One thing is for certain, I love to watch them play. Very good team basketball...they impressed me so much during last seasons playoff battle with Cosby.

Edited by threeball

Be very careful not to hype a player beyond his true abilities, bbking. You make J. Shannon sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread. If this kid was really Div. I material, don't you think he would be more widely known in the area. I'm not trying to belittle the kid, but until your post I don't recall his name mentioned very much at this point. Maybe when the season gets into swing he will be all that and more, but he will be hard pressed to meet your expectations as they stand in your post. Lower your expectations of the kid a bit, after all he is a kid isn't he?

Kaz out! B)

Wartburg played Temple this summer in a three way scrimmage with Rockwood. I personally guarded both the Skogen kids and trust me, they are both the real deal. Temple is a legitimite contender for the state title for several reasons. First, they have a great coach with an even better system. They run the 1-4 high to perfection that is almost impossible to defend. Secondly, they have the skogens. simple as that. Lastly, their defense is very different. most teams force baseline, not temple, they force middle. It is a very impressive defensive scheme. Now to the talk of the Shannon kid. Trust me, i go against this kid everyday in practice, and he has the complete package. he knows the system, runs almost as well as Jonathan Vespie did. The great thing about him is that he is only a junior. To put it plainly, is he one of the best guards in the region, and with the melton kid down low, other teams could be in some serious trouble. Wartburg will shock some people this year.

Wartburg is always around when the season changes to the hardcourt. Sounds like they will push tempo and evolve around the big post (Melton) in the half court. Coach Lane has proven to be a good x and o's coach so I figure they will have a lot of multiple sets. Vespie was at the point early in his career, have they moved him over to take ball handling responsibilities off of him? He seemed to thrive when they let him drive and dish. Must have improved his outside shot, huh? I think most teams in the district can match-up with the Bulldogs, so a solid defensive effort will keep the other contenders in the hunt. Who those teams will be is anybody's quess. Harriman is always athletic and they are always dangerous. Oneida and Rockwood will again be in the hunt. I would venture the Indians will rely on the experience they have returning and Rockwood will give teams fits as long as Coach K is on that bench. Coalfield will contend when the football team adds players to the roster. Sunbright and Oakdale are the unknowns in the district, but I'm sure they can put up a strong effort if anyone decides to take the night off. Should make for an exciting year, where there seems to be no "loaded" team, but a bunch of very solid clubs. Let us watch awhile, before we go out on a limb(the branch might break) and pick a clear favorite. thumb