Blount County Championship

Rebel Nation

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

Does everyone realize that Heritage dropped Alcoa and picked up Seymour. SEYMOUR IS A 3A SCHOOL!! They were playing a great 2A school, that would go to the playoffs in most 5A regions, and now they are playing a pushover 3A school that only makes the playoffs because they are in one of the weakest regions in all of Tennessee high school football. Rewis wants as many easy wins as possible--except for Maryville because that game will fund their entire athletic budget for the year. But remember he is doing all this for the kids. WHAT A JOKE!

Edited by krakatoa

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in my humble opinion, Maryville does prepare the average Blount co team to play their other opponents (besides Alcoa). WB scored more points in every game they played after Maryville than the ones they'd played befoe Maryville (except the Central Game). Heritage also played better after playing us. Just a thought. Maryville is mid-season football camo for them.

Lets just make it easy... Let the county schools play each other and 5A teams and finish their year at 1-9 and let the 2 teams from the city that attract more attendance, more championships and more respect play at the begining of the year in their annual "Civil War" battle and decide who the best team is. Maryville and Alcoa are the elite programs in Blount County. Just cause it doesnt benifit Heritage to win/lose to Alcoa is BS...How does it benifit Maryville to beat alcoa? or how does it benifit Alcoa gettin killed (usually) by Maryville? It doesnt but they dont drop each other from the schedules... its a rivalry, its friends vs friends...foes vs foes but more importantly ITS TRADITION!!! something that was taught to me by a coach at a certain County school who i hope wont make the stupid decision that Heritage coach made. Next thing you know we're gonna stop seeing Tenn vs Bama, Oklahoma vs Texas or even my favorite Miami vs FSU. but i guess it doesnt matter as of now BC football is slowly being ruined by stupid decision. So come this time next year when Maryville is in the Semis, and Alcoa is in the semis, i hope Heritage is proud of there 1-9 rebuilding year and i hope Meadows and WB doesnt make the same mistake nothing more then id like to see then a 2A, 4A, and 5A state title next year

FBE----The comments you made about Alcoa seem to come with a flavor of arrogance.  First of all Maryville has a great football system beginning with the youth programs.  While not a Maryville fan I appreciate the tradition of winning that they have established.  To call Alcoa "an inner city school" and say that "Reid made a very un-classy move scoring with 20 seconds left, but consider the program" are reasons that Alcoa faithful can't embrace the idea to support Maryville in their run for another championship.  I may be wrong but wasn't a freshman playing quarterback when Alcoa scored than final time.  We Alcoa, the inner city ignorant people understand that we are no threat or rival as you stated.  Before Maryville fans get on me I have coached in your youth program, know several of the kids and have great respect for them and the programs. 

Back to the topic it is sad that we will not be playing the county schools, but if Heritage believes picking up Seymour and Campbell will translate into automatic wins they should check Seymour's recent record.  I believe that Campbell County made the playoff and had a winning season.  I have heard that Alcoa is looking to pad its win total by adding a school in Knoxville with no football tradition or recent success----Fulton.  I guess that Alcoa understands that to get better and be ready when the playoffs arrive, that playing good competition is vital. 

They picked up Campbell Countybec tehy are now in teh same region...

Success is not measured by wins alone.  Preparation, Dedication and Heart are the keys for success in football and life.

825448311[/snapback]

has anyone thought of this reasoning yet (haven't noticed it in all the reading).

to build a winning tradition a coach has to build confidence into the players for his system.  so scheduling opponents that you can compete with and possibly win will build that trust between the players and coaches.  as the players get more prepared for the tougher challenges then the scheduling of the tougher schools will take place.

825448496[/snapback]

BULLSEYE JKar...

It's not like these teams are going out and scheduling patsies to take Alcoa's place. Heritage picks up Seymour (always tough) and Campbell County (admittedly weak in the past, but coming off their first ever playoff appearance).

well word has it from my friends up in campbell co. that the def. coordinator is trying to leave up there and find somewhere else to coach. and if that happens they say he takes that running back with him (they say the coach is his guardian (not for sure on my end though)). and if you followed them like i did this season you would know that the def. carried them.

825448728[/snapback]

JKar...teh def co-ordinator would love to be a head coach somewhere..as far as taking teh RB wiht him I am not so sure...teh RB you mention is not under his guardianship...teh coach has helped tutor him and watch over him in teh past but other circumstances surrounding teh RB indicate taht he will not leave..

I have nothing to do with this but I'm a Maryville hater :ph34r: and I like posting on threads dealing with Maryville. But from a fan standpoint I think the idea of cutting these games out is ridiculous. The Blount County Champs has been Maryville for the last few centuries(LOL) but I think it gives the community a lot to look forward to. Especially, Alcoa because they're program is on the way back up. William Blount should be elvating back to the top as well.

I'm losing ya here but the point of my post is, you all should fight this because it's a great way to keep the community together..

BULLSEYE JKar...

825450348[/snapback]

As a Heritage alum, I wish them luck. I was fortunate to play 3 years there & lose only 1 game to either of the 3 in county schools. Those days are long gone. As someone who still follows HS sports closely, kids have to somehow taste success before they can become successful. Dropping Alcoa is an option that I think is overdue. And if I get to choose to play Maryville or Alcoa, no choice there. Maybe my kids can see what it takes to win with class & discipline at the one.

Not certain who actually puled the plug, but I commend them for at least trying to lay some groundwork for success through the schedule. As a junior, I remember playing Maryville the first game of the season. That loss literally stuck with us for weeks. We were fortunate to made the playoffs, but that was really a setback. Then, with the game later in the year the next year, it did not mean as much- non-conference game that we just wanted really bad (ironically got basted at Rule first game of the year in non-conference affair.)

As for keeping community together, hogwash. I grew up going to Alcoa games watching Todd Upton & Terry Whitted. Thankful my parents sent me here I was zoned on that part. WB, HHS, & Alcoa all had one thing in comon, we hated Murvul. Still will not wear red & black to this day together even though I don't live close. County kids never have liked Maryville, never will unless there is a mass influx people who have no links to the past. However, if I still lived there, I'd darn sure try to make certain my kids went there.

Good luck to Heritage- they sure have not had much in the past decade!

I would like to thank whomever made the decision at HHS to drop AHS. Hope WBHS does the same. Alcoa is a 2A team (really qualify as 1A based on enrollment -9th-12th= around 400 students). Playing teams like 5A South Doyle, 5A HHS, and 5A WBHS really hurts our strength of schedule because the 5A's above are less than mediocre--heck they are just pitiful. We have allready filled 1 spot with Fulton (3A- last year state champs in 3A and playing in semi-finals this year). Word is we are trying to get Austin East and Oak Ridge - neither a "give me" game. The fact is, to be great, you have to play the best teams you can. We will never drop Maryville - because they are one of the best teams in state. Win or loose - we will never quit. The BlountCounty 5A's have done just that --- they have QUIT!!!! SHAME!!!! SHAME!!! SHAME!!!