Does Powell have what it takes to make Regions?

nada02

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the first 2 games are any indication the answer would be no. Several things must happen if Powell plans to get out of the Highly competitive District 3 AAA.

I think OR is a lock. Clinton is much better than I thought. Karns, Halls, Powell, will fight for the 3 a spot in the Region as well.

Powell in my opinion must do the following.

Young players must mature quickly. Hargis will be a solid player. But he must control his emotions. Conner will be good but must get quicker and stronger. Both are a year away.

Smith has to stay on the block. Although a pretty good shooter. When he moves away from the basket a 5'10" player can defend him. He must be a dominate force inside. He do lets his emotions get the better of him from time to time.

Find a third scorer and get some help inside for Smith. Rebounder / defender type. Someone who will do the dirty work.

After seeing a couple of teams play this week I am going to modify my previous predictiion.

1. Oak Ridge Bearden game will tells use more. Keep in mind they will not be full strength until Jan.

2. Clinton I have seen them play last night and they were impressive.

3. Karns They better score 75 + against good teams. What will Fersner do?

4. Halls Sharp may be the best player in Knoxville but they can put all of the load on him. Must utilze the post and and find a consistent outside shooter at 2 or 3. I think Halls good be the surprise team. Cameron Sharp is that good.

5. Powell Didn't look to good against Farragut.

6. Campbell Co. Maryville beat them pretty good without a couple of players from football.

7. Central The door mat of the KIL. Look forward to going up there Friday /Sat for some good games.

I am pretty confident 1 is correct. I know 7 is right. 2, 3, 4, could vary a bit. In my opinion Powell will be the odd man out this year.

If the first 2 games are any indication the answer would be no.  Several things must happen if Powell plans to get out of the Highly competitive District 3 AAA.

I think OR is a lock.  Clinton is much better than I thought. Karns, Halls, Powell, will fight for the 3  a spot in the Region as well.

Young players must mature quickly.  Hargis will be a solid player.  But he must control his emotions.  Conner will be good but must get quicker and stronger. Both are a year away.

Smith has to stay on the block.  Although a pretty good shooter.  When he moves away from the basket a 5'10" player can defend him.  He must be a dominate force inside.  He do lets his emotions get the better of him from time to time.

Find a third scorer and get some help inside for Smith.  Rebounder / defender type.  Someone who will do the dirty work. 

After seeing a couple of teams play this week I am going to modify my previous predictiion.

1.  Oak Ridge  Bearden game will tells use more.  Keep in mind they will not be full strength until Jan.

2.  Clinton I have seen them play last night and they were impressive.

3.  Karns  They better score 75 + against good teams.  What will Fersner do?

4.  Halls  Sharp may be the best player in Knoxville but they can put all of the load on him.  Must utilze the post and and find a consistent outside shooter at 2 or 3.  I think Halls good be the surprise team.  Cameron Sharp is that good.

5.  Powell  Didn't  look to good against Farragut

6.  Campbell Co.  Maryville beat them pretty good without a couple of players from football.

7.  Central  The door mat of the KIL.  Look forward to going up there Friday /Sat for some good games.

I am pretty confident 1 is correct.  I know 7 is right.  2, 3, 4, could vary a bit.  In my opinion Powell will be the odd man out this year.

825450274[/snapback]

Nice post, bigcatt2. I must admit that I am disappointed in Powell at the start of the season. But, and this is a big but, I think it is way too early to count this team out. This team has several key contributors who have come over from football and they have just not gelled yet.

Powell's biggest problem as I see it is the lack of a viable outside shooting threat. Right now the best shooter on the team cannot play major minutes because he cannot handle the ball well enough to be relied upon. He is improving though and he'll get there. I'm talking about TC Dinkins. Additionally, Hargis is doing a better job of controlling his emotions. He had an awful game last night, but that was not all his fault. Cleveland is pretty solid and Powell was within 10 near the end of the third quarter. Ogan played subs in the fourth because he is still evaluating where everybody fits and he is trying to figure out his rotations. Don't start judging Powell until next week. They play Clinton and Karns. I think this will definintely be region team. I have said all along that this is a team that will reach the region semis.

Nice post, bigcatt2. I must admit that I am disappointed in Powell at the start of the season. But, and this is a big but, I think it is way too early to count this team out. This team has several key contributors who have come over from football and they have just not gelled yet.

Powell's biggest problem as I see it is the lack of a viable outside shooting threat. Right now the best shooter on the team cannot play major minutes because he cannot handle the ball well enough to be relied upon. He is improving though and he'll get there. I'm talking about TC Dinkins. Additionally, Hargis is doing a better job of controlling his emotions. He had an awful game last night, but that was not all his fault. Cleveland is pretty solid and Powell was within 10 near the end of the third quarter. Ogan played subs in the fourth because he is still evaluating where everybody fits and he is trying to figure out his rotations. Don't start judging Powell until next week. They play Clinton and Karns. I think this will definintely be region team. I have said all along that this is a team that will reach the region semis.

825450484[/snapback]

By the way, I absolutely love Cameron Sharp's game and his style of play, but at this point in his career, he is no where near the best player in Knoxville.

bigcatt and moc good posts and i agree with most of it.

no slam on tc.........but im afraid body strength and size will be a factor with him in todays physical style of play

i love the way miggie plays defense..........whish he could shoot better

we have some young players and im sure they will mature as the season goes along

the two things that stood out to me lack of defense and bad passes

bigcatt and moc good posts      and i agree with most of it.

no slam on tc.........but im afraid body strength and size will be a factor with him in todays physical style of play

i love the way miggie plays defense..........whish he could shoot better

we have some young players and im sure they will mature as the season goes along

the two things that stood out to me  lack of defense    and bad passes

825450945[/snapback]

RobPride:

I hear what you are saying about TC. But you could have said the exact same thing about me when I was his age. I think he has tremendous potential, and most importantly, he seems to want to excel.

By the way, I absolutely love Cameron Sharp's game and his style of play, but at this point in his career, he is no where near the best player in Knoxville.

825450489[/snapback]

You beat me too it, Cameron is very solid, but the best in Knoxville? He is a couple of years away from possibly holding that honor. And I'll agree again, Powell guards need to step it up. The inside game is proven, but it is hard to win being one dimensional.

If the first 2 games are any indication the answer would be no.  Several things must happen if Powell plans to get out of the Highly competitive District 3 AAA.

I think OR is a lock.  Clinton is much better than I thought. Karns, Halls, Powell, will fight for the 3  a spot in the Region as well.

Young players must mature quickly.  Hargis will be a solid player.  But he must control his emotions.  Conner will be good but must get quicker and stronger. Both are a year away.

Smith has to stay on the block.  Although a pretty good shooter.  When he moves away from the basket a 5'10" player can defend him.  He must be a dominate force inside.  He do lets his emotions get the better of him from time to time.

Find a third scorer and get some help inside for Smith.  Rebounder / defender type.  Someone who will do the dirty work. 

1.  Oak Ridge  Bearden game will tells use more.  Keep in mind they will not be full strength until Jan.

2.  Clinton I have seen them play last night and they were impressive.

3.  Karns  They better score 75 + against good teams.  What will Fersner do?

4.  Halls  Sharp may be the best player in Knoxville but they can put all of the load on him.  Must utilze the post and and find a consistent outside shooter at 2 or 3.  I think Halls good be the surprise team.  Cameron Sharp is that good.

5.  Powell  Didn't  look to good against Farragut

6.  Campbell Co.  Maryville beat them pretty good without a couple of players from football.

7.  Central  The door mat of the KIL.  Look forward to going up there Friday /Sat for some good games.

I am pretty confident 1 is correct.  I know 7 is right.  2, 3, 4, could vary a bit.  In my opinion Powell will be the odd man out this year.

825450274[/snapback]

campbell county did very well against maryville until the last minutes. they did lose by 15 but we were down by 4 with 2 minutes left. so we arent as bad as everyone suggests. whats the excuse for karns loss by 28? they might not be as good as everyone thinks

Moc you are correct. It is a bit premature to count out Powell. I was simply making my predictions based on early performance. After a few regular season District games it will be easier to evaluate all of the teams. If their prerimeter play doesn't improve vastly and in a hurry they are going to struggle.

Maybe I shouldn't crown Cameron Sharp the best player in the KIL. But if I was starting a high school team he would be my first pick. Lee Smith would be a close second only because I am of the opinion the Pt. gaurd is the most important player on a high school team. Give me those two and I am one shooter away from the state tournament.

:(:(

I know they lost a lot of senior leaders last year, but can this years team make it out of their district and into the region tournament this year.  There is a bunch of young talent on the team.

825449283[/snapback]

Will campbell co. finish near the bottom in dist3aaa? This cougar team is going to surprise some people this year. My guess is they will be near the top of the district at the end of the season. thumb

well i agree with mocs on not to count them out too early.

I agree with Rodpride on TC about not being strong enough, but not being strong enough doens't mean you can't contribute. I wasn't the strongest player out there as those of you who know me. but i contributed a little bit. I don't think TC is there in his over all game. Even if he was stronger i don't think he could make a big difference.

They have the inside game but if they can't shoot the rock, they might be along rode for the panthers. But as everyone says, its early they have plenty of time to improve.

Predictions :

1. Karns

2. Halls

3. OR

4. Clinton/Powell/Central

7.Campbell Co.

The 4 slot will be between those teams and Central Could be the suprise team this year. They didnt look to bad the other night, Don't over look them Panters.