McCallie Vs. Baylor

ghetto meadow

andrew is very good guy. he gets great grades and he is very good at wrestling. he is very invovled in the community and at his school

825527763[/snapback]

yes i know that, thats why he is a coaches pet i agree he is a great guy and wreslter and does tons of other things he is a very involved and good person but i still believe he is a coaches pet which i said wasnt a bad thing

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey no harm taken... don't worry about it, but 119wrestler, how do you know this about Andrew? Only someone very close to the team could make a statement like that...

825528245[/snapback]

Everybody up to date with D. II wrestling in Chattanooga knows about the Spencer Manley's situation last year. Whether McCallie will admit it or not, Andrew Smith made a big sacrafice and cut a lot of weight two years ago to make 130 in order to help out the team (but the fact was that he would not have been able to start anywhere else so this move was not totally unselfish). At the end of the year banquet, Connel said that Andrew could go any weight that he chose for the next year uncontested. Because Connel chooses to not utilize challenge matches (one of the many great things that sets this sport apart from others), Manley, a senior two time state champion and the best wrestler in the room that year, was not able to go the weight that he felt most comfortable at. All because Andrew Smith "made such a huge sacrifice" (he would have been wrestling JV if he hadn't cut to 130 that year), but not to take anything away from Andrew he did cut a lot of weight that year and wrestled well but I don't see how that gives him the privaledge of picking what weight to wrestle uncontested for the next year, especially in the way of a senior, who would have undoubtedly won a challenge match between the two or anyone else in the room, for that matter.

Hey attack

Spitalney gets bonus points over A. Smith? You are crazy. One wonders if you are a McCallie supporter trying to motivate the big blue

825524514[/snapback]

You are right Chattcity. I must be "crazy" because I am only making my predictions off of factual results. Splitalny beat Smith last year in the McCallie Invit., but you are right that is poor evidence to base predictions off of.

And taking into acount the results of the Soddy vs McCallie match, the Baylor vs. McCallie match should be a blow-out. Baylor embarrassed Soddy this year (they are having a down year, not taking a cut at them; all Baylor fans and wrestlers have huge respect for this program) and Soddy just beat McCallie. But becuase of the intensity and coaching strategy that goes into the Baylor vs McCallie match, I will say that the match will be closer than one would expect when comparing the results of the matchs against this common opponent. Also Connell seems to not wrestle his actual lineup until the least possible moment in the season and that usually is the Baylor vs. McCallie match, but my prediction still stands: Baylor will beat McCallie this year very solidly this year.

Edited by attackall3per.

Everybody up to date with D. II wrestling in Chattanooga knows about the Spencer Manley's situation last year. Whether McCallie will admit it or not, Andrew Smith made a big sacrafice and cut a lot of weight two years ago to make 130 in order to help out the team (but the fact was that he would not have been able to start anywhere else so this move was not totally unselfish). At the end of the year banquet, Connel said that Andrew could go any weight that he chose for the next year uncontested. Because Connel chooses to not utilize challenge matches (one of the many great things that sets this sport apart from others), Manley, a senior two time state champion and the best wrestler in the room that year, was not able to go the weight that he felt most comfortable at. All because Andrew Smith "made such a huge sacrifice" (he would have been wrestling JV if he hadn't cut to 130 that year), but not to take anything away from Andrew he did cut a lot of weight that year and wrestled well but I don't see how that gives him the privaledge of picking what weight to wrestle uncontested for the next year, especially in the way of a senior, who would have undoubtedly won a challenge match between the two or anyone else in the room, for that matter.

825528399[/snapback]

[/quo

I am no expert on McCallie but this seems a little off base. There was also two other boys in the mix as well from what I can remember, Justin Blair and Ryan Scott, who won the state 4 times "right". Since no one is accounting for what Ryan Scott whould have challanged for or Justin Blair I really don't think everything can be pointed to just Andrew Smith and Spencer or the Coach. I would also assume that all these boys wanted to win both team and ind. honors. Watching the State Tournment last year Ryan Scott looked tiny and was the lightest of them all. Didn't Spenser wrestle down when McCallie went to Pa. last year. How did he do there? It seems based on last weeks results that Whit Dunning has no trouble wrestling two weight classes up and teching his man in two periods. Since non of you guys have a time machine I would say get over it. Spencer Manley was and is still a stud. He appeared by all accounts to be able to beat anybody who walked out on the mat but on that given day last year he lost to another great wrestler; was it because of his weight; hardly. Great wrestlers should want to wrestler other great wrestlers not find a weight class that they can mop up in. It is this very thought that would make me think that both Corey Manson and Whit Dunning should square off at 125 this year. I bet they would both want the chance to prove to themselves they are the best. No question both Corey Manson and Whit aka THE WHIT are also two of Tennessee's best. As was Spencer Manley. Sometimes there is simply more than one big dog in a weight class.

I am no expert on McCallie but this seems a little off base. There was also two other boys in the mix as well from what I can remember, Justin Blair and Ryan Scott, who won the state 4 times "right". Since no one is accounting for what Ryan Scott whould have challanged for or Justin Blair I really don't think everything can be pointed to just Andrew Smith and Spencer or the Coach. I would also assume that all these boys wanted to win both team and ind. honors. Watching the State Tournment last year Ryan Scott looked tiny and was the lightest of them all. Didn't Spenser wrestle down when McCallie went to Pa. last year. How did he do there? It seems based on last weeks results that Whit Dunning has no trouble wrestling two weight classes up and teching his man in two periods. Since non of you guys have a time machine I would say get over it. Spencer Manley was and is still a stud. He appeared by all accounts to be able to beat anybody who walked out on the mat but on that given day last year he lost to another great wrestler; was it because of his weight; hardly. Great wrestlers should want to wrestler other great wrestlers not find a weight class that they can mop up in. It is this very thought that would make me think that both Corey Manson and Whit Dunning should square off at 125 this year. I bet they would both want the chance to prove to themselves they are the best. No question both Corey Manson and Whit aka THE WHIT are also two of Tennessee's best. As was Spencer Manley. Sometimes there is simply more than one big dog in a weight class.

825528744[/snapback]

I agree with what you said except that Spencer should be the one to make the decision to wrestle Marable or not, not Coach Connel. But the fact is that the issue was between Coach Connel, Andrew, and Spencer. As I said, I do agree that a champion always wants the best competition, but because of the great nature of our sport, there are challenge matches, which put this decision in the hands of the wrestler and no one else. Last year Spencer didn't have this decision. Also, in wrestling there are weight classes, which serve a very specific and important purpose, and last year Marable was absolutely bigger than Manely.