3AAA TOUGH DISTRICT RACE

RimRecker

james...Good look at Halls next week. I think Halls should win all three, but playing the three so close together could cause one loss.

I'll look at Karns..

I was out-of-town last weekend and missed the Central game, but understand Karns played well. That might mean they are adjusting to basketball without the shooting of Shipwash.

Oak Ridge at Karns - I haven't watched Oak Ridge but was impressed with the win over Alcoa, but the Wildcats have been up and down some this season. They have some inside coaching knowledge on the Karns players and I look for this one to go down to the wire with the Beavers giving the Wildcats their first "L" in district play.

Karns at Campbell Co. - This game was close at Karns and I still believe that the Cougars are better than "0-fer" in the league. If the Beavers win over Oak Ridge then they could overlook the trip to Campbell Co. and be prime for the upset.

Anderson Co at Powell - I look for Powell to bounce back from the Halls loss and Anderson Co will be tired after the game with Halls. Powell wins

Powell at Fulton - VERY tough to go to Fulton and win, I'll have to go with Fulton here. If Powell proves me wrong then they should win District 3

Central at Cocke Co. - Central wins one

Central at Oak Ridge - Wildcats in this one.

Campbell Co at Clinton - Clinton wins.

825522764[/snapback]

thank you campbell county is playing sub par ball right now but can play better. they took oak ridge to overtime but came up way short. they can play with anyone up until the 4th quarter and they just act like they cant play at all. the good teams get it done in the fourth quarter. when the seniors step up in the fourth quarter without foul trouble including technical fouls for the ball team campbell county can win some games!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TN, I think you are right on with CC. I listened to their game with Clinton last night. They were ahead at the half, but it really should've been more than that. Clinton buckled down on the defensive end and cause CC some trouble, but like you said, they just couldn't hold up in the second. This could be one of two things, maybe more...either they aren't well conditioned and can't hold up after the break, or clinton just played more inspired in the second and came out and took it to them. With the way CC held Whitt to just 3 points in the first, they can hold any top scoring threat player for any team...they'll get over the hump sooner or later and I like them against Karns since the Beavers got one against OR as well.

I'm going to go back on what I said about Clinton beating Halls since you all are saying the games have been switched. I like Halls with the home court. They should be back to the shape they were in before Christmas by now and especially with having games on consecutive days and winning both on the road. Clinton struggled with CC in the first half at home, which can't happen at Halls because they'll jump up by 15 at the break if you aren't careful. Halls is usually strong in the second and fourth quarters in their games thusfar. In six of their last seven halls has held opponents to under 70 points...the only one, the loss to Oak Ridge. They've also won 12 of their last 13, make it 13 Friday..Halls by 10

Edited by jamesd

Karns at Campbell Co. - This game was close at Karns and I still believe that the Cougars are better than "0-fer" in the league. If the Beavers win over Oak Ridge then they could overlook the trip to Campbell Co. and be prime for the upset.

Sometimes it doesn't pay with being right. I didn't go to the game; what was with only three Karns players being able to score? I went to the Catholic/Webb game and it was a 3OT thriller.

it was a big win for the cougars, after coming close a few times and then falling by the wayside at the end . congrats also but....i was concerned by the karns player i believe was roth, i certainly hope this fine young man and player coming from a fine background is ok and wasn't hurt too bad. it happened very close to the end of the game. i wasn't there but heard it on the radio.

Clinton beat Halls last night. So this district is even closer than we all thought. With Central upsetting Clinton and only loosing by 2 last night to Oak Ridge and w/ Campbell Co. upsetting Karns just prooves that any team can be beaten on any night and which 4 go to region is a HUGE mystery. This is the closest district race in my lifetime and im just excited to see how it turns out.

Clinton beat Halls last night. So this district is even closer than we all thought. With Central upsetting Clinton and only loosing by 2 last night to Oak Ridge and w/ Campbell Co. upsetting Karns just prooves that any team can be beaten on any night and which 4 go to region is a HUGE mystery. This is the closest district race in my lifetime and im just excited to see how it turns out.

825531553[/snapback]

Maybe Hiawassee vol can update the district standings. That is the only way that I can keep track.

Mocs, I'll take a stab at the standings.

Oak Ridge 6-1

Karns 6-3

Clinton 4-3

Powell 4-3

Halls 2-3

Central 2-7

CCHS 1-6

I may have a mistake but I think those are right.

Oak Ridge - host Karns, Clinton, Halls; at Powell, at Central

Karns - host Halls; at Clinton, at Oak Ridge

Powell - host Clinton, Oak Ridge, Campbell Co.; at Central, at Halls

Clinton - host Karns, Halls; at Powell, CCHS, Oak Ridge

Halls - 2 with CCHS; at Clinton, Oak Ridge, Central, Karns; host Powell

Again, corrections if I'm wrong - I'm going by simple memory

Should be interesting.

What a mess. I thought Karns may have a chance ot over take O.R. But I am afraid that the defeat at the hands C.C. will cost them dearly.

This is the way I see it shaking out. Of course any prediction on this District is high risk.

O.R. finishes 10-2 Will loose along the way because they are very inconsistent. wasn't ready to play against central and it almost cost them.

Karns 8-4 Don't think they can beat both Clinton and O.R. on the road.

Clinton 8-4 There guard play make them very tough to defend. They have a tough road schedule but I think they can win at least 2 out of the 3. I bet they could kick themselves for giveing that game to Central early.

Powell 6-6 Lack of scoring from the perrimeter will be deadly for Powell. The good thing is there toughest games are at home withthe exception of Halls. Saw them Friday night and they couldn't handle Fulton who played the worst game I have seen them play in 5 years. Lee Smith is a good player but he didn't dominate like I thought he would. Like to see Conner get more looks. Fulton hasn't figured out how to attack that 3-2 yet.

Halls 5-7 Schedule is just to tough for them to get many more wins in the district. They should take care of Central and C.C. and maybe sneak in for one more win. Loss to Clinton may prove devastating.

C.C. 2-10 May get one more win

Central 2-10 They have all of the district games they will win for this year.

Where is the District Tournament this year?

"Powell 6-6 Lack of scoring from the perrimeter will be deadly for Powell. The good thing is there toughest games are at home withthe exception of Halls. Saw them Friday night and they couldn't handle Fulton who played the worst game I have seen them play in 5 years. Lee Smith is a good player but he didn't dominate like I thought he would. Like to see Conner get more looks. Fulton hasn't figured out how to attack that 3-2 yet."

bigcatt2:

I would like to take issue with some of your statements in this post. First of all, there is a reason that Fulton did not play as well as they normally do, and that is that Powell matched their physicality and toughness. Teams normally do not that to Fulton. Second of all, I think Fulton won the game specifically because they figured out how to attack Powell's zone. I have to wonder whether we were watching the same game on Friday night. Fulton hit at least six open three in half court offense against Powell's zone. Their good shooting won them the game. Hargis did not play up to his ability against Isiah Ray. Specifically, he got his pocket picked for layups three times, but he will be better for it at tournament time. There is no one in this district that can put that type of pressure on Hargis again, so it was a very good learning experience.

Also, I have been informed from a good source that watched the tape that we missed 21 shots inside of five feet. Many were contested, many were not. It was just a tough night. That game was much closer than the twelve point margin indicates and Powell probably should have won the game. Maybe the week layoff hurt Powell, but we give the credit to Fulton.

What people need to realize is that Powell has come no where near "clicking" yet this year. It is only a matter of time before it happens. I don't see Powell losing again during the regular season. I think it would be absolutely shocking if Powell were to finish 6-6 as you indicate.

Edited by mocs30

District is at OR this year, I believe, bigcat. I have to disagree with 1 thing about your standings though. No way do I see Karns in 2nd. To me, they're the 5th best team in the district. They only have 2 players who can score (fersner and jones) and both r maddeningly inconsistent. I'll be shocked if they finish 8-4. I'm not sure they'll get another win in district playing at OR,at Clinton, and at home against Halls.