Have Know it all fans ruined HS basketball!

Onaroll

are they suppose to be....they arent getting payed...

825515218[/snapback]

Fans are not getting paid but they are setting the example by which the players will follow....... the older players are setting the example by which the younger players will follow....... therefore they must be professional.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fans are not getting paid but they are setting the example by which the players will follow....... the older players are setting the example by which the younger players will follow....... therefore they must be professional.

825515226[/snapback]

true, fans are paying, not getting paid, to get in.. so i think that the level of standards for referees should be upped...

:lol: ,where did the younger and older players fall into reffing anyways???

The purpose of this thread is to contradict the thread about officials ruining HS basketball littlewilly,  my purpose in bringing the role model aspect into the conversation is to remind people like you that there are always someone watching you and looking to you as a role model.

i will say that is a good point... and dont u love how everyone changes the name from big to little when i start a debate with someone???? i think it happens everytime, i mean, how original.. :rolleyes:

I guess that went over your head.......

not quite sure where that one came from... :(

if you think officials should be held more accountable I respect your opinion.  However, I will ask you and anyone else who bashes the officials one simple question that I ask anyone who criticizes the officials.  Why don't you become an official and raise the bar.  I have asked many people that criticize the refs this and have never got a respectable answer. 

well, honestly and respectfully, im not old enough, im a senior in high school.

This is only my opinion....... If your not willing to do the job then I don't think that you have earned the right to criticize the people who are willing to do it.

825515313[/snapback]

I stated earlier that i think we should raise the level for referees, i think that they should be watched and monitored during games (not to their knowledge) and then given a grade. thats my feelings on this matter.

on a different note, how much does a ref make for one game?

From an umpire's perspective, I can tell you the two things we want in a game.  Strikes and Outs.........for both sides.  I imagine most refs want the seconds to tick away as fast as they can.  Blowing the whistle only prolongs the game. :D

Answer this question honestly.  Why would a referee hold a grudge against a coach, player or team?

825515176[/snapback]

Because the coach didn't play his son enough 5 years ago?

I've seen one of those this year, and it almost cost us a game.

On the application to officiate, they ask you for your high school and college alma mater. Another thing you'll find is that in such cases, it's usually the alma mater or the team your son plays on that doesn't get any slack. They never get the close call because the official doesn't want to appear partial. The app also says that you won't get any games for schools where you are employed or have family employed or one that your child plays on. The officials CAN be fined for unsportsmanlike conduct or unethical conduct or if they fail to file a report with the state office on such matters. If there are legitimate complaints, file one with the assigning official. There ARE evaluators in the stands at alot of events. They aren't going to wear the zebra shirt so everybody knows it or a big patch on their cap that says "TSSAA OFFICIAL EVALUATOR" :blink: . Geez.......

Edited by ksgovols

I have attampted to stay off this thread - but can not hold back:

Fan's, coaches, ref's, and players all push the limit at times.  Ironically, the players get fouls called for it - or tossed from the game, coaches get T'd up or tossed, fan's get tossed, yet the Ref's are pretty much unscathed for their errors.

I beieve that is where the frustration rolls in.  However, I do not believe it is ruining the game.

I am an official, in another sport, and I agree the Ref's need to develop a thicker skin than most.  Not to the piont of being abused, but can't have Rabbit Ears either.

But as an official, I feel I can comment on a growing trend I have seen lately.  It appears as though calls are beginning to become more prevelant based on the Scoreboard rather than what is actually happening on the court.  This is what tends to upset most fans, the lack of consistency at both ends of the court.

825515021[/snapback]

Well said.