Have Know it all fans ruined HS basketball!

Onaroll

On the application to officiate, they ask you for your high school and college alma mater.  Another thing you'll find is that in such cases, it's usually the alma mater or the team your son plays on that doesn't get any slack.  They never get the close call because the official doesn't want to appear partial.  The app also says that you won't get any games for schools where you are employed or have family employed or one that your child plays on.    The officials CAN be fined for unsportsmanlike conduct or unethical conduct or if they fail to file a report with the state office on such matters.  If there are legitimate complaints, file one with the assigning official.  There ARE evaluators in the stands at alot of events.  They aren't going to wear the zebra shirt so everybody knows it or a big patch on their cap that says "TSSAA OFFICIAL EVALUATOR" :D .  Geez.......

825516263[/snapback]

The guy's son doesn't play anymore, he's a senior in college now after a couple of injury redshirt years too. But his dad *VERY CLEARLY* holds a grudge over it.

There's only so much you can do to limit this kind of crap, if the association won't ever do anything about it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Ref nor do I want to be.

I have some good friends that are refs, and do I agree with every call? (no way)

How I judge an official is this:

A. Calling the turn-overs correctly, walk, double dribble, etc.

B. If you don't see the foul, don't call it. If you are not in position to make the call then don't assume a foul has been made.

C. Charges "oh my gosh", most officials really don't know what a charge is. Nothing in the book says you must be "planted"

D. Blocking fouls, the defense has the right to guard. They have their area on the floor as well. If offense initiate the contact it's not a blocking foul.

In every situation you must learn to adjust to the calling, but when an official is just making up stuff because they don't like a player or their parent, then your just out of luck.

Region 1 district 2 AA has such an official.

I am not a Ref nor do I want to be.

I have some good friends that are refs, and do I agree with every call? (no way)

How I judge an official is this:

A. Calling the turn-overs correctly, walk, double dribble, etc.

B. If you don't see the foul, don't call it. If you are not in position to make the call then don't assume a foul has been made.

C. Charges "oh my gosh", most officials really don't know what a charge is. Nothing in the book says you must be "planted"

D. Blocking fouls, the defense has the right to guard. They have their area on the floor as well. If offense initiate the contact it's not a blocking foul.

In every situation you must learn to adjust to the calling, but when an official is just making up stuff because they don't like a player or their parent, then your just out of luck.

Region 1 district 2 AA has such an official.

825517092[/snapback]

I don't disagree with any of this post. Good stuff. All I'm saying, is don't knock it til you've tried it. Most fans watch the ball. Watch the referee next game, especially the one down low. He's responsible for the ball down low and 3 second calls. With all the screening that goes on, it's easy to miss a call. As far as block/charge, it seems to be a matter of opinion! There is alot of flopping going on for one, but if you lean back a little prior to contact, I say charge. Also if a kid goes flying in for a putback and the defense is set..........charge. It comes down to judgement calls and those are 50-50 according to your perspective. :)

I don't know what the refs are like for those of you that are from big schools but from what have seen the small schools like ours gets the worst of the worst. We cann't ever seem to get an evenly called game, not even on our home floor. And when I say an evenly called game I don't mean we had 10 fouls and they had 10 fouls, I mean that if its a foul on one end of the floor then it should be on the other end. For example in a game last week one of our players hardly even got one hand on the BALL and she was called for a foul, if anything it was a jump ball and on the other end one of our players was knocked to the floor by a girl taking the ball from her and nothing was called at all. Also in another game earlier this season one of our players, running along side a girl going for a layup stopped short, put her hands up and let the girl go by and shoot and never came within 3 feet of the other player and the closest ref was at half court and he called her with a foul and everyone in the gym knew she never touched her. That was her 5th foul early in the 4th and had already spent most of the game on the bench in foul trouble. And yes that girl was my daughter and I lost my cool, however I never cursed the refs nor did I threaten them but I was still as wrong as they were and finally realized I was going to their level and took myself outside to cool off and came back in and watched the boys game. Never the less the bad calls go on all the time against our school. Our team is very young and have lost most of their games but if games that they lost by 30 and 40 points were called more fairly the games would have been a lot closer which would help to boost the kids confidence. Holding a very good team to a close score would help their confidence which will make them a better team in the long run but if the refs continue to make a close game a blow out then they will continue to be down on themselves and not improve like they should or like they would. And to make a bad call worse, the other two refs usually think the call is funny instead of consulting with the calling ref to help get the call right. So for all you refs out there I do admire you and I know you have a tough job but please guys keep in mind that these are just kids, this is your chance to do something good for them and good not meaning making a call their way just make the right call. These kids will learn from the right call but will only get confussed and not learn anything from bad calls. I don't care if we lose by 1 or by 100 as long as the game is called right. I don't want anyone to cheat for my kid or her team nor do I want them cheated, like I said, if its the right call they will learn from it and will learn nothing from cheating. And no I'm not saying all refs are cheating but some do.

I don't care if we lose by 1 or by 100 as long as the game is called right.  I don't want anyone to cheat for my kid or her team nor do I want them cheated, like I said, if its the right call they will learn from it and will learn nothing from cheating.  And no I'm not saying all refs are cheating but some do.

825517595[/snapback]

LLDad, I hear your pleading...I've got one that's been playing on some level for five years now.

The thing that really upsets me is when refs let things get out of hand toward the end of a game when the outcome is certain. I read on here where an ump says he wants the game to end as soon as possible. When refs do this and swallow their whistle is when things get ugly. Players will keep fouling until the foul is called. One of about 3 things will happen then:

1) Player who finally gets charged with a foul feels "robbed" throws a fit. Crowd/Coach/Parents/Team knows they have been "robbed" and an ugly scene ensues.

2) Players get so frustrated with uncalled fouls they fight.

3) Someone gets hurt.

I don't think any ref puts on his/her stripes thinking, "I'm going to call a crappy/lazy game tonight". But how many take a moment to reflect on whom the game is for? How many take pride in how hard they work to be in the right place to make (or not) make the call? How many try to mentor a less experienced or mature ref? How many are happier when the student/athletes are the show? How many are proud when the crowd goes home and doesn't remember whom the ref was or who made what call? Hopefully more than not...Cheers

Wanting strikes and outs or seconds to tick away only means that close calls are usually going to the defense in baseball and are no calls in basketball or football. You still have to call the game to the best of your ability.

The thing about basketball is that in the last few minutes of the game, there is alot more pressure defense and hand checking going on. It's almost like the first 3 quarters and a half are played at one pace and the last half of the last quarter is a mad dash or a free throw shooting contest. That makes it tough.

Another thing that gets me is that everybody thinks the ref is too tough on the foul calls early in the game. Then, they get behind and have 3 or 4 fouls to give, and the crowd goes nuts cause he's not blowing his whistle on their kid. It's a double edge sword folks.

Another thing that gets me is that everybody thinks the ref is too tough on the foul calls early in the game.  Then, they get behind and have 3 or 4 fouls to give, and the crowd goes nuts cause he's not blowing his whistle on their kid.  It's a double edge sword folks.

825518034[/snapback]

Well they really don't call the same

Well, you're right jgarrison. They don't call the same........because the game is not the same. That's my point. The pace of the game, the intensity and everything changes in the last half of the last quarter. That's not a criticism, that's just how it is and the refs calls change with the pace and intensity of the game. The hand checks are a little rougher, the flopping is more prevalent and guys are crashing the boards with a little more aggression. No........they don't call the same.

Did you guys read in the Tennessean about the high school hockey fans that got into it in Franklin. The cops had to be called to keep the peace.

Edited by ksgovols

Well, you're right jgarrison.  They don't call the same........because the game is not the same.  That's my point.  The pace of the game, the intensity and everything changes in the last half of the last quarter.  That's not a criticism, that's just how it is and the refs calls change with the pace and intensity of the game.  The hand checks are a little rougher, the flopping is more prevalent and guys are crashing the boards with a little more aggression.  No........they don't call the same.

Did you guys read in the Tennessean about the high school hockey fans that got into it in Franklin.  The cops had to be called to keep the peace.

825518306[/snapback]

The biggest problem I have with High School Officials is they will call 20 to 40 fouls in a girls game, but the guys game is more physical and they will have half that.