MLK Coach

salty

Can someone who knows Coach Shelton,or maybe plays him on a regular basis, tell me about his strengths as a coach. His teams always seem to be strong and appear to improve as the season progresses.

I must admit, and apologize, after seeing his team play many years ago, I thought he was a clown. All the sideline antics, shirttail out, no kids on foul line, etc. I have since seen the error of my thinking. In fact, his team seemed to be the opposite of him. Poised, controlled, unemotional. I was impressed.

Please don't turn this into a bashfest of him.

Offense, defense, discipline, talent? What is the deal? How does he do it?

This is a serious question. Need serious answers.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been watching Coach Shelton for 6 years now. Defense is his specialty. Man to Man, and unless you play the same way, look for Coach Shelton to hold the ball as long as he wants untill you put pressure on him. From a mental standpoint, Doc seems to make his players think about the game in front of them and not into the future. One game at a time is how the Royals play. I got an opprotunity to listen to Doc talk to his player once. Down 6 at the break, he told his team that the group who came out and played the first 4 mintues of the third quarter the best would take home the win. You see Doc has his way of taking an enitre season and laying it on the line for 4 minutes. That is a key ingredient to making his players as tough and relentless as they are.

BIG BEN

He is a good coach from what I seen last year at state. He gave us at Bolivar all we could handle. If you have seen us play this year you might have noticed that we have changed our playin style to that of MLK after that game last year. I seen where someone already said it but they have a killer D. I know they play a slow down offense but they have held opponents to under 20 points a couple of times this year, thats crazy. This is not meant to bash the man but does he ever chill out. Maybe someone could slip something in his drink before the games at the boro this year so that us opposing fans dont wanna charge the court when he starts jumpin around. I guess im just not use to the coach havin more energy than the players. Like i said this aint tryin to bash him before someone gets upset and starts talkin about me because i said he has alot of energy. And im just curious since ive only seen his team play one time does he ever get throwed out of games?

He is a good coach from what I seen last year at state. He gave us at Bolivar all we could handle. If you have seen us play this year you might have noticed that we have changed our playin style to that of MLK after that game last year. I seen where someone already said it but they have a killer D. I know they play a slow down offense but they have held opponents to under 20 points a couple of times this year, thats crazy. This is not meant to bash the man but does he ever chill out. Maybe someone could slip something in his drink before the games at the boro this year so that us opposing fans dont wanna charge the court when he starts jumpin around. I guess im just not use to the coach havin more energy than the players. Like i said this aint tryin to bash him before someone gets upset and starts talkin about me because i said he has alot of energy. And im just curious since ive only seen his team play one time does he ever get throwed out of games?

825532660[/snapback]

I have been watching the man for 6 years now and I haven't seen him tossed. I have seen some Techs, but never an ejection. In my opinion I would love yo play for a coach who was a fired up as I was. I love the comment about him making you want to rush the court, now you can see why I have come back to watch evey year for the past 6. LOL. Good Post.

BIG BEN

I have been watching the man for 6 years now and I haven't seen him tossed.  I have seen some Techs, but never an ejection.  In my opinion I would love yo play for a coach who was a fired up as I was.  I love the comment about him making you want to rush the court, now you can see why I have come back to watch evey year for the past 6. LOL. Good Post.

BIG BEN

825532831[/snapback]

lol well you know, your already a little tense in a tight game like that one was, i was a sr. and it was my last chance to see us win a title while i was in school, and the coach is jumping around and im sittin there thinkin about havin to make that drive back home to go to school tommorow if we lose, then you look back up and see the coachin jumpin around all fired up and his team responding...you get a little caught up in the moment in a crisis like that. good coach though.

Guest catfish-hunter

Doc is a fine coach. If I were to compare his team to a team on the college level, then it would either have to be Pittsburgh or Wisconsin. What I mean by this is that MLK does what every coach in any sport preaches about and this is they CONTROL THE TEMPO OF THE GAME!!!! MLK gets right up in people's faces defensively, then on offense they execute flawlessly. They play quite a bit of games in the 50-point range, which means that they don't do things spectacularly, but they GET THE JOB DONE!!!