Wartburg

superdude12

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Wartburg has a good deal of respect, at least from anyone familiar with the caliber of teams they've ran out on the court the past several years. They've been blessed with TWO young quality coaches who've taken the program to new heights--Lyndell Goldston (who moved away but is now back in the county coaching at the middle school) and Joe Layne.

The one constant in Goldston and Layne's programs over the past several years has been "team" play. Sure, the Dawgs have had the Vespie brothers, but they've always played team ball, been pretty solid fundamentally, and have flat out gotten after people with their defensive schemes. Every game I've been involved in (as an assistant on two other county teams) against Goldston and Lane coached Wartburg squads, I've always come away with the feeling of "that's team ball." To me, that's the high mark and the one constant of the past few years worth of Wartburg teams. And I hope the current Wartburg players realize this and don't jeopardize it by looking for individual recognition. Respect, you've got. Don't look for recognition. Just play the game the way you guys do and the individual recognition will come to you. Always remember, despite how trite it may sound or how many times you might have heard it, you play for the name on the front of the uniform. Everything should be team, team, team. . .

Then, there's Dallas Davis and the Lady Bulldogs. Another solid program built over the years as well. But this is a BOYS basketball forum, so maybe I'll get into that subject another time and place.

---rSquared

I think Wartburg has a good deal of respect, at least from anyone familiar with the caliber of teams they've ran out on the court the past several years.  They've been blessed with TWO young quality coaches who've taken the program to new heights--Lyndell Goldston (who moved away but is now back in the county coaching at the middle school) and Joe Layne.

The one constant in Goldston and Layne's programs over the past several years has been "team" play.  Sure, the Dawgs have had the Vespie brothers, but they've always played team ball, been pretty solid fundamentally, and have flat out gotten after people with their defensive schemes.  Every game I've been involved in (as an assistant on two other county teams) against Goldston and Lane coached Wartburg squads, I've always come away with the feeling of "that's team ball."  To me, that's the high mark and the one constant of the past few years worth of Wartburg teams.  And I hope the current Wartburg players realize this and don't jeopardize it by looking for individual recognition.  Respect, you've got.  Don't look for recognition.  Just play the game the way you guys do and the individual recognition will come to you.  Always remember, despite how trite it may sound or how many times you might have heard it, you play for the name on the front of the uniform.  Everything should be team, team, team. . .

Then, there's Dallas Davis and the Lady Bulldogs.  Another solid program built over the years as well.  But this is a BOYS basketball forum, so maybe I'll get into that subject another time and place.

---rSquared

825545569[/snapback]

Very good post thumb

Wartburg doesn't have a very high schedule rank on here, but they've blown out just about everyone on their schedule.  Expections are the losses and the Rockwood and Harriman games.

825548356[/snapback]

I think you may be forgetting something...oh yeah a 40 point loss to CAK...wait and maybe the fact that Wartburg has yet to beat a quality opponent. If beating 23rd ranked Rockwood is your big accomplishment then you probably shouldn't be asking for respect . Wartburg will get respect when they earn it, not when beat up on awful teams like greenback, sunbright, oakdale, oneida, and coalfield and have a record that shows no good wins. There is not a victory on their schedule worth mentioning when speaking of respect and until there is you should not get huffy about getting no respect. We'll see how worthy of respect Wartburg is when tournament time comes around.

I think you may be forgetting something...oh yeah a 40 point loss to CAK...wait and maybe the fact that Wartburg has yet to beat a quality opponent. If beating 23rd ranked Rockwood is your big accomplishment then you probably shouldn't be asking for respect . Wartburg will get respect when they earn it, not when beat up on awful teams like greenback, sunbright, oakdale, oneida, and coalfield and have a record that shows no good wins. There is not a victory on their schedule worth mentioning when speaking of respect and until there is you should not get huffy about getting no respect. We'll see how worthy of respect Wartburg is when tournament time comes around.

825549102[/snapback]

Oh,I must be missing something,is this the same Rockwood team that CAK only beat by 1 point??? Hmmm...yet your dissing Wartburg for beating a 23rd ranked team???

Number 1,That was early when Wartburg lost to CAK by 40,and went 16 for 69 I believe.

Not saying CAK can't beat them again,but we will see when they come to WArtburg if they are a 40 point better team now,Wartburg has improved a lot since then,where CAK has not and who have they beaten??? Cosby????

So CAK has beaten up on Wartburg,Midway,J Frank White,Coalfield,Grace Christian,Greenback, Kings Academy,and oh,let's not forget The Tennessee School for the Deaf....You still have Cosby and Wartburg away,better worry about that instead of Wartburg's respect,I have a feeling they are going to earn it real soon rather you give it to them or not... thumb

Oh,I must be missing something,is this the same Rockwood team that CAK only beat by 1 point???  Hmmm...yet your dissing Wartburg for beating a 23rd ranked team???

Number 1,That was early when Wartburg lost to CAK by 40,and went 16 for 69 I believe.

Not saying CAK can't beat them again,but we will see when they come to WArtburg if they are a 40 point better team now,Wartburg has improved a lot since then,where CAK has not and who have they beaten??? Cosby????

So CAK has beaten up on Wartburg,Midway,J Frank White,Coalfield,Grace Christian,Greenback, Kings Academy,and oh,let's not forget The Tennessee School for the Deaf....You still have Cosby and Wartburg away,better worry about that instead of Wartburg's respect,I have a feeling they are going to earn it real soon rather you give it to them or not... thumb

825549208[/snapback]

The only intelligent thing you said in your post was that CAK beat up on Wartburg. CAK has already defeated Webb, Cosby, Rockwood, and you all. That would mean that CAK beat the best your district has to offer...by 40 points, and in addition to that we beat the other top team in our region and a strong D-II. I mentioned that Rockwood was ranked 23rd because that is the biggest win of your season and it is your only win against a ranked opponent. Not exactly a great achievement or a warrant for respect. You said that was your first point and yet you failed to mention any more. I'll be at the Wartburg game and we will see just how much better Wartburg has become and how deserving of respect you are.