grace vs. pickett co.

balla4ever20042001

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I went to the game at Grace on Saturday and you could tell that Pickett County was a very good team. Now I am just an onlooker and I was not cheering for Grace or Pickett County, but here are my views on the game. I thought that Pickett County had tons of potential and I could tell that the Baily kid and the Wright kid who was #1 had tons of talent. If these two would have not been in foul trouble i believe that this game would have been a blowout. The only thing I didn't like about the Baily kid is that he seemed to force a few shots. Pickett County did a really good job of getting after Grace on the defensive end of the ball. The press was very effective on the Grace team, however I believe that better coaching from Grace could have beaten the trap a little easier. One negative I really saw about the Pickett County team is they struggled with their free throws big time. If they would have just hit their free throws it would have been over in the thrid quarter. I just think that Pickett County didn't play their best ball and Saturday. And in Pickett County's defense I do agree that they had tons of bad calls that went the other way. Especially at the end with the whole timeout deal, there were just several bad calls against Pickett.

i want to know if any one else saw coach Mathies call a timeout when he didnt have any left and should have gotten a T for it.  I could have swarn that he did but mabye im wrong?

825543403[/snapback]

i was looking right at caoch mathiess and he was calling a timeout. i dont care what anyone else says cause i saw him call for a timeout and he should have got a t.

I saw what Coach M from grace was doing. He was chopping at his other arm  yelling foul. At the point of the game it would be a place to call a timeout, so the ref saw this and I guess thought he was doing timeout.  A reasonable mistake. It had no affect on the game accually ended up giving pickett a bigger lead.

825543496[/snapback]

either way grace got what they wanted- the clock stopped. if the refs wouldnt have stopped the game pickett wouldnt have to trown the ball in until about 1 or 2 seconds left in the game. sice the refs stopped the game the clock stopped at about 6 seconds. could have changed the game but it didnt. thankfully.

Thank you throwitdown, there coach and some of there players were all calling for time, and those sorry blanking officials blew the whistle stopping the clock and then after a nice explanation, didnt call a T and even put more time on the clock than what should have been put up. The officiating was the worst i have ever seen totally biased against Pickett, not only the boys,but the girls as well so they were consistant i guess, noy a compliment to themfor sure. Pickett played through all of that not to mention missing 15 foul shots and probably 10 or more layups. Pickett didnt play there best in Chattanooga, but it was a good experience for them and will only help them the rest of the season and tourney time.

either way grace got what they wanted- the clock stopped. if the refs wouldnt have stopped the game pickett wouldnt have to trown the ball in until about 1 or 2 seconds left in the game. sice the refs stopped the game the clock stopped at about 6 seconds. could have changed the game but it didnt. thankfully.

825543763[/snapback]

You might have been looking @ Coach Mattheiss, but you weren't as close as redandwhite or me. He was chopping his right arm on his left arm yelling "Foul! Foul Now!!" The ref thought Coach was making the timeout hand signal, and things got cleared up and they refs put 6.9 seconds on the clock. This could have been avoided if Grace players would have fouled before the ball was inbounded. Don't understand why more teams don't do this.

Coach Mattheiss would have owned up to it if he had called a timeout. At Nashville Christian, Johnny Parshall had the ball for the winning shot and made it, but Coach yelled for a timeout. The whistle blew and there was discussion wether he called one or not. He owned up to it. With 1.7 seconds to go, Nic Parson tried to tip the inbound pass in, aired it, Nick Van Horn crashed the lane with the putback, and we won the game. Nice guys finish first. Coach is a great guy and good things happen to him. Love ya man.

BTW what school is Nick Van Horn going to in NY, and where can I see his progress and keep up with the team?

Thank you throwitdown, there coach and some of there players were all calling for time, and those sorry blanking officials blew the whistle stopping the clock and then after a nice explanation, didnt call a T and even put more time on the clock than what should have been put up.  The officiating was the worst i have ever seen totally biased against Pickett, not only the boys,but the girls as well so they were consistant i guess, noy a compliment to themfor sure.  Pickett played through all of that not to mention missing 15 foul shots and probably 10 or more layups.  Pickett didnt play there best in Chattanooga, but it was a good experience for them and will only help them the rest of the season and tourney time.

825543778[/snapback]

Officiating was bad @ Temple, but not Grace. Look @ the frequency of fouls for both teams. Grace had three players foul out. How many players did PC have in foul trouble besides Bailey? I wish Bailey hadn't been in foul trouble so I could have seen him play more.

Officiating was bad @ Temple, but not Grace. Look @ the frequency of fouls for both teams. Grace had three players foul out. How many players did PC have in foul trouble besides Bailey? I wish Bailey hadn't been in foul trouble so I could have seen him play more.

825543786[/snapback]

i agree that the calling was not good at temple but i disagree that it was good at grace, i mean even when the call went against grace the refs were very inconsistant. but i also would have liked to seen Bailey play his best here in chattanooga

You might have been looking @ Coach Mattheiss, but you weren't as close as redandwhite or me. He was chopping his right arm on his left arm yelling "Foul! Foul Now!!" The ref thought Coach was making the timeout hand signal, and things got cleared up and they refs put 6.9 seconds on the clock. This could have been avoided if Grace players would have fouled before the ball was inbounded. Don't understand why more teams don't do this.

Coach Mattheiss would have owned up to it if he had called a timeout. At Nashville Christian, Johnny Parshall had the ball for the winning shot and made it, but Coach yelled for a timeout. The whistle blew and there was discussion wether he called one or not. He owned up to it. With 1.7 seconds to go, Nic Parson tried to tip the inbound pass in, aired it, Nick Van Horn crashed the lane with the putback, and we won the game. Nice guys finish first. Coach is a great guy and good things happen to him. Love ya man.

i agree that coach Mathies is a great guy and that he most likely would have owned up to the call Edited by slys5