Cutting players

sonbelt

sonbelt if I were you I would move.  If your kid is capable of playing, I would not deny them of the opportunity because of politics or a goofy ad.  People in power or control do not always do what is best for the group as a whole.  Many times they are looking for whats best for them and their family.  Players will earn their way if given a fair opportunity.  Coaches tend to be close minded when it comes to their agenda, especially when it comes to their child.  Egos, Egos, Egos!  :unsure:

825544554[/snapback]

not all coaches are close minded to their agenda!!! I also know as a coach that most parents also think their son or daughter is thebest thing since michael jordan and no matter how you explain it they do not always understand. They only see what happens at game time and not the hours that are put in during weekly practices. I cut my son from the team during tryouts last year. Even though it tore my heart out to do it he was not one of the 15 best players that tried out for the team.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not all coaches are close minded to their agenda!!!  I also know as a coach that most parents also think their son or daughter is thebest thing since michael jordan and no matter how you explain it they do not always understand.  They only see what happens at game time and not the hours that are put in during weekly practices.  I cut my son from the team during tryouts last year.  Even though it tore my heart out to do it he was not one of the 15 best players that tried out for the team.

825545827[/snapback]

I'm guessing you are divorced now.

It's a big picture thing with coaches. Most of them see it. It's a little picture thing with way too many players and parents. They see what they want to see. I heard Eddie Fogler say on the radio the other night that dealing with parents was one of his biggest headaches he had while at Vandy and those kids were getting a $30,000 a year scholarship.

If you feel like you're getting a raw deal, transfer.

not all coaches are close minded to their agenda!!!  I also know as a coach that most parents also think their son or daughter is thebest thing since michael jordan and no matter how you explain it they do not always understand.  They only see what happens at game time and not the hours that are put in during weekly practices.  I cut my son from the team during tryouts last year.  Even though it tore my heart out to do it he was not one of the 15 best players that tried out for the team.

825545827[/snapback]

You must be a good coach as well as a good parent. Nobody said life was fair. I coach too. :unsure:

It is a shame if this situation happens to any student-athlete. Unfortunately, I am quite sure that it happens frequently. This is a problem that kids are forced to deal with from the time they can hold a bat, shoot a basketball or kick a football. You will always have those parents who will play their kids over more talented ones because they are the coach and they make the choices. Unfortunately, they are unknowingly setting their own child up for failure when it comes to school teams. This situation is of a similar nature. Keeping all kids is insane. Some kids

will be punished for who they aren't. Unfortunately, this does mirror real life. However, I do believe that lessons can be learned from this. My father coached high school sports for 34 years. He won a state championship as a player and later as a coach. He also refereed high school state championships and NAIA national championships. I was in a similar situation as a high school student. My father supported me while not giving me reasons to leave. He had me stick it out and it worked out fine in the long run. I was fortunate. Others are not. I can only say that I would do what I think is best for my child, as I am sure you will. Lessons can be learned either way. I do know that the A.D. s and coaches of this world should do their jobs in an honorable and just fashion. Not because of political gain. It is not fair to the kids. I am an A.D. and coach and things like this offend and embarass me to no end. These people are the ones who give coaches and athletics a bad name. Good luck in your decision making.

i would be looking for a new job if I were you. This A.D. is unethical and unprofessional and nothing will change that. If he is able to control who you have on your team he will control other aspects as well. One of the most sacred duties as a head coach is the opportunity to choose the players you want for your program. At any level. i have worked in a similar situation myself. It is not worth the fight. All A.D.'s are not like that. The A.D. is sopposed to be a coaches biggest supporter and if he doesn't see eye on things or if there is a problem they handle it in private professionally. There are always jobs out there and I would guess a better fit for you.

;) My experience, and I've been on a youth league BOD for 8 years and played from age 9 through high school is that most of the time, the coaches son or daughter IS better than the other kids BECAUSE if they are willing to coach and volunteer their time, they are also willing to put in the yard time with their kid. While you can't teach size or speed, you can teach fundamentals and it doesn't take a freakin' coach! With that being said, I fully realize that some coaches, especially in youth leagues, can't see the forest for the trees. They are so focused on how their kid is doing that they let the team fail.

On the other hand, alot of parents and players are more than ready to bar-be-que the coach because of their own shortcomings. Everyone wants instant gratification without putting in the time or earning their spot. Because they succeeded at a lower level, they expect to have the same success when the bar is raised. If there is a problem with the coach or A.D., more than one kid and one set of parents should be concerned.

I personally think a Freshman or Sophomore should not be carried on the Varsity unless they can play and contribute. I also feel by the end of a players Sophomore season the coach needs to tell them whether or not they see them getting much playing time as a Junior or Senior. If the answer is yes, you carry them. If the answer is no, you have to let them go. Sometimes a coach can get in a bind if they are weak one year and have to carry Freshmen and Sophs and then later they need to cut them. If they don't cut them, they may have a Freshman or Sophomore that should be playing and no where to put them. Chosing teams and cutting players are some of the hardest decisions a coach has to make. But the coach should have the authority to make those decisons not the A.D.