The JNS Delk Brothers

MSUBac2001

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to get some info on both of the Delk boys: stats, profile, etc. I am curious to how good they are; I keep reading that they may be top player(s) in the state, but they are only the third and fourth rated players in the Mississippi State recruiting class. Any help would be appreciated.

825543555[/snapback]

these stats are about a week old and may be a little off:

Reginald Delk- 22 ppg, 8 rpg, 6 apg

Richard Delk- 15 ppg, 7 rpg, 7 apg

Both are 6'5" gaurds so they have good size but their strength could be a weakness in college. They only weigh about 175 and will get pushed around by the stronger gaurds until they hit the weights a little harder. Richard run the point this year and may be the better passer but Reginald is definitely the better scorer. He is a slasher and gets to the rack whenever he wants to but that wont be as easy for him in college until he gets stronger. Both play very unselfish andcould score alot more than they do. Reginald could easily score 30+ ppg and Richard could get 20+.

As far as them not being Miss. St. top recruits, thats because they have a top 5 recruiting class this year. Monta Ellis is considered by some to be the top player in the country and most think he will go straight to the NBA so State probably wont be seeing him. Then they got Goodridge, i dont know anything about him but he is ranked as the top center in the country.

Edited by btowntigers

Good post btown...

Ellis is the #1 player in the nation, and Goodridge is a consensus Top 20 player in the nation. Both are considering the jump to the NBA, but Ellis is a sure bet to do so...

As for the Delks, at the very least, they are 2 of the Top 4 players in the State. I currently have Reginald #1 and Richard #4. There is a great article on them in the Jackson Sun newspaper today. Both have great skills, shoot the ball well, have handles, defense, etc, but they have the intangibles that you just can't teach, that make a great player...

Good post btown...

Ellis is the #1 player in the nation, and Goodridge is a consensus Top 20 player in the nation. Both are considering the jump to the NBA, but Ellis is a sure bet to do so...

As for the Delks, at the very least, they are 2 of the Top 4 players in the State. I currently have Reginald #1 and Richard #4. There is a great article on them in the Jackson Sun newspaper today. Both have great skills, shoot the ball well, have handles, defense, etc, but they have the intangibles that you just can't teach, that make a great player...

825543666[/snapback]

I read the article in the paper since you brought it up and they are jumpin the gun a little to soon on the Delks. Front page-Kobe Bryant, KG, Lebron James, TMac, and then theres the Delk twins. The article was contemplating wether or not they should go pro...there is NO way they could go pro right now. They have a long ways to go before the could even have a shot at makin an NBA roster. Unless they get ALOT stronger 4 years of college wont be anough for either of them to go pro. They have a shot but they have a long ways to go before they will be ready for that. In my opinion they are not as good as uncle Tony was at this point and he hasnt been nothin but and early first round bust so far. They have the NBA bloodline but i just thought this article was crazy for even thinkin they could be ready right now.

The article wasn't saying that they were ready to go pro, or even contemplating it... The article was merely bringing to attention the other side of the pendelum, where top recruits aren't thinking about the pros, but rather excited about getting to college...

And remember, though the twins admittedly have to get stronger, a slight frame is not a complete deterrent to the NBA, as NC State's Julius Hodge is a potential lottery pick, and is rail thin (though stronger than his frame shows, much like the twins), and Detroit's Tayshaun Prince is very thin and lanky as well...

Also, I would definitely not call Tony Delk a "bust"!!! He's played in the NBA for 9 years now (and counting), when the average NBA tenure is a mere 3 years... He also has a 9ppg career scoring average, which is pretty darned solid...

The article wasn't saying that they were ready to go pro, or even contemplating it... The article was merely bringing to attention the other side of the pendelum, where top recruits aren't thinking about the pros, but rather excited about getting to college...

And remember, though the twins admittedly have to get stronger, a slight frame is not a complete deterrent to the NBA, as NC State's Julius Hodge is a potential lottery pick, and is rail thin (though stronger than his frame shows, much like the twins), and Detroit's Tayshaun Prince is very thin and lanky as well...

Also, I would definitely not call Tony Delk a "bust"!!! He's played in the NBA for 9 years now (and counting), when the average NBA tenure is a mere 3 years... He also has a 9ppg career scoring average, which is pretty darned solid...

825544586[/snapback]

The title was "pro or not?" It talked about all the high school kids turning pro last year and was focused on the delks. It may not have said it but you can read between the lines and catch the drift.

You can be small and play in the NBA but how many all stars do you see that are weak and get pushed around by other players at their position. Tayshaun Prince is extremely lanky and he aint a dominate sf either. If you wanna be successful you got have some size or be extremely strong if you are undersized.

Tony Delk is a bust for the spot he was drafted at and his success he had in college. He's had one of the more successful careers for bein one of our local athletes but when you look at the entire league he is a bust and has bounced around all 9 years. Final 4 MVP and he cant even lock down a starting spot on one of the worst teams in the NBA. It amazes me that he can score 50 points in a game but cant be a starter, he's runnin out of time too.